Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:52:49 am

Author Topic: some hw help.  (Read 1702 times)  Share 

VCEAcc34

some hw help.
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:21:35 pm »
emotional attachment by an infant to a caregiver - reflexive behaviour
speaking in high-pitched 'baby talk' to an infant - learned behaviour
being scared of snakes - reflexive behaviour?
scratching an itch - reflexive behaviour..
nodding in agreement - learned behaviour
smoking cigarettes - learned behaviour
percieving an illusion - ?
whistling - learned behaviour
walking - maturation
playing - learned behaviour
curiosity - reflexive behaviour
sleeping - reflexive behaviour
loving - ?
roller skating - learned behaviour

i don't know which could be a fixed action pattern because i think those usually appear in animals and such and not humans.

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: some hw help.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:15 pm »
Loving (or attraction) I think is maturation.
Perceiving an illusion I think would be a learned behaviour, but I'm not confident about that.
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 06:43:08 pm »
Pretty sure being scared of snakes is a learned behaviour as it's not uniform for all humans (crikey mate...remind you of someone?)
Doctor of Medicine

VCEAcc34

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:50:05 pm »
haha thanks man.

Is any of those Fixed Action Patterns?

Most of those are right...right?

MeLucky

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 06:08:00 pm »
Pretty sure being scared of snakes is a learned behaviour as it's not uniform for all humans (crikey mate...remind you of someone?)
It could probably be argued that being scared of snakes is a reflex action as snakes pose a natural harm to us and it may be a survival instinct that was ingrained into us.
But then again, there are cultures around the world that are not really scared of snakes.
And the fact that seeing a snake does not always evoke an automatic involuntary response in everyone.
These questions make you think lol
Bleh.

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:19:05 pm »
...don't over think it.

Think about it this way - when you were born you didn't even know what a snake was. You had to LEARN to be scared of snakes - if you had to learn it how on earth is it a reflex?

follow?:)
Doctor of Medicine

Camo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:23:49 pm »
It could probably be argued that being scared of snakes is a reflex action as snakes pose a natural harm to us and it may be a survival instinct that was ingrained into us.
But then again, there are cultures around the world that are not really scared of snakes.
And the fact that seeing a snake does not always evoke an automatic involuntary response in everyone.
These questions make you think lol

Well we are talking bout a phobia of snakes so doesn't the person have to learn to fear the snake due to a specific reason like being conditioned to fear the snake. E.g similar to the little albert experiment. All I know is that phobias deal with the amygdala.

Are phobias developed by learning to fear or are they naturally occuring?
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 06:30:06 pm »
Would have no clue. Why? Phobias are late Unit 4 AOS2......reflexes are the beginning of Unit 4:AOS1.
Doctor of Medicine

Camo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 06:32:41 pm »
Just interested. :) Thanks ssNake.
- William James.