Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:22:15 am

Author Topic: Understanding the ATAR  (Read 2305 times)

neha.singh4

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Understanding the ATAR
« on: February 14, 2021, 05:21:16 pm »
Could someone please explain to me how ranking and internal/ external marks are calculated for the HSC. I have read multiple articles and watched many videos but still struggle to understand the way it works!

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: Understanding the ATAR
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 06:26:21 pm »
+5
Is there a specific part you don't understand, or just the whole thing in general? If it's something specific, I can explain it here but if the whole thing is just a garbled mess then it might be easier for you to look in this board where there are already a few explanations.

Hope this helps :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

neha.singh4

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 06:31:51 pm »
+1
Is there a specific part you don't understand, or just the whole thing in general? If it's something specific, I can explain it here but if the whole thing is just a garbled mess then it might be easier for you to look in this board where there are already a few explanations.

Hope this helps :)

Hello!

Yes so I'm struggling to understand how the internal ranking and external marks are used to calculate the overall ATAR.
For example if you're ranked 3rd in your internal exams does that mean you receive the 3rd external mark?

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 06:53:48 pm »
+4
Hello!

Yes so I'm struggling to understand how the internal ranking and external marks are used to calculate the overall ATAR.
For example if you're ranked 3rd in your internal exams does that mean you receive the 3rd external mark?

Hey! :D

Yes, that's exactly right, but NESA considers Moderation; The following videos produced by ATAR Notes should help:

Also, check out "Eddie Woo's" videos:

I hope this helps! And if you have any questions please ask :)
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 08:48:33 am »
+3
The videos Coolmate posted definitely help, but here's an explanation if you don't want to watch them :D

Hello!

That's pretty much the gist of it. You're ranked internally with your internal marks. Your cohort's external marks will be realigned to better reflect your cohort's internal mark distribution, but not match it - after this, your actual HSC mark will be averaged with the mark you receive that corresponds with your rank (ie. the 3rd highest realigned external mark - if you're ranked 3rd). In theory, none of this matters if you all end up getting the same mark in the final exam or if there is only one student - so aim to get the best out of everybody in your year!

If there's anything else that doesn't quite sit right feel free to ask again :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions