Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:39:42 am

Poll

The long debated question. Which is better?

The University of Melbourne
32 (43.8%)
Monash University
26 (35.6%)
Undecided
15 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Melbourne V Monash  (Read 9801 times)  Share 

costargh

Re: Melbourne V Monash
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 06:10:22 pm »
I think especially for international or interstate students, "Melbourne University (or the UoM)" sounds more prestigious than "Monash University" purely because of the name.

Hahaha. That's why some of my relatives back in China believe Victoria Uni is the ultimate top of the notch uni here, cos omggggg it has the state in its name!
(I'm serious)

EDIT: no offence to VU students / prospective students

Lol that actually makes sense. Maybe its just in my mind lol

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 10:42:07 pm »
Does anyone here believe that Melbourne University will always be the preferred choice for people with ENTER's over 99.00 or around that, purely because it contains the capital of Victoria in its name? LOL

Not anymore. The Melbourne Model hasn't seemed to cause a drop in preferences overall, but I think students will now think more carefully about the uni they put as first preference now that there is more choice (or - depending on how you think- less choice if you consider the abolishment of all those double degree programs) for courses, rather than just going to Melbourne for the name automatically. I'm sure it will remain a really popular/prestigious institution though.

And if anything, Melbourne will be the top choice because the grounds are pretty :P

Ninox

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • vive le science!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 11:06:38 pm »
I second the grounds argument! Another thing, I reckon food from the little shops at monash is more expensive than at melbourne.

Me, I hope to go to monash mainly because it's close and is an excellent uni, regardless of UoM's prestige. Had my eyes set on monash since yr 10, and I'm not budging  :)
2006: Engineering Studies 45 (Premier's Award), Religion and Societies 39
2007: Methods 45, Spesh 46, Chem 50, Physics 41, Literature 39, MUEP Maths 5.5
ENTER: 99.60
Science/Engineering @ Monash; Mat'ls Eng; Chem, Physiology?

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2007, 01:07:25 pm »
Melbourne's closer 4 me, that's why I'd rather go there.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

maxleng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 12:17:19 am »
it all comes down to what your going to be studying and where you live

for me im doing engineering and monash has been voted top of the state for engineering and ive heard that melbourne's engineering degrees are alot more theory based (eww). Also monash is like a 10 minute drive... thats why monash is more appealing to me.

but if i was living in the city and wanting to study arts i would choose UoM

costargh

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 10:52:09 am »
I've heard Monash has a "better crowd" of people. Is that just a whole bunch of crap or what? *Looks at Coblin*

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 10:55:09 am »
I've heard Monash has a "better crowd" of people. Is that just a whole bunch of crap or what? *Looks at Coblin*

Yeah. That sort of claim really cannot be substantiated. Hardly anyone has been to both universities. They may have dropped by at Melbourne once, to use their libraries or something (because ours are better LOL), but obviously you will feel that everyone is more hostile if you are in an environment of strangers. You would feel the same if you went to Melbourne but dropped by at Monash.

I suspect it comes from the flawed idea that "higher achievers end up at Melbourne, therefore they're socially inept". That is completely wrong. You should look at Medicine students, they party fucking hard :D

costargh

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 11:02:44 am »
Lol yep thats the flawed idea that a lot of people have. I think I however would be able to party harder wherever I went  :D

maxleng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 03:40:21 pm »

whats "better" do you mean hotter? cos UoM wins in that

costargh

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 06:03:06 pm »
"Monash girls put out"

::)