Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 06:11:02 am

Author Topic: Developing a positive attitude towards studying  (Read 859 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Developing a positive attitude towards studying
« on: July 05, 2019, 11:48:39 pm »
How do you do it? I mean, it was easy in primary school and early high school since the majority of what you were being taught was actually interesting, but now? Not so much. Three of my subjects in particular frustrate me (but one simply enrages me when I get stuck on a difficult extended-response question, because I feel like I'm going nowhere).

In other words, how do I overcome all the negativity brought about by school?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 01:07:46 am by JR_StudyEd »
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Developing a positive attitude towards studying
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 08:13:10 am »
+8
Study in a way that you enjoy. You could watch videos and take notes, make cue cards and quiz a friend, try to teach the content to someone else, do practice questions or record yourself talking about the key points on the study design. By changing up how you study, using different methods in different places and with different people, you can help yourself not become bored with it.

Or try using something you are passionate about. If it's music, write songs about the content, if it's running, listen to your notes while you run. If it's art, paint and label your diagrams. Maybe you could write a story or create acronyms for key words and phrases.

And, take lots of breaks! Studying for hours at a time every night will decrease your productivity and leave you super bored. If you plan your time well you can just do a chunk each night, without feeling bored and lethargic.

brothanathan

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 03:26:24 pm »
+4
Hi everyone, I'm currently at the Melb City Centre. First time here and just had a free Bio 1/2 lesson, shout out to Ronny for doing his best with the cold going around.

To add to Laura's tips, try going to bed earlier and wake up at around 5 to start studying. If you're not a morning person I recommend getting 8+ hours a night, because if you're sleep deprived you might even waffle the work you just completed, wasting more time and energy (3 hours of sleep gained equals 6 hours of efficient work gained).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 11:14:26 pm by brothanathan »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 03:52:56 pm »
To add to Laura's tips, try going to bed earlier and wake up at around 5 to start studying.

I love this advice! I try to wake up early (around 5:30 to do some study) before heading to school when the library opens and doing another hour there before school. I used this strategy in term one and did not need to do any homework in the evenings (only occasional study). I also did not study on Saturdays due to my work shifts but I still found that with this method I could keep on top of everything.

brothanathan

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 09:41:24 pm »
+1
I love this advice! I try to wake up early (around 5:30 to do some study) before heading to school when the library opens and doing another hour there before school. I used this strategy in term one and did not need to do any homework in the evenings (only occasional study). I also did not study on Saturdays due to my work shifts but I still found that with this method I could keep on top of everything.

4:20 worked for me once but I got pretty fatigued at 9:20 PM. No excuses I need this in my arsenal for the sake of possible assignments.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:20:13 pm by brothanathan »