Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:00:09 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596219 times)  Share 

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2010, 02:46:50 pm »
from what i know of this year, by executive government they meen who makes up the governement at each level, so at federal it would be the prime minister and senior ministers and at the state level it is the premier and senior ministers.  the members of the executive make government policy and, thorugh individual ministers, control government departments :)
hope this helps

Isn't that just the government? LOL. So the only difference would be that at the federal level you have the PM, whereas at the state level you have the premier?.. because "ministers of state" are at both levels.

Cappuccinos

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2010, 02:47:52 pm »
I've actually got a question this time.

I'm a bit confused as to what an "executive government" is and what it does?.. my textbook doesn't explain it clearly. I know it has something to do with the "Separation of Powers" - but that's all I know.

If anyone could help, that would be great and I'll give you +karma! =D

Well according this site: http://australianpolitics.com/democracy/terms/executive-government.shtml

"The Executive Government is the arm of government theoretically responsible for the implementation of the laws passed by the Parliament. "

I can't find any mention of it in Legal Notes, but in that oxford book, Justice and Outcomes it says

"The principle of the separation of powers is established in the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1900 (UK).
• Chapter one establishes the Commonwealth Parliament to make laws according to the powers set out in the Constitution. This chapter also refers to the powers of the governor-general and the structure of parliament.
• Chapter two sets out the powers of the executive government and the role of ministers.
• Chapter three establishes the High Court to exercise the judicial power. The independence of the judiciary is referred to in S71 of the Constitution."

So yeah I'm going to assume it's the part of government who is responsible for excuting executive power...? Is that the same as executive council? :S

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2010, 02:52:03 pm »
LOLwut.

I'm totally lost.

I just assumed "Executive Government" meant the "Executive Council". It's probably just bad wording in my textbook.

The Executive Government is the arm of government theoretically responsible for the implementation of the laws passed by the Parliament.

I think that means it's Executive Council. =\

adelaide.emily10

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2010, 02:57:11 pm »
Isn't that just the government? LOL. So the only difference would be that at the federal level you have the PM, whereas at the state level you have the premier?.. because "ministers of state" are at both levels.

well in relation to the inital question, it was about the difference between federal and state, therefore the question was probably about the composition of the executive, that's something i had to do at the start of this year as my holiday hw, so if your doing the same activity as i did then that's what the question is asking. using a legal dictionary helps -> a lot of words that can be used interchangebly are explained in the legal dictionary

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2010, 03:04:13 pm »
well in relation to the inital question, it was about the difference between federal and state, therefore the question was probably about the composition of the executive, that's something i had to do at the start of this year as my holiday hw, so if your doing the same activity as i did then that's what the question is asking.

Thanks. I'll presume I'm right.

using a legal dictionary helps -> a lot of words that can be used interchangebly are explained in the legal dictionary

I don't have a legal dictionary - wasn't on my school's book-list. I might get one now that you mention it. How much are they (generally speaking)?

adelaide.emily10

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2010, 03:08:21 pm »
I don't have a legal dictionary - wasn't on my school's book-list. I might get one now that you mention it. How much are they (generally speaking)?
well i'm currently selling one for around $25 (the one that i used to explain th executive idea), i bought mine for $40 from the school because when i did legal 1&2 in 2009, it was compulsary to have one. however, there are a variety of publishers selling them and prices really do vary.

ech_93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2010, 03:13:44 pm »
Well, that's embarrassing, sorry!
I don't even remember hearing about executive government, oh well...
ATAR aim: 90+
2012- ???

Cappuccinos

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2010, 03:18:41 pm »
LOLwut.

I'm totally lost.

I just assumed "Executive Government" meant the "Executive Council". It's probably just bad wording in my textbook.

The Executive Government is the arm of government theoretically responsible for the implementation of the laws passed by the Parliament.

I think that means it's Executive Council. =\

Sorry I think I just made everything confusing :S
But your probably right, so scrap everything I said. Hahhah ><

ech_93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2010, 03:22:19 pm »
Hah, same for me! Just forget what i said :/
Sorry, don't really remember the start of the year
I can help with other stuff though ! haha, sorry
2012- ???

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2010, 03:28:23 pm »
Hah, same for me! Just forget what i said :/
Sorry, don't really remember the start of the year
I can help with other stuff though ! haha, sorry

Right... so what's the answer? LOL. I think it's just that the Commonwealth Executive Council has a governor-general, while the Victorian Executive Council has a governor.

Cheers for the help guys! I'd +karma all you guys, but it says I can't karma again within 12 hours. =D

ech_93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:51 pm »
Right... so what's the answer? LOL. I think it's just that the Commonwealth Executive Council has a governor-general, while the Victorian Executive Council has a governor.

Cheers for the help guys! I'd +karma all you guys, but it says I can't karma again within 12 hours. =D
Yeah, that's what i'd say... Just the governor-general and governor difference :/
adelaide.emily10 said prime minister and premier though, so i am confused :/
2012- ???

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2010, 03:42:25 pm »
Yeah, that's what i'd say... Just the governor-general and governor difference :/
adelaide.emily10 said prime minister and premier though, so i am confused :/

Who knows? :P

I typed in Google... "What's Executive government" - It doesn't make it any clearer; I'd tend to stick with the meaning that "Executive government" means Executive Council as opposed to the government. =\

I could be totally wrong or right.

ezst

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2010, 09:28:38 pm »
You'd tend to think "executive government" relates to "executive power" which is the power given to the government to administer laws and to manage business of government. I don't think it was in relation to the executive council.
2009: VET Automotive 3+4

2010: English, Further, Psych, Health + Legal

2011: Criminal Justice and Admin (RMIT)

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2010, 09:32:12 pm »
Back to my question then, what are the main differences between the Commonwealth and Victorian Parliament in terms of "Executive government"?

Wouldn't that just be what adelaide.emily10 said; the premier and prime minister..? LOL.

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2010, 10:39:34 pm »
Hey, you guys.
How much work have you all done with legal??
I, myself, have not started the course yet, but I thought, that i'd read the study design carefully, each for each dot point under key knowledge, i'd put my notes down for it.
Then i'd read key skills really carefully and understand what is expected.
After all that, i plan to do a bunch of questions from the textbook and then try to find popular case examples which i think may help me in the future.
What about you guys?
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me