Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:19:48 am

Author Topic: Economics vs Legal studies  (Read 3522 times)

iffy18384567

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Economics vs Legal studies
« on: May 07, 2019, 06:28:37 pm »
Hello
Next term I have the choice of doing either legal or economics because i'm gonna change physics. Which one should I join? How are the classes for each? How easy/hard is the content/exam?
Thanks

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
Re: Economics vs Legal studies
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 09:30:10 pm »
Hello
Next term I have the choice of doing either legal or economics because i'm gonna change physics. Which one should I join? How are the classes for each? How easy/hard is the content/exam?
Thanks

Although I'm largely biased because I do love legal studies and think that it's truly the best subject in the hsc — choose the subject that interests you the most and what may help you in the future (if you know what you want to do). Both apply in the real world and are quite content heavy subjects, but if you like the subject that is going to motivate you to do well in the course. Talk to your friends, teachers and look at the syllabi for each subject to get a better sense of what will be covered in each subject. I am not doing economics for my hsc, so I'll be talking more about legal studies instead.

In my opinion, legal is pretty straight forward in terms of content — you learn the basics of the legal system in year 11 eg. the rule of law, separation of powers and so forth but although it's a little dry in year 11, it gets so much better in year 12 where you learn about how the law applies in certain situations eg. crime, human rights and whatever options your school chooses. What really helped me in legal studies was to have fun (kind of ironic i guess), whether that is participating in class discussions or reading the news or even making pretty flashcards/notes to memorise key lcmido (legislation, cases, media, i(??), documents) according to what was assessed.

edit: just realised this was a vce board, so i'm not sure if the content structure of legal studies is the same in vce compared to the hsc.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:52:01 pm by avocadinq »
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

sowhat

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
Re: Economics vs Legal studies
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:34:38 am »
Hello
Thanks

Hey!  :)

As someone who is doing both subjects this unit, I hope I can help!
I find Legal to be a lot more information and memory orintanted and while economics also is a lot of information, I for some reason find it easier to remember. Legal probably has a lot more terms to remember, while economics is more concept based.

I for one, way rather economics because of the way it links to so much of the real world and its events, including who is in government, consumer confidence, political unease ect. I find legal to be a bit boring in content, but it also does have a wide reach in the world spectrum, in laws made by government and court decisions. So far, it is a great subject in teaching rights, defences to crimes and the ways different crimes are treated in the court system.
Economics is more about supply and demand; Why people will buy one thing and not another, what influences the market ect.

That is all a bit of a muddle and as you can probably see, I am highly biased towards economics, but in the end it is your choice.

Just a question that might help influence which subject I would recommend; What made you drop physics?