Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:15:20 am

Author Topic: I study hard but end up getting poor marks  (Read 939 times)

BadKarma_17

• Adventurer
  • Struggling through VCE ;(
  • Respect: 0
I study hard but end up getting poor marks
« on: November 14, 2020, 10:49:46 am »
+3
Hello everyone  ;D,

I feel that during my VCE time, I work so hard for all my subjects and put in all my effort, but I end up performing really poorly on my exams. I don't get it. I do the work in class, I take notes, do past papers and just overall put in all my effort. But then there are the students who study two days before an exam and get a high mark. Why is this the case? I don't know how to study smart! :( Any suggestions?

Skittles99

• Adventurer
  • Love to help out where I can.
  • Respect: +8
Re: I study hard but end up getting poor marks
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 03:56:23 pm »
+6
Hey there zarmeena_17!

It sounds like you are doing everything right! However, everyone's brain learns and retains information differently.

To get more of a grasp of your situation here, may I ask what subjects are you doing and what kind of feedback are you getting? (Feel free to privately message me if you aren't comfortable sharing here!)
Example ~ If you do Business Management, you might get feedback that tells you that you aren't making clear link between the case study and content.

I'm not sure how you go about studying, but I recommend using active recall and spaced repetition.
I HIGHLY recommend visiting Ali Abdaal's YouTube channel and watching some of his videos that explain how to study this way. This is a really good one to get started on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXnxlLR0PY&ab_channel=AliAbdaal
(Yes I am a major fangirl, but his videos have helped me so much)

I hope this has helped out a bit! :)
Best of luck with everything.
2019-2023: Monash University

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 04:34:13 pm »
+1
Hello everyone  ;D,

I feel that during my VCE time, I work so hard for all my subjects and put in all my effort, but I end up performing really poorly on my exams. I don't get it. I do the work in class, I take notes, do past papers and just overall put in all my effort. But then there are the students who study two days before an exam and get a high mark. Why is this the case? I don't know how to study smart! :( Any suggestions?
Have you tried varying the way you take notes? E.g. if you always take notes on the computer, try handwriting, or vice versa - or mind maps, perhaps, and increased use of colour. Do whatever you need to, it doesn't matter what it looks like. Personally I put Squirrel Nutkin on some of mine, and it really helped! Also, when you do past papers, do you then go over them to see where you were losing marks, or get a teacher or someone to? And thus use this to study more effectively by focusing on your weaker areas?
And maybe it's just that your brain needs a break? Or adequate hydration? Or adequate nutrition? etc.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 04:40:39 pm »
Hello everyone  ;D,

One advice: study smart not hard.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 05:04:26 pm »
One advice: study smart not hard.
I believe the question was how to study smart. Your advice may, thus, be misplaced. Perhaps you could give an indication of what you mean, and strategies to accomplish it, to the original poster. :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 05:13:59 pm »
+2
I believe the question was how to study smart. Your advice may, thus, be misplaced. Perhaps you could give an indication of what you mean, and strategies to accomplish it, to the original poster. :)
Sorry my bad, I think it is important to find what works out well for you. Maybe instead of studying without any goal, instead try to find out the key areas of weakness and improve on that. Take this from someone who use to study mindlessly and surprisingly never improved.