Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:47:29 pm

Author Topic: I.T. Applications or Software Development?  (Read 4807 times)  Share 

IvanJames

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
I.T. Applications or Software Development?
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:38:30 pm »
So at the moment I'm in year 11 and am deciding which subjects to do in year 12 next year.
I'm currently set on doing English, Further Maths, Biology and Legal Studies as well as either Applications or Software Development.

Just wondering which would be more interesting or if any of the two are simply downright jokes.
Also, would not doing maths methods be a problem if I was to do SD?
Is it all a matter of opinion?

IvanJames

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: I.T. Applications or Software Development?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:41:16 pm »
Basically, I'm stuck between the two and am wondering which of the two I should choose and why?

Thanks!

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 12:19:20 am »
+1
Well you already know my opinion from talking on IRC, which is heavily biased in favour of ITSD, but for your other questions:

With regards to them being jokes, they both could be better subjects sure, but I'd probably also say things like VCE Maths, VCE Physics etc. could also be a lot better designed. Not doing maths methods isn't a problem, there's been plenty of users on the forums that have taken either subject without doing methods.

Subject selection is a matter of opinion yeah, it really comes to what you think you'll find more interesting. If you don't find the subject interesting, then there's no point in spending a year doing that subject. There's probably simple matters about subject content, such as if you don't like programming, then don't do ITSD because it's filled with that kind of stuff. If you don't like databases or spreadsheets, don't do IT Applications because it's filled with that kind of stuff.

Which of those you find more interesting is probably the subject you should do. I would argue that knowing how to program is the more rewarding experience,  and there's just general stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIu9yen5nc which you've probably already seen. Although ITSD is really just an introduction to programming subject, but it teaches you enough tools to be able to do some really cool stuff (and then move on to more interesting programming concepts if you wish to learn about that).

Both subjects covers theory that is arguably boring, which I'd say would be some of the non-technical stuff like copyright and privacy laws, stuff about organisations setting codes of ethics, the "problem solving methodology" - having to pay particular attention to how you plan and test what it is your making appear in both subjects. IT Applications has more of this kind of stuff, stuff like "the role of information in an organisation" in U4O1 or "why an organisation would use a database" etc.

But they also have stuff that's a bit more interesting, which in my opinion is the more technical knowledge you learn about e.g. in IT Applications you learn about (in not as much depth as ITSD) networking hardware in U3O1, the database theory in U3O2 (the practical database skills aren't so interesting, especially since it's really just using a piece of software like Microsoft Access or Filemaker). In IT Software Development some of U3O1 (network protocols - OSI Model, TCP/IP stack etc.), U3O2 and U4O1 (the two programming focused area of studies), and also more about networking hardware that you learn about in U4O2. Even stuff like data validation is more interesting in IT Software Development rather than IT Applications, because you actually have to think about how how to code it, rather than just selecting the correct option in Microsoft Access.

For me anyway, that more technical stuff is really why I find IT interesting. Stuff like the role of IT in business I can see why it's important to think about that, but not exactly the kind of thing that gets me motivated to study. I've said a lot more than I was intending to, but I think all of the above pretty much sums up my argument, so I'll leave it at that.

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 01:33:16 am »
Software Development is far more interesting. IT:Apps is too focused on how information technology supports businesses. So expect to see lots of dry theory.

Will you need methods? Absolutely not. Unfortunately neither course has any mathematical component.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein