Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:28:01 am

Author Topic: How did you guys study for Math Std2?  (Read 966 times)

sulkondez101

• Adventurer
  • airdebois 2020
  • Respect: 0
How did you guys study for Math Std2?
« on: February 24, 2020, 07:45:24 pm »
Wondering on how to study for Math Std2

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: How did you guys study for Math Std2?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:40:33 pm »
+6
Hey!

I didn't study math standard, but I did study advanced math, so give the following tips a go!

Studying Maths for me was divided into two parts: learning the concept and applying the concept. For the first part, I learned as the teacher explained it and made some notes that fully explain the concept. Ask yourself the question, "Does this makes sense?" or even better, "Can I explain it to a 5-year-old?" This will make sure your understanding is rock solid. To go even one step further, maybe teach another fellow classmate the concept. This will make sure you have a strong foundation on which you can build up your knowledge.

Then comes the application. This is doing questions, more specifically, HSC style questions. You could also do the textbook questions, but HSC questions are the real deal. For myself, I did some textbook questions, making sure I fully know the concept, but afterwards, I move on to exam-style questions. If I didn't know how to do a question, then I looked at the answer. However, the key (at least for me) was to look at the answer, grasp what I had done wrong or how to do the question, close the answers and then attempt the question again. This might seem obvious, but there were far too many times where I just looked at the answer and went "cool" without actually understanding why I had got it wrong!

Now you should keep track of the questions you have gotten wrong and then do them again at a later date. For myself, I took a screenshot of the questions I had gotten wrong along with the answers and then compiled them into a single document. I then reviewed this document the night before the exam, doing all the questions again. You don't have to do this now, otherwise, you will have 1000s of questions to do! Maybe start doing this closer to exams, when you actually start to time yourself while doing whole papers.

Also, do the questions under time if you can. If you get used to the time pressure now, it will be one less thing to worry about when closer to the exam.

Hope that helps!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

sulkondez101

• Adventurer
  • airdebois 2020
  • Respect: 0
Re: How did you guys study for Math Std2?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:08:58 pm »
+1
Hey!

I didn't study math standard, but I did study advanced math, so give the following tips a go!

Studying Maths for me was divided into two parts: learning the concept and applying the concept. For the first part, I learned as the teacher explained it and made some notes that fully explain the concept. Ask yourself the question, "Does this makes sense?" or even better, "Can I explain it to a 5-year-old?" This will make sure your understanding is rock solid. To go even one step further, maybe teach another fellow classmate the concept. This will make sure you have a strong foundation on which you can build up your knowledge.

Then comes the application. This is doing questions, more specifically, HSC style questions. You could also do the textbook questions, but HSC questions are the real deal. For myself, I did some textbook questions, making sure I fully know the concept, but afterwards, I move on to exam-style questions. If I didn't know how to do a question, then I looked at the answer. However, the key (at least for me) was to look at the answer, grasp what I had done wrong or how to do the question, close the answers and then attempt the question again. This might seem obvious, but there were far too many times where I just looked at the answer and went "cool" without actually understanding why I had got it wrong!

Now you should keep track of the questions you have gotten wrong and then do them again at a later date. For myself, I took a screenshot of the questions I had gotten wrong along with the answers and then compiled them into a single document. I then reviewed this document the night before the exam, doing all the questions again. You don't have to do this now, otherwise, you will have 1000s of questions to do! Maybe start doing this closer to exams, when you actually start to time yourself while doing whole papers.

Also, do the questions under time if you can. If you get used to the time pressure now, it will be one less thing to worry about when closer to the exam.

Hope that helps!
Thank you