Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:44:42 pm

Author Topic: Future Pathway BSc or BBiomed to MD  (Read 1327 times)  Share 

EragusTrenzalore

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Future Pathway BSc or BBiomed to MD
« on: August 14, 2017, 06:19:52 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm in Year 12 now and starting uni next year and am just wondering whether it's feasible to do a Bachelor of Science degree or Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Science double degree at Monash university and then apply to the MD at the University of Melbourne? I generally prefer the courses at Monash at the undergraduate level because of the greater flexibility and ability to do double majors in the case of the BSc.
Is there anyone who has done this, and what were your experiences?

Note also that I am currently applying for Monash undergraduate medicine, but I am not sure at all at this stage whether I'll get in.

Thanks.
Nothing worth having comes easy.

2016: Geography
2017: Literature, Mathematical Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Economics

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: Future Pathway BSc or BBiomed to MD
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 10:16:10 pm »
+5
I believe starting soon (or maybe even this year or previous years), most graduate medicine spots at Monash will be reserved for people who did BBiomed at Monash. I'm talking like 80% of the spots or something really high like that.

If you are seriously considering medicine, i would very much recommend you do biomed for this simple reason.

If you are unsure, i would probably take science considering it is far more flexible. Bsc/BBiomed is also an option here. A dual degree means you sacrifice a decent amount of choice regarding minors and electives but its generally OK.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:18:13 pm by slothpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:32:11 pm »
+8
Hi everyone,

I'm in Year 12 now and starting uni next year and am just wondering whether it's feasible to do a Bachelor of Science degree or Bachelor of Biomedical Science/Science double degree at Monash university and then apply to the MD at the University of Melbourne? I generally prefer the courses at Monash at the undergraduate level because of the greater flexibility and ability to do double majors in the case of the BSc.

Note also that I am currently applying for Monash undergraduate medicine, but I am not sure at all at this stage whether I'll get in.

Thanks.
Monash graduate medicine only takes monash undergrad students. That is 50 out of the 75 spots reserved for biomed students along with the other 25 being avaliable for biomed/science/etc (health realted courses)

But to answer your question directly yes you can go monash Bsc and then do MD at UoM

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 09:19:39 pm »
+4

Hi everyone,

Thanks.

Yes you can. You're treated just the same as a student from UniMelb in terms of selection. Some of my best friends in Med did this, as is my girlfriend :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

EragusTrenzalore

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 06:47:13 pm »
I believe starting soon (or maybe even this year or previous years), most graduate medicine spots at Monash will be reserved for people who did BBiomed at Monash. I'm talking like 80% of the spots or something really high like that.

If you are seriously considering medicine, i would very much recommend you do biomed for this simple reason.

If you are unsure, i would probably take science considering it is far more flexible. Bsc/BBiomed is also an option here. A dual degree means you sacrifice a decent amount of choice regarding minors and electives but its generally OK.

Thanks for your reply. I believe that 50 places for Graduate Medicine at Monash out of the total 75 are reserved for Biomed students from Monash , as stated by Sine. Do you know if double degree students who studied Biomedical Science and another degree will also be eligible for this pathway?

Also, I see that you did three majors in during your BSc. How were you able to do this and what was the experience like?

Monash graduate medicine only takes monash undergrad students. That is 50 out of the 75 spots reserved for biomed students along with the other 25 being avaliable for biomed/science/etc (health realted courses)

But to answer your question directly yes you can go monash Bsc and then do MD at UoM

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if double degree students who studied Biomedical Science and another degree will also be eligible for those 50 places, or is it just single degree students?

Yes you can. You're treated just the same as a student from UniMelb in terms of selection. Some of my best friends in Med did this, as is my girlfriend :)

Thanks for your reply. It's great to know that there are people who take this pathway!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:06:42 pm by keltingmeith »
Nothing worth having comes easy.

2016: Geography
2017: Literature, Mathematical Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Economics

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 07:21:49 pm »
+5
Thanks for your reply. I believe that 50 places for Graduate Medicine at Monash out of the total 75 are reserved for Biomed students from Monash , as stated by Sine. Do you know if double degree students who studied Biomedical Science and another degree will also be eligible for this pathway?

Also, I see that you did three majors in during your BSc. How were you able to do this and what was the experience like?

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if double degree students who studied Biomedical Science and another degree will also be eligible for those 50 places, or is it just single degree students?

Thanks for your reply. It's great to know that there are people who take this pathway!
yes 100% double degree students are also eligible for this you just need to apply in the penultimate year of your degree.