Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 07:32:11 pm

Author Topic: VCE Subject Help  (Read 1411 times)

WMoon24

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
VCE Subject Help
« on: November 09, 2017, 05:36:22 pm »
Hey! I've lurked on these forums sometimes, but I'm in a bit of a hard place trying to pick VCE subjects- I've been told many differing opinions and I wanted to get some more  ;D

I'm currently in Year 10, choosing subjects for Year 11. I already chose them, but there's been a clash with one of them and I need to choose what other subject I do. I spent a long time just getting to those six and it's taking me ages to change one! I enjoy a pretty a large range of subjects (massive nerd, I know), so I found choosing subjects very hard. The five subjects I'm definitely doing next year are:

Literature
Maths Methods
Psych 3/4 (I did 1/2 this year and loved it)
Chemistry
French

And my sixth was history, but due to a timetabling clash, I can't do it with school. So, I basically have three options for the sixth subject now, and I can't figure out what to pick:

Option 1: 20th Century History- Distance Ed
My school says I can do history with distance ed, but I don't know a lot about it. They said I could probably do well, looking at my records, but I'm not sure if this would be a good choice? I'd like to have a physical teacher, I think. If anybody has done a distance ed subject, please give advice (if you have it XD)

Option 2: English
My school is encouraging me to do this- they say heaps of kids just do Lit and they don't do very well. I get pretty good English marks now, but I've heard many different opinions about whether Lit can be done with mainstream English. One teacher told me to not just do Lit, but another said I could do fine with just Lit, so I don't know. If it's a good idea, I could do it, but I'm not too keen on doing two Englishes.

Option 3: Physics
This is the sort of random third option, but it was in my reserves. I did Physics this year and loved it, but I'm not sure if it would be good in VCE? I'm leaning towards this, though, I think.

So, yeah. If anybody has any advice about which I should pick, I'd very much appreciate some thoughts.

Thank you!  8)

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: VCE Subject Help
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:44:17 pm »
+1
Honest opinion, without checking your background - do physics. Remember, you have to do this subject for a full two years. And during these years, you're going to be going at an absolute grind. You shouldn't be studying all the time, but you'll probably find that even during your breaks you're still thinking a lot about these subjects - which is just the nature of things when everyone around you really hypes up what you're doing.

You don't like the idea of doing two Englishes, so do you think you'll be okay for 2 years straight of doing so much English? You don't know how you'll do without a teacher there, and on top of that don't know if you'll like the subject. Physics, on the other hand, you know you'll like. Therefore, the absolute grind of VCE means you're more likely to not hate yourself if you do that over the others.

On top of that, tbh you could probably do 3/4 English with 1/2, particularly if you've done 1/2 lit, if after year 11 you decide you didn't like physics. Like, there'll be some things to adjust to, but text analysis won't have much in it, basically just the language analysis will require some looking into.

WMoon24

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:09:47 pm »
Honest opinion, without checking your background - do physics. Remember, you have to do this subject for a full two years. And during these years, you're going to be going at an absolute grind. You shouldn't be studying all the time, but you'll probably find that even during your breaks you're still thinking a lot about these subjects - which is just the nature of things when everyone around you really hypes up what you're doing.

You don't like the idea of doing two Englishes, so do you think you'll be okay for 2 years straight of doing so much English? You don't know how you'll do without a teacher there, and on top of that don't know if you'll like the subject. Physics, on the other hand, you know you'll like. Therefore, the absolute grind of VCE means you're more likely to not hate yourself if you do that over the others.

On top of that, tbh you could probably do 3/4 English with 1/2, particularly if you've done 1/2 lit, if after year 11 you decide you didn't like physics. Like, there'll be some things to adjust to, but text analysis won't have much in it, basically just the language analysis will require some looking into.

Yeah, that's good advice. A few friends have also said I should do Physics, so I reckon you're right. I want to pick stuff I actually want to do. Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to choose Physics. :)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:22:18 pm »
+3
Although it sounds like you've maybe made your mind up, I'll just chuck in my two cents:

20th Century History:
Although potentially difficult because it's via distance ed, if you enjoy history, go for it! I loved this subject, it was really interesting, and tbh not too tricky :) I think it's cool because you're learning about the world and you're learning something useful, and like, you can't necessarily say that about a number of the other VCE subjects haha. VCE History is just so, so, so much better than any History you do in years 7-10.
Also, if there's still a history teacher at your school who takes the subject - you can get help from them if you have any problems, so you're not entirely alone!

English:
If you're not keen on doing 2 Englishes, then probably don't do it. If you enjoy English, though, and think it's one of your strong areas then by all means - go for it! But, don't choose it just because someone's said it's hard to do well in Lit.

The great thing is that you can always change subjects if you find that they don't fit particularly well for you - year 11 is a test run :D

WMoon24

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:18:33 pm »
+1
Although it sounds like you've maybe made your mind up, I'll just chuck in my two cents:

20th Century History:
Although potentially difficult because it's via distance ed, if you enjoy history, go for it! I loved this subject, it was really interesting, and tbh not too tricky :) I think it's cool because you're learning about the world and you're learning something useful, and like, you can't necessarily say that about a number of the other VCE subjects haha. VCE History is just so, so, so much better than any History you do in years 7-10.
Also, if there's still a history teacher at your school who takes the subject - you can get help from them if you have any problems, so you're not entirely alone!

English:
If you're not keen on doing 2 Englishes, then probably don't do it. If you enjoy English, though, and think it's one of your strong areas then by all means - go for it! But, don't choose it just because someone's said it's hard to do well in Lit.

The great thing is that you can always change subjects if you find that they don't fit particularly well for you - year 11 is a test run :D

Thanks! Even though I'm pretty convinced with Physics, I'm definitely keeping History in the back of my mind. :) Thanks for the two cents, greatly appreciated  ;D