Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 02:12:53 am

Author Topic: HELP please!  (Read 4034 times)

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
  • Masters degree in Procrastination
  • Respect: +115
HELP please!
« on: September 05, 2018, 09:28:15 am »
I just got a call from Deputy Principal, My subjects got rejected... VCE Accounting was refused... I have NO idea what to choose! This probably sounds stupid, but it means a lot to me to do subjects I want to do... hence the reason I ended up having a meltdown! Our school has a pretty small range of subjects... I now have the choices of.... Physics, Economics, VisCom, History, Geography or Food Tech. I was aiming for academic subjects... my long term goal is to become a registered accountant... that might help explain how much this meant to me! I hate essays... so History is definitely not one for me... I want subjects which boost (not lower) your ATAR... and Physics is not really my thing...?! So yeah... I'd be glad of help from anyone who will!
TIA
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:30:30 am by tomatosauce »
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Class of 2020 graduate... if I ever get there! :D
Year 11 - 2019:
English, Math Methods, VET Business 3/4, Legal Studies and Accounting

Year 12 - 2020:
English, VET Accounting 3/4, Math Methods, Legal Studies and VCE Accounting

2021: Chartered Accountant ;)

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
Re: HELP please!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 01:34:52 pm »
+1
-snip-
I just got a call from Deputy Principal, My subjects got rejected... VCE Accounting was refused... I have NO idea what to choose! This probably sounds stupid, but it means a lot to me to do subjects I want to do... hence the reason I ended up having a meltdown! Our school has a pretty small range of subjects... I now have the choices of.... Physics, Economics, VisCom, History, Geography or Food Tech. I was aiming for academic subjects... my long term goal is to become a registered accountant... that might help explain how much this meant to me! I hate essays... so History is definitely not one for me... I want subjects which boost (not lower) your ATAR... and Physics is not really my thing...?! So yeah... I'd be glad of help from anyone who will!
TIA
Step 1: Take a breath. It's not the end of the world... ;)
Step 2: Accounting:
What kinda D.E's can you get out there? I know a couple of 11's are doing D.E here, so I think there should be some availability...
You do know that you're most likely gonna do Accounting in Yr 12 anyway right?
Also, Cert IV extracurricular?
Step 3: Other subject.
I would highly recommend Physics. It's pretty simple and fun.
But if it really isn't your thing, try Geography maybe?
Also, try accelerating into Further 3/4. It's pretty simple and will give you spare time in year 12 if you can get it... ;)

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 01:36:42 pm by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 02:18:35 pm »
+7
Hey there.

Do you know why your subject choices got rejected? I’d recommend speaking with your subject coordinator.

VisComm and Food Tech are probably a bit more creative. How about Economics or Geography for something academic?

Have you considered studying Accounting via Distance Education? I’d recommending check DECV’s website if you’re absolutely set on Accounting.

My advice would be to take what you’re interested in rather than worrying about what might ‘lower’ your ATAR. Maths might scale but if it’s not your thing, you’re better off taking humanities-based subjects and scoring well in those, y’know? ;)

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 10:45:57 am »
Thanks so much S200 and Coffee!
Do you know why your subject choices got rejected? I’d recommend speaking with your subject coordinator.
I was given a reason - "We are not letting students do any subjects aside from what is on the list" Welll... that's bullshit cos there are 3 students within our campus doing French via DE... it is NOT on the list. Last night we questioned this... and they claimed that French was actually offered (it certainly isn't on the list I've got!) so now I'm wondering what other subjects are offered that aren't on the list?!
Step 2: Accounting:
What kinda D.E's can you get out there? I know a couple of 11's are doing D.E here, so I think there should be some availability...
You do know that you're most likely gonna do Accounting in Yr 12 anyway right?
Also, Cert IV extracurricular?
I was already intending to do Accounting via DE! (Another reason that I can't understand what basis they'd have for refusing it!)Yes... I did realise this... I was hoping to do all three courses - VCE Accounting 1/2, VCE Accounting 3/4 and VET Accounting.

VisComm and Food Tech are probably a bit more creative. How about Economics or Geography for something academic?
I would highly recommend Physics. It's pretty simple and fun.
I had considered these... but I'm not very artistic, although I LOVE design (I'm guessing this would be a problem?!) As for food tech - do you think allergies would be a problem?? Economics... I have no idea what it is - from what I've heard it sounds kind of boring! Geography - I'm not a fan... but I can tolerate it! Physics - My dad studied it... and from the 'physics' comments he makes it sounds REALLY, REALLY difficult!!!
One other thing I had wondered about... could I take General/Further alongside the Methods I'm already taking?? If I did that... would it count as another elective? S200 can you help here?? Just cos u know our school system!

Update: we emailed the Subject Co-ordinator yesterday she was a b*tch about the whole thing she basically said, "there is no point fighting for Accounting because this is the final decision, please call me to discuss your options of either Geography or Economics (she seemed to think I wanted one of these)! SO... more annoyed feelings... but hopefully we can talk to someone higher up to discuss this... praying hard that they'll be more reasonable!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:48:05 am by tomatosauce »
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Year 11 - 2019:

Year 12 - 2020:

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 11:53:59 am »
+1
well i know it is kinda different for nsw but:
- economics is good however i find it really hard doing it DE as no-one to discuss with (only 1 doing it in the school). This year i have learnt about the global economy, AU place in the global economy, economic issues & economics policies and management... all very interesting..

- physics: some chaps in yr11 do it here... sounds interesting from what i have discussed with them. more mathematical than sciencey...

- try push for accounting de or as a tafe course.

- geography: one of your posts said "cannot wait until year 11 when geo is not compulsory" so thinking not a good choice for you??

- can you do a legal course? i kinda regret not doing one but it was on the same line as MH so yeeah...

- history is awesome. I LOOOVE it but not really sure what you are into so. yeah.

all the best with it. PM if you have questions about these subjects... i do:
- Standard english
- Mathematics
- Extension 1 Maths
- Modern history
- Design & Technology
- Economics
- Business Studies.
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 12:03:57 pm »
+2
Hey tomatosauce. :) A few thoughts:

1. Sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds frustrating. For your own sake, though - and I'm sure you have been - make sure you keep calm and respectful when speaking to your teachers about it.

2. It definitely makes sense to study subjects you're interested in, so nice work for prioritising them!

3. What do you mean by "academic" subjects? My gut feeling is this probably excludes VisCom and Food Tech. I didn't do Food, but I definitely wouldn't recommend VCD if you're not very interested in it or willing to put in the work required.

4. If Accounting isn't an option, to me, Economics is the most relevant of those subjects for what you want to do.

5. "I want subjects which boost (not lower) your ATAR". I think it's important here to note that no subject will ever lower your ATAR. Some subjects scale down, but I don't think this is something you should really consider when selecting subjects - they scale down for a reason. Let us know if you want more clarity here. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 12:42:57 pm »
Thanks headsup n J41!
I think I've pushed my boundaries far enough with the powers that be... so now I'm trying to choose where to go? currently considering --> physics or economics? I'm not a fan of eco... but scared physics will be REALLY hard to understand?! Do you have to remember formulas etc. or can you take in theory sheet/s?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:34:45 pm by tomatosauce »
Year 11 - 2019:

Year 12 - 2020:

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 01:01:22 pm »
+1
Thanks so much S200 and Coffee!
I was given a reason - "We are not letting students do any subjects aside from what is on the list" Welll... that's bullshit cos there are 3 students within our campus doing French via DE... it is NOT on the list. Last night we questioned this... and they claimed that French was actually offered (it certainly isn't on the list I've got!) so now I'm wondering what other subjects are offered that aren't on the list?!
I was already intending to do Accounting via DE! (Another reason that I can't understand what basis they'd have for refusing it!)Yes... I did realise this... I was hoping to do all three courses - VCE Accounting 1/2, VCE Accounting 3/4 and VET Accounting.
I had considered these... but I'm not very artistic, although I LOVE design (I'm guessing this would be a problem?!) As for food tech - do you think allergies would be a problem?? Economics... I have no idea what it is - from what I've heard it sounds kind of boring! Geography - I'm not a fan... but I can tolerate it! Physics - My dad studied it... and from the 'physics' comments he makes it sounds REALLY, REALLY difficult!!!
One other thing I had wondered about... could I take General/Further alongside the Methods I'm already taking?? If I did that... would it count as another elective? S200 can you help here?? Just cos u know our school system!
Anytime...
Yeah, I know how hard it is to get other subjects past. It does help to sound really committed to the subject when you are asking. Couple of boys down on my campus got into two block E subjects because they were really determined and 'cause there was four of them.
But what I really don't get is their inflexibility on this. D.E isn't a massive cost, and we already have the technology run out through all the campuses, so... ??? :-\
But I actually think that that much accounting would actually pose a problem for you. I'd talk to the CAP coordinator on campuses and try to get the Accounting Cert IV past, rather than the Career Fundamentals that they are rolling out. Combine VET Accounting with the CERT IV and you pretty much cover your bases.

Incidentally, the Physics SD has almost certainly changed since your dad did it... And you get a double-sided A3 summary sheet for all the formulas! :D

But, to get to the question. Basically, they want you to do one Communication subject (Eco/Legal/PDT? etc) and one 'creative thinking' or Logic subject (History/Food/VCD/Physics/Geography) as well as your stock standard English, Math choice and Yr 11 VET 3/4. I would argue Further 3/4 would count as a creative thinking subject, and try to get it out of the way in Yr 11. But know this; It's gonna be a shitload of work to get all the concepts of Methods 1/2 whilst concurrently picking up anything you may have missed by jumping into Further 3/4. You'd prolly end up with the year 12 class. But, if you can pull it off, you'll have less to worry about throughout Yr 12, and you'll have a lot more SDL's. SO basically, you could make it another elective, and just tell them that it suits your career interests to have a strong math backing.

Thanks rick n nick!
I think I've pushed my boundaries far enough with the powers that be... so now I'm trying to choose where to go? currently considering --> physics or economics? I'm not a fan of eco... but scared physics will be REALLY hard to understand?! Do you have to remember formulas etc. or can you take in theory sheet/s?
As I'm doing both, I recon do Physics. It's certainly more relaxed, and Mrs J is an awesome teacher (If you have the same teacher as me). But getting to excursions may be an issue for you?
And yeah - A3 Summary sheet. The concepts may be a little odd at first (especially relativity), but I recon you'd pick it up pretty easy...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:05:31 pm by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 01:20:12 pm »
Thanks again! I've done a bit of research... and lots of discussing my options... and I think Physics will be the one I choose if we don't get anywhere with Accounting... We're gonna talk to Mr B cos he's more approachable and understanding etc. I don't really feel like it's going to get very far :-\ :'( ... but the squeaky tyre gets the oil...hopefully!

Incidentally, the Physics SD has almost certainly changed since your dad did it... And you get a double-sided A3 summary sheet for all the formulas! :D
;D I know he's ancient... and yes i agree... i was just making a comparison! ;) Bout the summary sheet... that makes me think it might be not quite so hard... and with these forums I think I'd probably catch on okay?!

Can you do a legal course? i kinda regret not doing one but it was on the same line as MH so yeeah...
Sorry I forgot to reply to this headsup... I'm doing Legal Studies, Maths Methods (don't know what equates to in NSW), English, Business, and whatever else it pans out to be... Accounting/Physics!

Thanks again everyone for your help!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:32:57 pm by tomatosauce »
Year 11 - 2019:

Year 12 - 2020:

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 06:24:54 pm »
+3
Physics is a really interesting and enjoyable subject, I totally recommend it! There are lots of youtube videos explaining really cool physics things that might spark your interest (although they are kinda hard to understand sometimes). I am doing year 11 physics and at first I thought it was hard but once you understand the concepts it isn't that hard. A lot of questions are just applying a formula to a worded question, or explaining why something happens. I think lots of the stuff you learn it cool because you can see the the stuff you learn in everyday life. I get excited when I can understand the physics behind regular life stuff. The topics we have covered this year are thermodynamics(heat stuff), electricity, matter/universe, motion.
Goodluck, I hope you get the subjects you want! :)
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 05:27:24 pm »
+7
I am sooooo excited... FINALLY my Accounting got approved! :D #partytime So... final subject list... English 1/2, Math Methods 1/2, Business Man 3/4, Accounting 1/2, Legal Studies 1/2! Thanks guys for your help... just FYI my back-up if it was refused again was Physics! ;) thanksS200
Year 11 - 2019:

Year 12 - 2020:

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 04:34:49 pm »
+1
I am sooooo excited... FINALLY my Accounting got approved! :D #partytime So... final subject list... English 1/2, Math Methods 1/2, Business Man 3/4, Accounting 1/2, Legal Studies 1/2! Thanks guys for your help... just FYI my back-up if it was refused again was Physics! ;) thanksS200

Congrats!!! Update signature time  ;)
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 10:41:12 am »
oh yep... thanks for the reminder!!! :D
Year 11 - 2019:

Year 12 - 2020: