Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:03:54 pm

Author Topic: Last minute tips for the selective school exams  (Read 178209 times)  Share 

successismygoal

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Last minute tips for the selective school exams
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2019, 08:27:34 pm »
Hey people, I have a really important selective schools exam coming up very very soon. i just wanted as many last minute tips that I could get for the topics in the maths (equations?), and for numerical reasoning. 
Please reply wen you can.
VCE
2022: |Biology [43]| |Legal [50]|

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2019, 09:35:48 pm »
Hey people, I have a really important selective schools exam coming up very very soon. i just wanted as many last minute tips that I could get for the topics in the maths (equations?), and for numerical reasoning. 
Please reply wen you can.
Same lol, what school u going for and what school r u in rn?

successismygoal

• Adventurer
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2019, 10:47:41 am »
hey I am going for Nossal and I go to a school in Glen Waverley. What about you?
VCE

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2019, 12:28:37 pm »
hey I am going for Nossal and I go to a school in Glen Waverley. What about you?
Oh, I’m trying out for MHS n Suzanne Cory n I go to a school near sunbury(15 min drive). 2 min drive from the water gardens train station if u heard of that.

successismygoal

• Adventurer
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2019, 12:35:13 pm »
so do you know of anything major that needs to be done to revise in terms of the maths and numerical portion of the exam?
VCE

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2019, 01:00:25 pm »
so do you know of anything major that needs to be done to revise in terms of the maths and numerical portion of the exam?
Um, I’m just revising my spectrum tuition work, do u go tutor or no

successismygoal

• Adventurer
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2019, 02:29:26 pm »
Yea I used to, but not anymore, but what do spectrum teach you in terms of the maths and numerical?
VCE

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2019, 03:08:42 pm »
Yea I used to, but not anymore, but what do spectrum teach you in terms of the maths and numerical?
Quadratics, linear equations, rate, financial mathematics, magic squares, missing line grids are the ones I can think from the top of my head.

successismygoal

• Adventurer
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2019, 03:34:24 pm »
Thanks! And do we need to learn complex worded problems? Have they taught you that as well?
VCE

Louis23

• Forum Regular
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2019, 04:05:51 pm »
+1
Can anyone please tell me any topics i should know for the selective entry exam (All subjects).

And does anyone have any practice test?

I am trying out for Nossal

BAH0003

• Trailblazer
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2019, 05:12:57 pm »
Thanks! And do we need to learn complex worded problems? Have they taught you that as well?

Hi there,

I did the selective entry exams a few years ago, is there anything in particular you would also like to know? There are from what I can remember a few worded problems but they only take up a small portion of the maths parts. Most of the questions are from using diagrams and straightfoward questions, but there were some worded ones on triganometry and some financial maths.

Hope that helps!

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2019, 05:15:11 pm »
Um, they have. Worded problems are a must!

successismygoal

• Adventurer
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2019, 05:41:14 pm »
Hi there,

I did the selective entry exams a few years ago, is there anything in particular you would also like to know? There are from what I can remember a few worded problems but they only take up a small portion of the maths parts. Most of the questions are from using diagrams and straightfoward questions, but there were some worded ones on triganometry and some financial maths.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for that! could you tell me if the trigonometry questions ask you to actually solve a problem or merely just form an equation using soh cah toa? Also with the financial maths, is there compund interest involved or just finding percentages of initial prices and savings, interest, etc? Please reply when you can
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:03:09 pm by successismygoal »
VCE

thatdumbbihh

• Adventurer
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2019, 11:07:24 pm »
Hey everybody,
I made an account on ATAR Notes today to ask this question:
Have you guys got any good tips on how to complete the mathematical (mathematics, numerical reasoning) tests in time or to improve the time it takes to do questions?
I find myself struggling with the time aspect for those two but am not worried about the rest as I attend James An (did my last test this sat) and always get the highest category. On the James An mock test, also got superiors for the English stuff. I'm atrocious at the math under pressure and on the mock test got low averages as I had woken up late and was completely stressed out. Usually, in the normal classes we do, I score high average and/or average. The few instances that I do not score between those two is if I get a score higher, or if I daydream during the test.
Sincerely,
A fretting thirteen year-old. :-\

successismygoal

• Adventurer
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2019, 05:20:47 pm »
Hey everybody,
I made an account on ATAR Notes today to ask this question:
Have you guys got any good tips on how to complete the mathematical (mathematics, numerical reasoning) tests in time or to improve the time it takes to do questions?
I find myself struggling with the time aspect for those two but am not worried about the rest as I attend James An (did my last test this sat) and always get the highest category. On the James An mock test, also got superiors for the English stuff. I'm atrocious at the math under pressure and on the mock test got low averages as I had woken up late and was completely stressed out. Usually, in the normal classes we do, I score high average and/or average. The few instances that I do not score between those two is if I get a score higher, or if I daydream during the test.
Sincerely,
A fretting thirteen year-old. :-\

Hey, this might not help very much, but still, literally chill, as stressing out will only impact your score, and with the maths (you know those questions with the really long description), I like to 100% skip those unless I know EXACTLY what to do. I used to have a go at everything and then didn't have time for the questions that I actually could do, which impacted my result severely. Skipping these questions has made me improve and I have come back to them and solved them... eventually.
Hope this helps!
VCE