Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:48:13 pm

Author Topic: Year 10 to 11 Subject Selection  (Read 1375 times)

mindBLOWN

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Year 10 to 11 Subject Selection
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:08:27 pm »
+1
Hello guys,

I'm currently in Year 10 and planning to do VCE next year, I got some questions I want to ask.

What was it like to transfer to year 11?

Can you drop a subject in year 11 if I decided I don't like it?

I'm planning to become a mental health nurse, any ideas what subjects I should do?
Here is a draft.
English
Genereal Maths
Psychology
Biology --- is this hard?

And can you guys pick me like 2 more subjects to do? That is interesting and not a whole Lot of work load as I want to focus on psychology and maths. I'm not just not sure if I can cope with bio.

Cheers

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Year 10 to 11 Subject Selection
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:19:01 pm »
Moved from Biology to Victorian Education Discussion, given that the topic/question is much broader than one subject alone.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

notjefffree

• Fresh Poster
  • Study, Design, Code, Repeat
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:22:43 pm »
Chem isn't a bad choice to help understand medication etc., according to my mother.
I'd like to thank the pages in the world - especially that one Larry Page guy, I'd like to thank him a googol times!

Studying the Code of Design

FUN FACT: You can find me as @notjefffree pretty much everywhere!

jyce

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:36:12 pm »
+2
Hello guys,

I'm currently in Year 10 and planning to do VCE next year, I got some questions I want to ask.

What was it like to transfer to year 11?

Can you drop a subject in year 11 if I decided I don't like it?

I'm planning to become a mental health nurse, any ideas what subjects I should do?
Here is a draft.
English
Genereal Maths
Psychology
Biology --- is this hard?

And can you guys pick me like 2 more subjects to do? That is interesting and not a whole Lot of work load as I want to focus on psychology and maths. I'm not just not sure if I can cope with bio.

Cheers

Hi, mindBLOWN.

You shouldn't decide what VCE subjects to do based on other people's opinions. Furthermore, I can't really tell you what subjects are "interesting" and "not a whole lot of work", as this comes down to personal opinion. For example, I love Chemistry, but most of my friends disliked Chemistry and so didn't choose to do it in VCE. And because I enjoyed VCE Chemistry, the workload didn't feel as overwhelming as it might have for someone who didn't like Chemistry as much as I did.

My advice would be to first ensure that you're completing any subjects that serve as pre-requisites for any possible tertiary education courses you might be looking at doing. I'm not sure what, if any, pre-requisites, exist for each of the many different courses that are out there that relate to becoming a mental health worker; it might just be that you need a semi-decent score in English (SS of 25+ or something like that, but this can vary from institute to institute). I'm completing a Bachelor of Psychology at Monash myself, and I'm pretty sure my only requirement (other than ATAR) was either a SS of 25+ or 30+ in VCE English, I can't remember for sure though. Pre-requisites are definitely something you should ask your careers advisor at school about, as well as do your own research on.

Once you've gotten any pre-requisite subjects out of the way, you should simply choose subjects that you think you will personally find enjoyable and subjects that you think you will be good at (often, these two things come hand-in-hand). Try not to concern yourself too much with what the workloads are like or scaling, etc. The best subjects you can select FOR YOURSELF are subjects that YOU will enjoy. This will hopefully make VCE a more enjoyable, positive experience for you - and this can help you achieve high grades, too.

This all being said, I do think your subject selections so far seem appropriate to someone considering a career as a mental health worker. Also, do you think you could be interested in Human Health and Development, as I'm sure you'd find some connections between that subject and mental health work?

I can't comment on the difficulty of VCE Biology, as I didn't do it.

As for what it's like to transition into being a VCE student, for me, it was really just an increase in the personal responsibility I needed to have for my own learning. I needed to motivate myself, to be more organised so that I didn't miss deadlines, etc. Other than that, it was all really the same - there was no crazy jump in difficulty, and I already knew all of my VCE teachers.

And yes, you can drop subjects if you change your mind. Likely, this will require you to talk to the teacher of the subject you're dropping as well as your VCE coordinator (and possibly career advisor). You may or may not pick up another subject to replace the subject you've dropped.

Hope you find this helpful, but yeah, stick to any pre-requisite subjects and then subjects you think you'll enjoy.

Good luck with your studies! :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:45:48 pm by jyce »

Blue7

• Adventurer
  • School: Kingswood
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 10:15:06 am »
Hi

I am planning to take VCE biology 3/4 and Accounting 3/4 in Year 11.
I haven't done Biology 1 & 2.

Has anyone managed to do the same in Year 11.  How difficult was it?

I am planning to take
English
Maths methods
Chemistry
Psychology in Year 12.

Thanks