Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:23:29 am

Author Topic: VCE Methods Question Thread!  (Read 4819313 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Re: VCE Methods Question Thread!
« Reply #17985 on: July 10, 2019, 11:07:10 pm »
Why do sin and cos graphs look like squiggly lines? And why does the graph of the tan function look how it does? Is there an explanation?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Matthew_Whelan

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #17986 on: July 11, 2019, 12:24:33 am »
Hey with probability questions, is there a preference of answering with decimals or as a percentage?

Why do sin and cos graphs look like squiggly lines? And why does the graph of the tan function look how it does? Is there an explanation?
It's to do with circles; sin is vertical, cos horizontal, tan is gradient - when you move 90 degrees (anticlockwise) from the starting position (right side of circle), its vertical so a sin(x) graph will show y=1 for x=pi/2. cos(x) graph on the other hand will have y=1 at x=0 and x=pi since thats when the position on the circle is horizontal. Tan(x) has asymptotes when the position on the circle is vertical (undefined), so when x=pi/2 for instance.
At least thats how I think of it, hope that helps :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:26:41 am by Matthew_Whelan »
2018: Psychology
2019: English, Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
ATAR: 88.65

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #17987 on: July 11, 2019, 09:56:18 am »
For Methods will we need to learn about osculating circles? I'm confused, because some of the students at my school are learning them, (idk if it's for vce methods or something else). If not, can someone pls tell me where I can find VCE Maths Methods Study design (current)?

Thank you

AlphaZero

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • \[\Gamma(z)\Gamma(1-z)=\frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi z)}\]
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #17988 on: July 11, 2019, 02:04:11 pm »
+1
Hey with probability questions, is there a preference of answering with decimals or as a percentage?

You must give an exact value unless otherwise stated.

The question will state whether to give your answer as a percentage or not.

Almost all of the time, you will be giving an answer of a numerical value between 0 and 1.
2015\(-\)2017:  VCE
2018\(-\)2021:  Bachelor of Biomedicine and Mathematical Sciences Diploma, University of Melbourne

AlphaZero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #17989 on: July 11, 2019, 02:16:04 pm »
+2
For Methods will we need to learn about osculating circles? I'm confused, because some of the students at my school are learning them, (idk if it's for vce methods or something else). If not, can someone pls tell me where I can find VCE Maths Methods Study design (current)?

Thank you

(Sorry for the double post, but this is a different question).

Could you elaborate by perhaps providing an example of a question?

The specific concept of osculating circles isn't mentioned in the study design, but it wouldn't be too hard for VCAA to integrate it into a question.

The current VCE Mathematics study design can be found here.
2018\(-\)2021:  Bachelor of Biomedicine and Mathematical Sciences Diploma, University of Melbourne

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #17990 on: July 11, 2019, 06:39:05 pm »
+2
Someone please help me with the questions in the attached pdf. I know you need to use the distance formula for question 1a, but after that, my composure and confidence in myself to do the rest of the questions falls apart.

Even just some explanation on how to get started on Questions 1a-f would be much appreciated. If someone can go through some possible methods for approaching the remaining questions, that would be even more awesome!
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

BAH0003

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17991 on: July 11, 2019, 06:57:36 pm »
Hi,

I was working through this question and have completed a few parts from it, but I am stuck on the following parts. If anyone could go through these parts that would be great.

Thanks

BAH0003

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17992 on: July 11, 2019, 06:58:28 pm »
Hi,

I was working through this question and have completed a few parts from it, but I am stuck on the following parts. If anyone could go through these parts that would be great.

Thanks

BAH0003

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17993 on: July 11, 2019, 07:00:48 pm »
Hi,

Thanks

Sorry, there was a bit of a glitch and this posted twice please ignore one

Matthew_Whelan

• Forum Regular
« Reply #17994 on: July 11, 2019, 07:13:03 pm »
Someone please help me with the questions in the attached pdf. I know you need to use the distance formula for question 1a, but after that, my composure and confidence in myself to do the rest of the questions falls apart.

Even just some explanation on how to get started on Questions 1a-f would be much appreciated. If someone can go through some possible methods for approaching the remaining questions, that would be even more awesome!

So distance can be found using trig for 150/cos(angle), but the question wants it in terms of x so I used pythag to find d = (x^2 -400x + 62500)^1/2, although I could be wrong.
on the grass the velocity is 1m/s so t = d/v = d, so time and distance are equivalent on the grass.
Part c is time on grass + time from X to B, so d/v (AX) + d/v (BX) = d + x/2 =(x^2 -400x + 62500)^1/2 + x/2.
I don't have time to do the rest but I hope that these ones are correct.  :D

Sorry, there was a bit of a glitch and this posted twice please ignore one
You can remove and/or edit your posts to tidy it up.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:26:10 pm by Matthew_Whelan »

AlphaZero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #17995 on: July 11, 2019, 09:13:19 pm »
+3

Part a
The length \(AX\) is the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle \((\triangle ACX)\), so we have \[d=\sqrt{150^2+(200-x)^2}=\sqrt{x^2-400x+62500}\]
Part b
The time taken is given by the distance divided by the speed. Thus, \[T_1=\frac{d}{1}=\sqrt{x^2-400x+62500}\]
Part c
The total time is given by the time taken to travel \(AX\) plus the time taken to travel \(BX\).  Using the same idea as in part b, can you write an expression for the time taken to travel \(BX\) in terms of \(x\)?

Spoiler
\[T(x)=\sqrt{x^2-400x+62500}+\frac{x}{2}\]

Part d
What is a useful domain of \(x\)? Hint: is there much point travelling to the right when at point \(A\)?

Part e.i
Now that your have \(T(x)\), use you CAS.

Part e.ii
This is a standard optimisation problem. What is the value of \(\dfrac{dT}{dx}\) at the point where \(T\) is minimum?

Part f
Now that you have the value of \(x\) for which \(T\) is minimum, what is the minimum value of \(T\)?

Part g
This question tells you what to do. Pick values slightly to the left and slightly to the right of the critical value found in part e.ii. Determine the values of \(\dfrac{dT}{dx}\) at these values. What do these tell you about the nature of the stationary point found?

Part h
\(x=200\)

Part i
\(x=0\)

Part j
\(x=100\)

Part k.i
Use your CAS to sketch it. Remember that \(T\) has a domain.

Part k.ii
Use the graph you just sketched.

Okay, I'm going to leave it here. Part L onwards requires a bit of thought. Make a start with what I've given.

AlphaZero

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #17996 on: July 11, 2019, 09:19:55 pm »
+1
Hi,

Thanks

Part b.ii
Use the remaining point to find \(d\). You know that \(x=0\) and \(y=31.5\).

Part b.iii
The maximum height of the larger hill occurs when \(\dfrac{dy}{dx}=0\). This gives you the \(x\)-coordinate of this point. How can you use this to find the height?

Part c
Let  \(y=10\).

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #17997 on: July 11, 2019, 10:33:11 pm »
Why is the inverse function of f(x)= e2x for x ∈ R+ equal to

BAH0003

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17998 on: July 11, 2019, 10:38:33 pm »
Hi,

I am having trouble with part d) of this question. It follows on with other parts of a question which I have attached. I have written that 'p' can indeed have stationary points but am not sure what the possible values of 'p' could be. If anyone can list these possible values that would be great, as this is apart of a big assignment that is due soon. Please note this is from question 4 from the first picture.

Thank You and Kind Regards.

Matthew_Whelan

• Forum Regular
« Reply #17999 on: July 11, 2019, 10:45:46 pm »
Why is the inverse function of f(x)= e2x for x ∈ R+ equal to
Let f(x)=y.
y= e2x (switch x and y to find inverse)
x= e2y
2y = loge(x)
y = 1/2(loge(x))

Hi,

I am having trouble with part d) of this question. It follows on with other parts of a question which I have attached. I have written that 'p' can indeed have stationary points but am not sure what the possible values of 'p' could be. If anyone can list these possible values that would be great, as this is apart of a big assignment that is due soon. Please note this is from question 4 from the first picture.

Thank You and Kind Regards.
So if you have a quartic function, then the graph can have either one, two or three stationary points.
Another way to think of it is if you derive ax4+bx3+cx2+dx+e you get 4ax3+3bx2+2cx+d which makes it a cubic.
To find possible stationary points you'd make it =0, and cubics can only have 1,2, or 3 values of x where y=0.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:00:59 pm by Matthew_Whelan »