Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:26:30 am

Author Topic: VTAC Applications - What does everyone want to do after 2020?  (Read 2803 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
VTAC Applications - What does everyone want to do after 2020?
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:17:31 am »
+12
I for one am looking at Bachelor of Paramedicine/Nursing at ACU or Bachelor of Paramedicine at Monash. I'm not particularly fond of ACU due to the fact it is the Australian Catholic University but I think i prefer a double degree so that I have more doors open. As much as I want to become a paramedic, I can't guarantee it'll happen or maybe ill end up hating it. I want a plan to fall back on BUT Monash is in a better location for me and if i live on res first year it'll be a lot cheaper than ACU.

What are everyone else's thoughts on VTAC applications and tertiary education?
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: VTAC Applications - What does everyone want to do after 2020?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 10:57:08 am »
+8
I for one am looking at Bachelor of Paramedicine/Nursing at ACU or Bachelor of Paramedicine at Monash. I'm not particularly fond of ACU due to the fact it is the Australian Catholic University but I think i prefer a double degree so that I have more doors open. As much as I want to become a paramedic, I can't guarantee it'll happen or maybe ill end up hating it. I want a plan to fall back on BUT Monash is in a better location for me and if i live on res first year it'll be a lot cheaper than ACU.

This is so exciting! Can't wait to find out what everyone is applying for :D

Can't comment on the quality of the courses but the Peninsula campus of Monash is amazing and I lived on campus for 2 years. Definitely recommend. If you like nature and a peaceful environment, it's the perfect campus for you ;)

ritosno

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 08:57:26 pm »
+7
Interstate (NSW) applicant, just sent in my VTAC app.

Put medicine in my preferences list, probably won't get an interview due to a low ATAR (I did M20 IB exams so my ATAR is already set) but figured why on earth not (also, parental pressure xd). After that I've got Bachelor of Physiotherapy at Monash (loved the job since I found out what a physio was), Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Midwifery at Monash, Bachelor of Physiotherapy at La Trobe, then Occupational Therapy at Monash and La Trobe.

Really hope I get physio at Monash though, again the ATAR is a bit off the lowest selection rank from last year but it's not too much, hopefully they'll be more lenient than they would with medicine.
2020: IB Diploma Program (37/95.45) | HL: Biology, Chemistry, Economics | SL: English Language and Literature, Mathematics, French B

2021: Bachelor of Science (Physiotherapy)

aayush_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 11:17:52 am »
+8

I'm looking to get into Bachelor of Physiotherapy at Monash campus :) Physio has always been something that has stood out to me and is something that I would love to persure. The location of the Peninsula campus is also convenient  at around a 10 minute drive

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 02:23:07 pm »
+7
Interstate (NSW) applicant, just sent in my VTAC app.

Put medicine in my preferences list, probably won't get an interview due to a low ATAR (I did M20 IB exams so my ATAR is already set) but figured why on earth not (also, parental pressure xd). After that I've got Bachelor of Physiotherapy at Monash (loved the job since I found out what a physio was), Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Midwifery at Monash, Bachelor of Physiotherapy at La Trobe, then Occupational Therapy at Monash and La Trobe.

Really hope I get physio at Monash though, again the ATAR is a bit off the lowest selection rank from last year but it's not too much, hopefully they'll be more lenient than they would with medicine.

I'm looking to get into Bachelor of Physiotherapy at Monash campus :) Physio has always been something that has stood out to me and is something that I would love to persure. The location of the Peninsula campus is also convenient  at around a 10 minute drive

So exciting to have so many prospective physio students here!

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 12:23:59 pm »
+5
I'm not particularly fond of ACU due to the fact it is the Australian Catholic University but I think i prefer a double degree so that I have more doors open.

I don't think you should put too much weight on its name ;) I know many people doing Nursing and/or Paramedicine at ACU (none of them Catholic, btw) and they all love it! Also, their nursing course is highly regarded in Australia. I don't know about Monash but I know ACU's placement opportunities are also amazing (placements in hospitals like St Vincent's and Werribee Mercy from first year!)

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 01:07:23 pm »
+9
I do know that I really want to go to Melbourne Uni and do the Bachelor of Science.

Not entirely sure what to do afterwards though - I'm thinking a major in Chemistry/Bioengineering Systems/Pharmacology.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 06:33:13 pm »
+9
Nursing at Monash.
May change but I don't think so.
EDIT: It has. I'm now even more confident than I was then, what I want to do. Now all I need to do is qualify for it...
Thus, my preferences are:
Bachelor of Nursing/Midwifery @ Deakin
Bachelor of Nursing @ Deakin
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 10:19:38 pm by The Cat In The Hat »
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 06:59:42 pm »
+10
Science at Melbourne.

2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 09:33:09 pm »
+6
I've put in my preferences as
Nursing @ Monash Peninsula (aim is to to go on to do paramed honours)
Nursing/Paramed @ ACU
Paramed @ Monash Peninsula
Paramed @ Latrobe
— VCE —

— University —

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 10:05:12 pm »
+3
I've put in my preferences as
Nursing @ Monash Peninsula (aim is to to go on to do paramed honours)
Nursing/Paramed @ ACU
Paramed @ Monash Peninsula
Paramed @ Latrobe

What ended up making you pick that pathway at Monash over the ACU double?

Unsure if you've ever been to the Peninsula campus but it's great. Have loved my 4 years there!

DumpleDorf

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 11:23:48 pm »
+5
I'm really interested in Artificial Intelligence so initially, I was so hyped towards the Bachelor of Artificial Intelligence course offered at Deakin. Although, later down the track, I thought it was better to do a wider course and then maybe specialize in Artificial Intelligence, as it'd give me a better opportunity to find employment as soon as I leave university.

So right now, I'm deadset on doing the Bachelor of Computer Science at RMIT University as my first preference. For my second and third, I've got the Bachelor of Science (Majoring in Data Science) at University of Melbourne and Bachelor of Computer Science at Monash University.

Hopefully I get that 80 ATAR requirement ahah! Fingers crossed.
2019: Software Development [34]
2020: English Language, Methods, Physics, Accounting, Systems Engineering
ATAR Goal: 80.00
1st Course Preference: Bachelor of Computer Science @ RMIT University

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 09:36:07 am »
+4
What ended up making you pick that pathway at Monash over the ACU double?

Unsure if you've ever been to the Peninsula campus but it's great. Have loved my 4 years there!
A few things actually:
1. campus is closer to home (1.5hrs compared to acu being 3hrs)
2. both pathways take the same amount of time from my understanding (Monash: nursing 3 yrs, paramed 1 yr; ACU: nursing/paramed 4yrs) but also what is an extra year or 2 in the grand scheme of things?
3. Res is cheaper at monash and rent is cheaper in Frankston (plus I have family in Rosebud), then Ballarat
4. I could find a job as a nurse and do paramed part time, also according to people I know that work at AV the ones that are also RN do better and last longer in the service and don't struggle as much.
5. and as silly as it seems monash has a better rep than acu, and from what I've heard monash does online learning better than acu but idk how accurate that it which is why this point is at the bottom of my list!

I've heard such good things about the Peninsula campus and tbch I'd choose the beach over literally anywhere anytime (the uni is 2km from the pier)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:39:46 am by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 11:29:55 am »
+2
A few things actually:
1. campus is closer to home (1.5hrs compared to acu being 3hrs)
2. both pathways take the same amount of time from my understanding (Monash: nursing 3 yrs, paramed 1 yr; ACU: nursing/paramed 4yrs) but also what is an extra year or 2 in the grand scheme of things?
3. Res is cheaper at monash and rent is cheaper in Frankston (plus I have family in Rosebud), then Ballarat
4. I could find a job as a nurse and do paramed part time, also according to people I know that work at AV the ones that are also RN do better and last longer in the service and don't struggle as much.
5. and as silly as it seems monash has a better rep than acu, and from what I've heard monash does online learning better than acu but idk how accurate that it which is why this point is at the bottom of my list!

I've heard such good things about the Peninsula campus and tbch I'd choose the beach over literally anywhere anytime (the uni is 2km from the pier)
All sounds like really good reasoning to me! I know a lot of paramedics actually started out as nurses then got their paramed qualifications - sounds like a really good way to go. Especially with going into healthcare I think taking an extra few years and gaining maturity is never a bad thing, especially when you're going to be dealing with challenging situations.

I lived on res at Peninsula for 2 years - was really handy being super close to campus! A lot of students do one year on res then end up renting in Frankston or nearby suburbs with friends. Being closer to home is big as well - it's a bit over 1.5 from Peninsula to my parents place also and it's nice to know that if you really need them, they're not that far away.