Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:35:09 am

Author Topic: UMEP Biology?  (Read 4135 times)  Share 

mollyf21

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
UMEP Biology?
« on: April 30, 2018, 06:27:16 pm »
+1
Hi guys,
This year I am in year 11, and next year, I will only have 4 subjects left (Health, chemistry, methods and english) from what I have been doing this year (2 Unit 3&4's - Biology and Further Maths), and so I was considering completing UMEP Biology. I have a choice between doing this, picking up another 3/4 subject without doing the 1/2 sequence (which I am not sure which I would do, and also the diffuculty and extra time commitment required), or possibly having extra study periods each week (if I get an average study score of above 35 for my 3/4's).

I was just wondering whether anybody has actually done UMEP Biology or is currently doing it, or know what the workload and commitment is like? I will probably try to do it at a local school that offers the subject, but do you have to regularly go to the Melbourne Uni parkville campus as well? Also, is anybody able to explain the timetable for this to me at all, as I have no clue how to read it propery.

Thank you so much!!!  :)

reiinicole

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: no
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: UMEP Biology?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 12:40:00 pm »
+5
Hey mollyf21,

I completed UMEP Biology last year, along with 4 subjects (basically the same situation as you are in). I studied as an on-campus student, and I have no regrets as I think getting the undergrad experience is very much worth it and has helped me in transitioning into uni.

The commitment for Biology is more than many of the other UMEP subjects due to it being science and hence having pracs. We had a 2 hour prac every fortnight, and the weeks we didn't we had a 2-hour workshop instead. There were also 2 x 1-hour lectures per week (might be 3 lectures now..), and a 1-hour tutorial each week. So all in all, 5 contact hours per week. You've got to go to the Parkville campus every fortnight for prac.

University goes at a much faster pace than school, we basically went through the whole of Unit 3 AoS 1 in 5 hours (5 lectures). It's so important not to fall behind because it's hard to catch up especially as you've got to study for your other VCE subjects as well. I mean I guess you could cram towards the end of semester, but that means you must have watched the lectures during semester.

I think to do UMEP Biology during VCE, you've got to have a real passion for the subject. A few of my friends dropped out during the semester, and a couple of them who stayed through the whole thing failed a subject. You need to keep yourself motivated because there's no one else who will check up on you to see how you're going.

This is what I've got from the UMEP Biology page (https://futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/info/school-students/extension-program/subject-areas) about School Centres
School Centre Program for 2018 - Williamstown and Eltham High
- One 90 minute to 3-hour session at a School Centre every second week (this session serves to reinforce the material covered in the lectures, complete workshop activities and provide individualised support to students).
- Three 1-hour lectures per week during semester. Lectures will be recorded and made available online for those students who are unable to attend due to other commitments.
- One 2-hour practical class every second week during semester at the University of Melbourne Parkville campus.
- Practical class sessions will run from 9:00am – 11:00am or 1:00pm – 3:00pm every day of the week during semester and Extension Program students will be assisted in enrolling into their preferred session.

On Campus Program for 2018
Students studying Extension Program Biology as part of the On Campus Program participate as part of the first-year undergraduate Biology cohort at the University of Melbourne Parkville campus.
- Three 1-hour lectures per week. Lectures will be recorded and made available online for those students who are unable to attend due to other commitments.
- One 1-hour tutorial per week and one 2-hour practical class every second week during semester

How much did you enjoy Biology last year? UMEP goes into some of it with a lot more detail, and then we learn heaps more about evolution and also about body systems. It also depends on what other VCE subjects you are considering I guess. Personally I really enjoyed it, it was really cool to get more in depth with Biology as I find it all so fascinating. Oh, plus point is if you're thinking of doing Science in UoM as you get credit points so you can take up fewer subjects in first year or do another subject!

Don't worry, you've still got a couple more months to decide :)

Hope this helps, let me know if you've got any questions! :)

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 04:45:55 pm »
+1
Hey, just found this thread and have a couple of extra questions about it...
What is there a great amount of commitment outside of class (e.g. study/homework wise?)
Also, is it more beneficial to do it on-campus or at one of the schools? I live near one of the school centre's, however if it is going to be a better experience to go into campus, then I would probably want to do that.
In comparison to VCE biology, how hard is it to get a good grade? Like how would a 90% in VCE biology be equivalent to for this?
Can doing this course help to get into the bachelor of science at melbourne uni?
Is it better to drop a VCE subject to pick this up instead (and do 3 3/4 subjects - I am doing 2 this year) or keep the 4th one too?
And how hard is it to get in, too?
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

Potato Son

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 07:08:02 pm »
+4
Hey galaxy21!

I'm new to ATARNotes so apologies if this is coming out wonky...

So I am currently doing UMEP Bio and still have a semester to go, so perhaps I can't answer all your questions, but I'll try answering from what I have done so far :)

is there a great amount of commitment outside of class (e.g. study/homework wise?)

I think it does require quite a bit of commitment, i.e. watching lectures, writing up notes, going to practicals, etc. However, it shouldn't be a massive burden, especially if you've already done 3/4 subjects in Year 11, the free periods really help.. But as reiinicole has said, the pace is quite fast-so be prepared for that  ;D

What I have found in Uni is that tutors and lecturers are not like high school teachers-they're not going to hassle you on homework or assignments that needs to be done; you either do it or you don't. In saying that, they don't really assign homeworks per se, but there is 'essential reading' that we are recommended to do every week.

Studying does get a bit hectic towards the exam, but I reckon everything gets hectic leading up to the exams anyway, so that's to be expected.

is it more beneficial to do it on-campus or at one of the schools?

Honestly, it depends-if you want to experience Uni life, get used to being on campus, meet other people doing their first-year Bachelor of Science-then doing it on-campus would be the best option!

However, if you want to meet other Year 12 students and/or live far away from Melbourne Uni, going to your local school centre would be better.
I'm doing it on-campus, so I can't really say which is more beneficial-though in my opinion doing it on-campus does set you up for Uni if you do end up going to Melbourne Uni.

In comparison to VCE biology, how hard is it to get a good grade? Like how would a 90% in VCE biology be equivalent to for this

Actually a good question-and tbh I did ask the same thing before...
I reckon it's not harder, but different to VCE Bio. There are topics that overlap, but sometimes it goes into more detail, or cover other aspects of the topic.
So it's a bit hard to find the equivalent score. From my experience though, I was averaging ~80% in VCE and got ~70% in Uni. But this score differs from people to people so don't take it as a general rule-who knows you might ace Uni!

Can doing this course help to get into the bachelor of science at melbourne uni?

You still need to satisfy the prerequisite subjects and the clearly-in ATAR to get into science, so it doesn't immediately guarantee you a place.
But, it does allow you to have one less subject to do when you get into Uni (or to be precise 2 less because subjects run in semesters in uni), which means you can have more free time then!

Plus it'll look good on your resume

Is it better to drop a VCE subject to pick this up instead (and do 3 3/4 subjects - I am doing 2 this year) or keep the 4th one too?

Depends on what that 4th subject is and how passionate you feel about it! Keep in mind that to do UMEP Bio you need to be doing VCE 3/4 in Year 12 or have completed 3/4 in Year 11. In saying that, though, if you do only 3 subjects in Year 12, you'll get heaps of spare time which will definitely help in managing time between Uni and VCE.

I actually don't know-there's no stats on how many applied and how many got in, so I have no idea.... If you've been getting good grades and got all the documents needed, you should be fine!

I hope that helps!!  :) :) :)
2017: Chemistry, Indonesian SL
2018: English, Biology, Methods, German, UMEP Biology
:) :) :)

ATARific

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 10:33:36 pm »
Hi guys,
This year I am in year 11, and next year, I will only have 4 subjects left (Health, chemistry, methods and english) from what I have been doing this year (2 Unit 3&4's - Biology and Further Maths), and so I was considering completing UMEP Biology. I have a choice between doing this, picking up another 3/4 subject without doing the 1/2 sequence (which I am not sure which I would do, and also the diffuculty and extra time commitment required), or possibly having extra study periods each week (if I get an average study score of above 35 for my 3/4's).

I was just wondering whether anybody has actually done UMEP Biology or is currently doing it, or know what the workload and commitment is like? I will probably try to do it at a local school that offers the subject, but do you have to regularly go to the Melbourne Uni parkville campus as well? Also, is anybody able to explain the timetable for this to me at all, as I have no clue how to read it propery.

Thank you so much!!!  :)

Hey, I'm doing it this year but I am also in year 11 and I find even juggling only 1/2s and a 3/4 is quite a lot (+ extracurricular stuff outside of school). My timetable doesn't match up so I have to watch all the lectures online. This year it wasn't offered at a school centre because no one applied/ not enough people applied so it didn't run so I have to attend at parkville and it is a pain in the ass to get there, especially for practicals...just keep in mind that it will be pretty time consuming   :)

ATARific

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 10:38:35 pm »

As long as you meet all the entry requirements you'll be offered a place, pretty easy. (must have done or will be completing 3/4 bio, A average in 1/2 bio and B+ average for your other subjects)

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 06:41:33 am »
A average in 1/2 bio and B+ average for your other subjects)
Our school doesn't use A, B, etc. as grades so I'm not exactly sure what I am getting in relation to letter grades. As a percentage, however, I am averaging 87% for semester 1 of 3/4, however I averaged around mid-high 80's for 1/2. Is it the 3/4 or 1/2 results that they look at? And would that be enough?
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 10:04:20 am »
Our school doesn't use A, B, etc. as grades so I'm not exactly sure what I am getting in relation to letter grades. As a percentage, however, I am averaging 87% for semester 1 of 3/4, however I averaged around mid-high 80's for 1/2. Is it the 3/4 or 1/2 results that they look at? And would that be enough?
It doesn't matter too much they aren't that strict when in comes to grades. So i wouldnt be too worried about not getting in. People have got in with study scores in the 30s and grades below B+.

ATARific

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 01:19:59 pm »

As part of the application you supply your school's grading scale so that they can compare your marks to their own scale. They look at whichever bio you've done most recently. Looks like you should be fine  :)