Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:27:32 am

Author Topic: What is the purpose of metatheatre in The Tempest and Hag-Seed?  (Read 5524 times)

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Hey guys. Obviously metatheatre and the idea the The Tempest is about Prospero putting on a play within Shakespare's play is a key part of the Tempest, and this is obvious in Hag-Seed as well. However, I don't understand why. I can't seem to really understand why Shakespeare or Atwood does this? What does it add? The only idea I can think of is that it exacerbates Prospero's control of everyone else, but that seems pretty weak. Does anyone have any ideas?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: What is the purpose of metatheatre in The Tempest and Hag-Seed?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 11:57:07 am »
+3
Hey, BakerDad12!

Good question! I think the very heart of metatheatre is reinforcing the importance of theatre by drawing attention to its nature, performance and reception. By reminding us that we are watching a play, we become more aware of how much our experiences are mirrored in the activities that unfold before us on the stage. It makes a strong commentary on ideas surrounding agency and legacy which could be good themes to discuss when delving into metatheatricality  :) As a character example, you could look at Prospero's exercise of control as a reflection of Shakespeare, the playwright, manipulating and crafting meaning through his actions. Atwood places a play within a novel instead which might suggest the way drama has enduring value and can continue to inspire literature of all kinds and forms. The novel form also enables her to give us a "backstage" glimpse into the production and rehearsal process, all of which contributes to the ideas of the artist have agency and being able to form their own legacy from their work. Hope that gives you some ideas on what you might pursue in your response!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music