Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:34:02 pm

Author Topic: VCE History Revolutions Question Thread  (Read 54775 times)  Share 

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: VCE History Revolutions Question Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2018, 03:35:22 pm »
Hello, with reference to the time constraints of the exam, just wondering if their is anyone who suffers the same "problem" of messy handwriting when writing pieces in the time limit?
My teacher has said examiners aren't a fans of quick, messy handwriting which can distract them from the quality of your ideas, but part of me fails to see how people can write with immaculate handwriting under such time constraints.
My writing was super messy because of how fast I wrote and I remember talking to my teacher about it because I was so worried - you won't get marked down for it. If the examiner can't read your writing, the exam just gets passed to another person who can read it.

Don't worry too much - exam markers have a lot of experience and are probably masters at reading handwriting.

Hala119

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2018, 06:22:42 pm »
Hello!

I've done a lot of practise exam questions and timed myself under conditions and such, but i'm unsure how to continue studying and revise for the exam. I don't want to overstudy so not to burn myself out but i'm not sure what to do now.

Does anyone have any tips?

Elsa//768

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2018, 03:18:22 pm »
Hey Hey :)
Quick question, when talking about the role of nationalism during the Russian Revolution, should we talk about it in the same way as patriotism, or should we discuss the role of national minorities?
Thanks!
2018: Revolutions (46); Biology (47)
2019: EAL (46); Methods (47 ); Psychology (49 ); Legal Studies ( 39)
ATAR: 99.65
Possibly offering tutoring for 2020!
After all, tomorrow is another day.

TheIllusion

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2019, 12:13:18 am »
Hello AN,
I just encounted some trouble understanding the "Memoir of the Princes of the Blood".
I had trouble understanding this exerprt;

Such is the unhappy progress of this agitation that opinions which a short time ago might have seemed reprehensible, today appear to be reasonable and fair; and that which good people are indignant about today will in a short time perhaps pass as regular and legitimate. Who can say where the recklessness of opinions will stop? The rights of the throne have been called into question; the rights of the two orders of the State divide opinions; soon property rights will be attacked; the inequality of fortunes will be presented as an object for reform; the suppression of feudal rights has already been proposed, as the abolition of a system of oppression, the remains of barbarism . . . .

May the Third Estate therefore cease to attack the rights of the first two orders; rights which, no less ancient than the monarchy, must be as unchanging as its constitution; that it limit itself to seeking the reduction in taxes with which it might be burdened; the first two orders, recognising in the third citizens who are dear to them, will, by the generosity of their sentiments, be able to renounce those prerogatives which have a financial dimension, and consent to bear public charges in the most perfect equality.

From what I can infer from the source, the memoir reflected the rightist attitude of the aristocracy, defending the priveliges of the cleric and nobility, additionally enticing the Third Estate to supress their critisizm on the first two estates for the renounciation of priveliges recieved by the nobility for more "perfect equality".
Is my inference correct?
Is there anytthing else I could comment on?
Thanks.
2019: English 3/4, Further Mathematics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, Revolutions 3/4, Software Development 3/4

2020: ?

blubber

• Adventurer
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2019, 07:42:38 pm »
Hey fellow historians,
Does anyone know if we need to know Stalin's 'First Five Year Plan' for Russian Revolution AOS2???
Thanks in advance :P

Hala119

• Trailblazer
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2019, 08:48:09 pm »
+4

Hey fellow historians,
Does anyone know if we need to know Stalin's 'First Five Year Plan' for Russian Revolution AOS2???
Thanks in advance :P

Hi,

I highly doubt you need to know anything after Lenin died (1924), and even that isn't specifically important.  Stalin's five year plan was 1928.

If you look at the study design, you can see the points of discussion that you should base your exam revision around.

This is for the CONSEQUENCES of the revolution.
New Regime Challenges (in consolidating power)
•   The dissolution of the Constituent Assembly
•   Political opposition
•   The creation of the Sovnarkom
•   Land redistribution
•   The Treaty of Brest-Litovsk
•   State Capitalism
•   The Civil War
•   War Communism
•   The Red Terror
•   The Polish Soviet War
•   The 1921 Famine
•   The Kronstadt Revolt
•   New Economic Policy

As you can see the last dot point is the New Economic Policy (1921), so anything after that is just additional knowledge. I did the exam last year and I didn't study anything after this policy for the consequences of the revolution, as I found, by doing a lot of practise exams, that it wasn't necessarily required.

Ninjamagics

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2019, 10:49:57 pm »
So I've heard that they wont ask us about anything that has already been covered in the exam in the current study design, is this true and does it include the NHS exam aswell 

hawkrook

• Adventurer
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2019, 10:52:43 pm »
+1
So I've heard that they wont ask us about anything that has already been covered in the exam in the current study design, is this true and does it include the NHS exam aswell 

I have not heard this. I doubt its true. While it is likely they will examine something that they have not yet done, it is not guaranteed

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2020, 08:26:31 pm »
Is there anywhere a bank of good quotes on AN? Specifically for France and Russia.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2020, 08:44:49 pm »
For France, I've heard different things about the meaning and definition of the don gratuit. What is it? My teacher and Edrolo contradicted themselves.
Thanks!
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2020, 12:00:46 pm »
Please, someone, answer my questions?
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

greyhistorypodcasts

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2020, 09:32:35 pm »
+1
For France, I've heard different things about the meaning and definition of the don gratuit. What is it? My teacher and Edrolo contradicted themselves.
Thanks!

The Catholic Church was exempt from taxation. During times of financial stress, this taxation caused tension between the church and the french government. As a result, the church paid the “don gratuit” every five years. The don gratuit  (which translates to “voluntary gift”) was a gift contributed to the french treasury by the Catholic Church (essentially in return for its taxation exemption, as this gift was a fraction of the taxation the Church would have had to pay if its lands were taxed with a property tax).  In June 1788, the Assembly of the Clergy voted to give the government only 1,800,000 livres instead of the 8,000,000 the government had requested. The reduced don gratuit of 1788 indicates the widespread opposition which existed towards Brienne’s ministry at the height of the French government’s financial crisis.

If you're looking for a French Revolution podcast that is written by a former revs student and full of historiography, check out "Grey History: The French Revolution".

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2020, 09:57:34 am »
What is/are zemstvas (Russia)? It/they appeared in the teacher's information and I don't have the teacher on hand to ask.
Thanks!
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2020, 11:12:36 am »
+1
What is/are zemstvas (Russia)? It/they appeared in the teacher's information and I don't have the teacher on hand to ask.
Thanks!
My understanding is that zemstvos were an institution of local government set up after emancipation in 1861. Probably the equivalent of your local council or something.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2020, 11:19:34 am »
+1
My understanding is that zemstvos were an institution of local government set up after emancipation in 1861. Probably the equivalent of your local council or something.
Thank you! Will add to my notes.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her