Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:27 pm

Author Topic: How to Write a Module B Essay  (Read 81392 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: How to Write a Module B Essay
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 06:05:53 pm »
This is a sample essay paragraph I found (on hamlet) and I'm stuggling to understand the structure of a body paragraph (what you have to write in a body paragraph
Could someone here please explain to be this body paragraph and the structure of it because I can't seem to understand the structure of these things
Thanks

Hey conic! Sure, so there are multiple ways to structure a body paragraph, but this one works sort of like the following:

The use of delay to create a play which happens outside of ‘reality’ and thus remains internalised and wrought with anaphasia is most evident in the characterisation of Hamlet. Hamlet’s diction is littered with binary oppositions, such as in his opening line “a little more than kin and less than kind”, indicating that he inhabits and speaks within a space where the constant state of flux has rendered ideas without opposition unpalatable. Hamlet’s inability to speak without binary oppositions is directly related to his inability to act, and this is shown in his soliloquy, “to be or not to be, that is the question”, where the binary oppositions of existence and selfhood are placed in the sphere of movement, only to cause further inaction, adding to the overall delay of the play. It is this delay in the action which causes Act 5 Scene 2 to erupt with such bloodshed, as shown through the repetitious stage directions: “He dies”, and “dies” are repeated four times in the scene. And yet, even in the single scene of action in this play, these deaths, too, are delayed. Laertes, Gertrude, Claudius and Hamlet all speak between receiving their final wounds and dying, indicating that it is the loss of speech, rather than loss of life, that is the most crucial part of mankind, and will be lost in death. In addition to this, despite the question of whether or not to kill Claudius functioning within the play as a metaphor for the question of whether or not existence is worthwhile, it is Claudius who is the last to die (barring Hamlet), delaying resolution even in a moment of confrontation. This delay and its cause has been widely attributed to the Elizabethan guilt complex, and obsession with “the functions of conscience and especially its morbid preoccupation with past sins and omissions” (Reed, 1958). By obsessing over the dangers of inaction, Hamlet creates further delay for himself, ultimately halting any action or resolution that the play could come to.

The introduction introduces the concept to be discussed. In this case, the link to the text (usually called the amplification) is blended into the introductory sentence.

The analysis is just techniques, examples, and impacts it's the core of the response

The reference to a critic is specific to Module B, and it is using the opinion of an "expert" to (usually) accentuate your own position.

The conclusion summarises the main idea of the paragraph and links to the question being asked (without the question I can only assume, but it looks like it)

Again, this paragraph chooses not to employ an amplification, and it includes a critic; neither of those things are mandatory (I never did either). Take note of how the introduction and conclusion are used to introduce and summarise ideas that are explored cleverly in the analysis; that's the big thing to understand ;D

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 12:12:28 am »
My English teacher is super keen on using critics & readings... not as the main basis for an essay, but definitely to integrate/name drop throughout. How much of that should we have in a Mod B essay?
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 10:24:29 am »
My English teacher is super keen on using critics & readings... not as the main basis for an essay, but definitely to integrate/name drop throughout. How much of that should we have in a Mod B essay?

The rubric does require you to look closely at the perspective of others, so I see where you're coming from! I think that looking at at least one perspective other than your own in each paragraph/idea is a good approach! That way you aren't clouding your own perspective, but are taking on other ideas to inform your own.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

arleee

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Bulahdelah Central School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 08:02:08 am »
Just a quick query, should we have production references in our Mod B essays? My teacher really stressed this, and some of the other kids in my class had three + references to different productions of Hamlet! My essay has none, and I don't know whether it needs some or not  :-\

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 10:29:16 am »
Just a quick query, should we have production references in our Mod B essays? My teacher really stressed this, and some of the other kids in my class had three + references to different productions of Hamlet! My essay has none, and I don't know whether it needs some or not  :-\

This is an interesting one. I can't give you a definitive answer simply because I'm just not sure! But I don't think it is a criteria for a band 6, seeing as not all Mod B texts have have productions. Perhaps your teacher is stressing it because she or he finds that it is a characteristic of the best Hamlet essays she has read? I'm not entirely certain why referencing productions would be beneficial. Why do you think it might be?

Emerald99

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 11:14:27 pm »
Do we have to include textual integrity in every essay, even if the question doesn't ask for it?

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 10:23:56 am »
Do we have to include textual integrity in every essay, even if the question doesn't ask for it?

In short, yes. It should come through in your writing regardless of the question, since its a major part of the Module itself. So you don't have to use the words "textual integrity" explicitly, but it wouldn't hurt to have that idea thrown in a few sentences throughout your essay. You're not just answering the question, you're answering the Module too.
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 11:43:45 am »

It is mentioned in the very short rubric at least twice, so yes. The idea of textual integrity should be a focus in your essay, even if it is just a supporting idea to your other arguments. As Sarah said, it doesn't need to be the exact words "textual integrity" each time, but also coherency, integrity, quality, etc.

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 01:51:18 am »
how many critics are needed? also can they all be from the same person or need to be different?

arleee

• Adventurer
  • School: Bulahdelah Central School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 06:56:08 am »
This is an interesting one. I can't give you a definitive answer simply because I'm just not sure! But I don't think it is a criteria for a band 6, seeing as not all Mod B texts have have productions. Perhaps your teacher is stressing it because she or he finds that it is a characteristic of the best Hamlet essays she has read? I'm not entirely certain why referencing productions would be beneficial. Why do you think it might be?

Well, my English teacher is also my drama teacher and so she is big on it, she's really convinced that it could be a question in the exam. I think I might add some, just to be sure, I think that will cover all my bases :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 11:52:55 am »
how many critics are needed? also can they all be from the same person or need to be different?

Hey! How many are needed? Zero, I got 20/20 without external critics, so there is no minimum requirement you need to meet to get a good result! Most essays I see tie in a critic once per paragraph though, can be from different people or all from the same (doesn't matter), and that seems to work really well!

In short, no specific criteria here, the critics you use are just extra evidence so you can work with them however you think best :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 11:56:02 am »
Well, my English teacher is also my drama teacher and so she is big on it, she's really convinced that it could be a question in the exam. I think I might add some, just to be sure, I think that will cover all my bases :)

Just to add my two cents (and I don't specifically mean to disagree with your teacher), but asking a question specifically on productions would be a long shot. Like, as Elyse has said, not all texts have productions, so how would they keep that requirement from disadvantaging Hamlet students? Further, does anyone actually watch more than one version of the play? That seems like a bit overkill, so I hugely doubt that they'd press it specifically.

That said, I've seen essays that explore the modern interpretation of the play, specifically looking at what a modern take on the ideas has done and how it helps play the themes to a more universal audience, and it works well. So while looking at different productions isn't mandatory, it can be a great way to add some sophistication, if it works for you. Just one of the many ways to do well in a Module B response, in my opinion ;D

vyca

• Trailblazer
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 11:58:48 am »
I'm having trouble weaving the notion of textual integrity into my essay,
for example I wrote this,
" Eliot establishes his modern milieu in the simile “the evening is spread out against the sky like a patient etherised upon a table”. The comparison to a comatose patient creates a jarring image of numbness and paralysis to explicate the inertia and topor that pervades modernity."
How would I mention textual integrity? Thankyou

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 01:18:22 pm »
" Eliot establishes his modern milieu in the simile “the evening is spread out against the sky like a patient etherised upon a table”. The comparison to a comatose patient creates a jarring image of numbness and paralysis to explicate the inertia and topor that pervades modernity."

Great sentence vyca!! So remember that textual integrity is defined by the syllabus as: The unity of a text; its coherent use of form and language to produce an integrated whole in terms of meaning and value. (p 100)

So to mention textual integrity, you would need to mention how well this simile encompasses the main ideas of your text (hopefully established in your Thesis). So, phrases like "re-enforces the over-arching theme of _________" is what you are looking for. You may also wish to explore context as something related to textual integrity - Since the composer crafts a piece representative of their values, context can be linked here :) :) :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2016, 05:27:33 pm »

For poems, I think the word oeuvre is GREAT! I would say things like, "The textual integrity of W B Yeats' oeuvre insists that the content of the poems resonates with audiences..." Jamon is spot on, I just thought I'd give you a new word to use :)