Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:31:30 pm

Author Topic: Building a resilient headspace!  (Read 21651 times)

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Re: Building a resilient headspace!
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2019, 08:40:40 am »
+3
(cont.)
Oh yeah. I do have goals, but they're so overwhelming and I become even more disheartened when I try to break them apart into more manageable chunks (as literally every online article says).

Goal #1: To be as prepared for all my VCE exams as possible
Goal #2: To be healthy (healthy diet, sleep, exercise)

With #1, even writing down the list of things this would involve just discouraged me, as I have five distinct subjects. #2 requires quite a lot of resilience and dedication, which I don't think I have in me.

I guess there's a fine line between challenging and demoralising. Yes, I love it when life challenges me to improve, but I think right now, the scales are tipping towards the demoralising.

I can do it. So what though? I can improve. So what?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2019, 07:47:40 pm »
+3
10/7/19 - Please help me to develop and maintain a growth mindset for the rest of my life, okay?

Maths is painful. I can't even start. I know, I know. Short-term pain for long-term gain. All the pain, tears and suffering will be worth it in the end. This next 4 months of agonising, excruciating work is just a drop in the ocean of life. You wanna know just how much Maths is ruining my life right now? Well, it's almost always at the top of my priority list (due to its frustrating and infuriating difficulty), so I can't really avoid it. It also turns out that I technically failed the first Methods SAC. So I get given a document of questions to complete over the holidays to get an S for the unit. But screw that. It's as abstract as the original SAC. When I look at my daily school timetable and see 'Maths Methods' on it, I just let out a massive groan. And I have it on the first day back too! Let the good times flow.

And because of Methods, I can't really be stuffed studying for any other subject either, although they're slightly less painful than maths. In other news, I have an English Oral SAC on the first week back. But I procrastinate as heavily on this as I do with Methods, for some reason. Don't even know what I'm doing for Bio and Chem. Health is pretty much the only subject I can tolerate at the moment. And I can't even get to that thanks to a little subject called Maths Methods. It seriously drains me.

My sleep/wake routine has been meh. Most of my days are low energy, spent jamming out to great tunes on my study desk as the compulsory Methods homework stares me right in the face. I throw it away like a pile of trash. (Not really, just a simile :)))

I loathe the holidays. At least when both my parents are working and I have no reason to leave the house. It's basically like the school term, except you're stuck at home with bucketloads of work to complete. And you have absolutely no direct communication with your teachers. How ironic that the holidays have become like this.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2019, 08:35:32 pm »
+3
Have you had a chance to have a break and recharge over the holidays JR? It sounds like you could use it. I know how you feel about the holidays, I don't know what it is, but especially after the stress of exams, holidays seem to make me feel even more drained than I was before. I have found that keeping busy and a consistent routine has helped. Most days I have had planned activities and if not I've made sure to leave the house, even if just to sit and study in the library.

TL;DR: I keep myself so busy I don't have the time to get in a melancholy mood.

Best of luck recuperating over the rest of your break! Sending good vibes your way. ;D

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2019, 04:27:37 pm »
+4
15/7/19 - Oh no, not the T word.

Yes, the T word indeed. I was kind of dreading the day when I would have to use the 'break glass in case of emergency' option. The T word has been bothering me ever since Year 12 started to become brutal. The T word industry is lucrative for those who administer it, and comparatively expensive for those who seek it. I don't know how regulated and trustworthy it really is. But it's really my last option for Methods, since all other free resources are either unhelpful or don't really encourage me to do the work I need to do. This T word I speak of, it is called...TUTORING.

AN is great, but real life interaction is what it unfortunately lacks. I kind of hate to say this, but I really don't learn much in Maths class at school. I pay as much attention as I possibly can, but the content still doesn't seem to be going in. I am so freakin' overwhelmed. The lack of quality teaching in Mathematics I have received over all my years of education has accumulated to the point where Maths has just become the bane of my existence. I don't improve, no matter how hard I try.

And due to all the attention I've given to this subject, I've almost completely forgotten about the existence of my other subjects.  :-\ :'(

At least there's always music and good food to get you through it all. 4 more months of this ****.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2019, 04:32:02 pm »
+3
15/7/19 - Oh no, not the T word.

Yes, the T word indeed. I was kind of dreading the day when I would have to use the 'break glass in case of emergency' option. The T word has been bothering me ever since Year 12 started to become brutal. The T word industry is lucrative for those who administer it, and comparatively expensive for those who seek it. I don't know how regulated and trustworthy it really is. But it's really my last option for Methods, since all other free resources are either unhelpful or don't really encourage me to do the work I need to do. This T word I speak of, it is called...TUTORING.

Hey JR,
Hope you find some tutoring that helps you smash the last stretch of VCE. Tutoring doesn't have to be seen as the 'break glass in case of emergency' option, but I understand why you might feel that way. There are still many free and low-cost options for tutoring (check out your local library).

Best of luck pushing through methods and conquering your maths anxiety. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2019, 06:33:49 pm »
+5
11/8/19 - What a difference 3 months makes

3 months ago, I was all like, Medicine? Nah too stressful. My interest in psychology remained. I don't necessarily want to become a psychologist, but I just have an interest in the brain and behaviour and the power of attitude and mindset, and the details of mental health. It's also VTAC's time to shine but I'm trying to keep a cool headspace in that regard. I never thought I'd be seriously considering unis like Swinburne and ACU (especially given how little attention they're given compared to the RMIT's and the Monash's of the world), but after visiting them, I'm convinced that I would be happy going to one or the other.  :) And I've still got Victoria University's open day next week (don't judge me, I know I'm missing out on Melbuni, but I have my reasons), so we'll see how that goes.

justifying why I'm not much of a fan of the other unis, and therefore why I don't want to study there
MelbUni: #1 for psych in Australia, huh? I wasn't a fan of the sheer size of your campus. I know it's old and stuff, but I don't find such architecture all that inspirational or charming. Sorry.
RMIT: Automatic disapproval for any uni in the CBD. I know you're smack bang in the middle of everything, but it's not my style. I spoke to someone who was studying Psych there, and they legit lowkey sounded like they wanted to drop out.
Monash, LaTrobe and Deakin: Too far from my place of residence. Am not willing to travel that far. I am sorry.

But hey, I can always change and transfer. Many students forget that is a thing that exists.  ;)

And ACU technically isn't in the CBD. It's in Fitzroy. And the campus is smaller. I like that.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2019, 11:44:11 am »
+7
25/8/19 - Dear AN, I regret to inform you...

On Friday 23rd, I probably experienced one of my worst days of the year so far. I got my marks and paper back for the last Methods SAC. About an hour later, after school was out for the day and the week, I received my Chemistry SAC results. Would you like to know what these two SACs had in common?

Spoiler
I failed both of them. And looking at both results made me feel miserable. Worst Friday ever.

So after letting out my initial outbursts, I decided to take a walk outside. Felt a little better. I have done no academic-related work since. After a rigorous search of the AN forums to see what I could do to cope with constant failure, I found that an effective course of action was to closely evaluate where I went wrong on both subjects. So I did that.

Methods evaluation
So I missed a fair chunk of the Integration topic due to illness (half to be exact). I could not manage to catch up in time for the SAC.

Chemistry evaluation
It might have been because I was not proactive enough in asking for help when I fell behind in the learning of the content.

I will not allow these failures to stop me from achieving my absolute best. I will not allow these failures to stop me from studying my desired course at uni next year. Failure strengthens me.

Ah well, there's always exams to look forward to. And a supportive community right here.

Macrophagee

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2019, 08:54:07 pm »
Have you considered moving out of home? That could also be an option if you really want to study at Monash, LaTrobe or Deakin.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2019, 06:17:20 pm »
+1
16/9/19

I am basically free. One Biology SAC left. And that's all she wrote. All I have to do is sit those exams. What's 'preparation'? What's 'revision'? It's all self-motivated, independent study for the next 57 or so days. No one is telling me to study. No more SACs to study for. The truth is just sinking in. It's all up to me from here. I could do nothing in every class and literally no one would tell me off. This independence is genuinely terrifying.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2019, 06:37:23 pm »
+1
This independence is genuinely terrifying.
But also a little liberating too?

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2019, 10:57:57 am »
+2
21/9/19 - Happy holidays?

Hey everyone, how are you all going? Probably better than me. I haven't had the greatest week in terms of my study habits. And that's kind of a big problem, seeing how many days there are before exams. I have felt the pain of burning out several times throughout this year, and I have experienced it again this week (I still am right now). Since I haven't done this in a while, I will provide you with a brief overview of how I am travelling in each of my subjects.

Methods
Still can't be bothered. But I know I will have to start eventually. Just not right now. In case you couldn't tell, this is by far the subject that rains down the most sorrow upon me. Practicing will be the key.

Chemistry
The content is not interesting in the slightest. I'm sorry to all you Chemistry fans out there. I suppose I have to make friends with some Chemistry fans over the next few weeks. Chemistry will also be my last ever exam, so it will be pretty emotional in another way (or maybe not, we'll see on the day).

Biology
I am so lost. That is all.

English
So we completed a (compulsory) trial exam for this subject. I started with writing Section C. I wrote an introduction and half a body paragraph, then kind of gave up on it as my brain had pretty much exhausted all its ideas by that point. So I spent the remaining time either sitting there or trying to muster up something for Section A and B. Ended up writing literally nothing for those two sections. What made it worse was that people around me seemed to be writing their essays with ease. Way to make me feel even worse about myself. I know it's fruitless to compare myself with others, but what else can you do when you're in an exam hall, your mind has blanked out and you can't think of anything else to write? On the bright side, it's better that I'm blanking out during trials rather than the real exam. Unfortunately, improvement is going to take a lot of grinding and feedback. Wish me luck.

Health & HD
Out of all my subjects, this is the subject I despise the least (because it's probably the most interesting and least demanding). However, it pains me when I am forced to memorise content. I also went to the Health Teachers Network Exam Revision lectures. Although it costs some cash, it's definitely worth it! I would highly recommend any HHD student to take the opportunity.

Exam revision in general
Should I go to the ATARNotes lectures? I am tentative at this point. The last time I went to the AN lectures was back in April, and to be completely honest, they weren't the most helpful (sorry, it's just my opinion. :/). Like, at that point, I wanted to drop Methods soooo badly, and after going to the Methods lecture, I still wanted to drop out. But for a person like me, there's probably no other choice.

I know it sounds like I have no life, but there is still so much for me to do in four of my five subjects it's not even funny.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2019, 05:32:31 pm »
+1
This is how the first week of my "holiday" is looking:

Monday: Methods Trial exams (both of them)
Tuesday: Chemistry Trial exam
Wednesday: Biology Trial exam
Thursday: Completing 2016 VCAA Methods exam 1 in timed exam conditions

I am clearly not ready for these trials, nor do I feel mentally prepared to sit a VCAA Methods exam. But how else am I going to get anything done these "holidays"? (I love how we still call the next two weeks a "holiday" when they are so blatantly not).

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2019, 08:13:29 am »
Just think of the holiday you will have between when you finish your exams and when uni starts! Stay positive and keep on pushing through!!

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2019, 09:50:30 pm »
+1
26/9/19

I simply am not able to do anything related to the academic discipline of Maths. Specifically the topics which fall under the Mathematical Methods course.

I’m finding it extremely difficult to stay positive. I feel like giving up. Will these next 6 weeks even make very much of a difference to my future? There’s always a way to get where I want to go, after all is said and done. All I need is roughly a 60 ATAR and a raw 25 study score in English, and I’m in. But that still doesn’t provide me with sufficient incentive to get up and actually do some work.

I know that nothing worth having comes easily. Someone will probably read this and tell me to “start with the easiest task”. But none of my tasks at the moment are “easy”.

I went through a past VCAA Methods exam today (2016 Exam 1 to be specific). I did the 15 minutes reading time, then decided it was too painful and walked away.

The simple truth is, the curiosity that I used to possess towards my school subjects has completely evaporated. I am not overly stressed, I simply just do not want to immerse my brain in the uninteresting content of my subjects.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2019, 12:59:30 pm »
From what you've been saying, it sounds like you are going to need to make some drastic changes if you have any hope of motivating yourself to study. Perhaps an internet ban is in order? To force you to begin your methods revision?

What positive steps do you think you could take to improve your headspace at the minute?