Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:37:11 pm

Author Topic: How did I get a Monash medicine interview offer? (Update: got medicine!)  (Read 6257 times)  Share 

samk77

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +7
Hey guys I know I’m leaving this late, my interview is in just a few days yikes but I’ve been a bit nonchalant because I reckon it’s not even worth it. I say this because my atar and umat are really bad and I never thought I’d get an interview, umat 72 atar 98.4 how in the world did I get an interview offer? No seas no rural no nothing so I know I’m at the bottom of the barrel and my speaking skills really aren’t that great I really doubt I stand a chance at this point. Honestly feels like such a tease lmao got to this stage somehow but for what ... kinda wish I never got the offer. What are people’s thoughts on this, did I luck out getting an interview? Is it possible to get into the course still if I do my best in the interview?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:44:08 pm by samk77 »

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
How did I get a Monash medicine interview offer?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 01:32:59 pm »
Use the seas calculator here - https://www.monash.edu/study/atar-calculator

It is possible your selection rank is much higher even though you don’t have seas. I think Monash does some calculations separate from VTAC.

ETA: there is some more discussion on this here —> https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=183031
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:35:05 pm by Lear »
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

samk77

• Adventurer
Re: How did I get a Monash medicine interview offer?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 01:47:01 pm »
Use the seas calculator here - https://www.monash.edu/study/atar-calculator

It is possible your selection rank is much higher even though you don’t have seas. I think Monash does some calculations separate from VTAC.

ETA: there is some more discussion on this here —> https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=183031

idk I kinda doubt my selection rank has been affected by anything, I applied for no special considerations at all I'm as standard a domestic applicant as they come

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 01:52:16 pm »
After putting your address and school did the Calculator boost you?

I didn’t expect a boost myself but my ATAR gets boosted to 99.95. Worth the check.
Subjects

samk77

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:01:57 pm »
After putting your address and school did the Calculator boost you?

I didn’t expect a boost myself but my ATAR gets boosted to 99.95. Worth the check.

Unfortunately no boost for me 😔 Expected as much though, thanks for the suggestion

geek123456

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 07:18:55 pm »
+8
No matter what your atar or umat was I think you should still try your very best!
What if you are not at"the bottom of the barrel"?
What if you are so near the top, that the interview you are going to have soon might pull you up and give you that place!
If you try your best, and not just let this opportunity to go,I think you still might have a shot
You are so lucky to get an interview when so many out there would do anything to get in your place!
You still have time
I have no prior experience giving med interviews but I think a few searches will lead to many resources:)
Try sitting down with family/friends discussing ideas to improve your flow of speech
Wishing you the very best!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 07:44:41 pm »
+9
Agree with the above. Even if you don't think you're deserving of this opportunity and that nothing will come with it, you're still in with a much better chance than the many hundreds of students who didn't even get an interview offer. There is little to gain from tanking it because you think you won't get in. All tanking it will do is make sure that that is a certainty; whereas, if you give it a try, sure you might still be rejected at the end of the day but you'll know that you gave it your best chance and you'll also have developed some interview skills to boot.

If you are genuinely keen on doing medicine, there is also graduate entry to consider, which at the end of the day will also necessitate an interview. Having had an opportunity to hone your interview skills before you even begin that pathway is an excellent way to develop your skills when, inevitably, you have to sit an interview for graduate med.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

samk77

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 11:33:13 am »
+9
Just an update for people who see this:
Got a second round offer today!!! It was so unexpected but I’m stoked haha, anything is possible I guess. (BMP spot, but doesn’t matter to me I’ll take anything)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 07:20:29 pm by samk77 »

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 11:48:12 am »
Congratulations :)))

Now come join the Monash Med 2023 Facebook group.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/552003988578017?ref=share
Subjects