Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:29:43 am

Author Topic: Do answers have to be written in pen for the exam this year?  (Read 4428 times)  Share 

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Do answers have to be written in pen for the exam this year?
« on: October 17, 2019, 04:33:58 pm »
hey guys! today our teacher notified us that for both the method exams we must write all our answers in PEN as the exams r going to be scanned. but idk if this is 100% true but im hoping its not bc i literally cant do math w/o making mistakes. and were not even allowed white out so idk how im gonna do the exam. do any of yall know if this is true?? pls help!!

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
Re: Do answers have to be written in pen for the exam this year?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 04:44:43 pm »
You are meant to do pen, as pencil can not show up on the scanned document. I have heard of some people doing it in really dark pencil, but it's safest to use pen...you don't want to lose marks because it didn't show up!
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 05:18:00 pm »
You are meant to do pen, as pencil can not show up on the scanned document. I have heard of some people doing it in really dark pencil, but it's safest to use pen...you don't want to lose marks because it didn't show up!
ohh i see, since were supposed to do it in pen what do we do if we use up all the working space and then realised we made a mistake? do we just cross it all out or write it on another sheet? bc all the students who previously did methods used pencil, dunno why they changed it yikes

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 05:23:57 pm »
ohh i see, since were supposed to do it in pen what do we do if we use up all the working space and then realised we made a mistake? do we just cross it all out or write it on another sheet? bc all the students who previously did methods used pencil, dunno why they changed it yikes
Not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure you can make a note on the page saying "working out on page 12" or whatever page it is, and write on there. So the pages that are blank, you can do your working out and leave your answer there (but of course labeling the question and part that it was from on the blank page to make it clear to examiners). Or, of course, if there is a blank space at the top of the page that the question is on, you can just draw an arrow to this area so the examiners know where to look. Might want to double check with your teacher though just to be sure!

Edit: also make sure you don't use erasable pens on the scanned exams - these can disappear with heat so theres a risk it could not show up!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:40:44 pm by galaxy21 »
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 07:36:12 pm »
In the exam front covers, it says exam 1 is pen or dark pencil, and exam 2 is still pencil. They changed it because when you scan the writing, and you’ve rubbed something out, that will still show up in the scan so it’s confusing for examiners. Dark pencil is fine as long as you’re not rubbing anything out (exam 1). At least that’s what my teacher said.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 07:44:37 pm »
+2
Not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure you can make a note on the page saying "working out on page 12" or whatever page it is, and write on there. So the pages that are blank, you can do your working out and leave your answer there (but of course labeling the question and part that it was from on the blank page to make it clear to examiners). Or, of course, if there is a blank space at the top of the page that the question is on, you can just draw an arrow to this area so the examiners know where to look. Might want to double check with your teacher though just to be sure!
I would advise on writing answers in places other than that particular question. Whilst scanning exams in methods is new it has been done in other subjects. Although I don't know the exact way methods exams will be marked for this year I know in those other subjects (like Biology) the assessors mark the same question 50-100 times (for 50-100 students) and then move onto another question so may not be able to physically  go to other pages of the exam.

Tbh you could probably get away with pencil and it will scan but personally I wouldn't take the chance so would use pen and cross out answers if necessary.

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 08:24:39 pm »
I would advise on writing answers in places other than that particular question. Whilst scanning exams in methods is new it has been done in other subjects. Although I don't know the exact way methods exams will be marked for this year I know in those other subjects (like Biology) the assessors mark the same question 50-100 times (for 50-100 students) and then move onto another question so may not be able to physically  go to other pages of the exam.

Tbh you could probably get away with pencil and it will scan but personally I wouldn't take the chance so would use pen and cross out answers if necessary.
ohh so if we dont have any working space for a question should we write it on a separate sheet of like working out paper or smth and then slip it in at the end??

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 08:26:35 pm »
In the exam front covers, it says exam 1 is pen or dark pencil, and exam 2 is still pencil. They changed it because when you scan the writing, and you’ve rubbed something out, that will still show up in the scan so it’s confusing for examiners. Dark pencil is fine as long as you’re not rubbing anything out (exam 1). At least that’s what my teacher said.
yikes not rubbing anything out on an exam will be hella hard for me lol. but do u think a 2B pencil would qualify as a dark pencil?? if not do u hv any other suggestions for dark pencils??

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 08:28:39 pm »

Edit: also make sure you don't use erasable pens on the scanned exams - these can disappear with heat so theres a risk it could not show up!
ooo i gotchu,, and yea ill check w my teacher asap!! thanks for the help!! :)