Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:41 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231677 times)

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4335 on: March 22, 2019, 08:56:16 pm »
+1
Hello,
I have rarely posted in the English Advanced forums, but I just wanted to ask, is there any decent analysis/ or essays for 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens anywhere? Thanks :)

Hey there,

You could try checking out the atarnotes free notes section or potentially a google search could do the trick. Alternatively, try academic sites such as jstor and google scholar for a more in depth analysis.

Good luck,
- avocadinq
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

sarrahbarodawala

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4336 on: March 22, 2019, 08:59:26 pm »
+1
Hey, sarrahbarodawala!

For that component of the assessment specifically, you would need to demonstrate critical reflection and your ability to evaluate, justify, assess and analyse the creative choices you made in your creative. Critical reflection requires an immersion into your piece and an ability to deconstruct it. Imagine it as a box in which you unpack, inspect and evaluate the relevance/effectiveness of the content to your intentions. An appropriate structure you could follow is as below;

- Introduction: Brief statement about the creative, how it was catalysed from Keats' poetry and Campion's Bright Star and your purpose for reinventing a Romantic convention in a contemporary context.
- Body 1: Introduce a key language form you employed in the creative (non-linear narrative, form manipulation, intertextuality etc.) and how it links to a Romantic convention. The rest of the body would discuss where your creative decisions can be seen, evidenced in your textual references and technical analysis. This is also where you would integrate your Keats poems and explain how they influenced your creative writing.
- Body 2: Introduce a key concept in your creative and how it is conveyed with the Romantic convention. The rest of the body would be structured as above  :)
- Conclusion: Final statement on how effectively the Romantic convention was employed and what you aim for the creative to inspire and/or comment on about contemporary society.

The links back to today's context are to ensure that you are aware of your own audience and how you would like to transform the Romantic convention in respects to them. Hope this makes sense!

Angelina  ;D

Thank you very much!

froglet.styles

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4337 on: March 22, 2019, 09:02:53 pm »
Hello! I need help :( I'm topping every subject except for english adv which i'm currently ranked in a low position, so any help would be a blessing.

I have an assessment due on monday and it is nearly finished, however I have this question that is part of my assessment that I dont think I have answered properly

Our assessment is to compare Keats poetry (I chose grecian urn, la belle dame) and campion's film bright star
the assessment question is to explain to prove that through campion's readaptation responder is given insight on what resonates and disparates
for my resonate part i did the Romantic values and negative in which is still evident in both, however I lack on the disparate part, what do you think disparates within her film and keats' poetry? pls help :((

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4338 on: March 23, 2019, 12:42:28 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just wondering, what is purpose of establishing Richard III as a multifaceted character in Shakespeare's King Richard III? Or potentially what was Shakespeare's purpose in doing so?
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4339 on: March 23, 2019, 01:57:58 pm »
+1
Hello! I need help :( I'm topping every subject except for english adv which i'm currently ranked in a low position, so any help would be a blessing.

I have an assessment due on monday and it is nearly finished, however I have this question that is part of my assessment that I dont think I have answered properly

Our assessment is to compare Keats poetry (I chose grecian urn, la belle dame) and campion's film bright star
the assessment question is to explain to prove that through campion's readaptation responder is given insight on what resonates and disparates
for my resonate part i did the Romantic values and negative in which is still evident in both, however I lack on the disparate part, what do you think disparates within her film and keats' poetry? pls help :((

Hey, froglet.styles!

The "resonate" part is working well! As for the "disparate" part, you would examine what new light Campion's film sheds on Keats' poetry. More specifically, you could look at how the film is largely shown from Fanny's point of view which has a huge impact on how we interpret the poems. We become more aware of the origins of Keats' most famous works, as well as how significant their relationship was to his craft. The film also enables Fanny to exist outside of Keats' writing; we see her doing what she loves most, having fun and being someone outside of this mysterious lover Keats portrays in the poems.

I would suggest arguing that what is disparate about the film, the new insight and perspectives it introduces, actually helps Keats' poetry resonate even further for a contemporary audience. There are many times throughout it that Fanny asks Keats to teach her poetry, to show a glimpse of his world to her. You could almost look at this as Campion encouraging the audience to similarly immerse in his work, as many of his ideas are still relevant today. Essentially, what makes the film different from the poems is what enhances our understanding and appreciation of it in a modern world. Hope that makes sense and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4340 on: March 23, 2019, 02:12:19 pm »
+2
Hi everyone,

Just wondering, what is purpose of establishing Richard III as a multifaceted character in Shakespeare's King Richard III? Or potentially what was Shakespeare's purpose in doing so?

Hey, avocadinq!

While we can't know for sure what Shakespeare intended, Shakespeare did a great job at creating complex characters. Richard III's multi-faceted nature explores various aspects of the human condition, revealing that even those in royalty or who are in favourable positions within society are flawed. What this does is to assist his audience in supporting a more righteous monarchy by showcasing different examples of leaders in his plays. They are then able to discern what qualities they value in leadership and make informed decisions on pledging loyalty, especially to Queen Elizabeth who was his key patron at the time. You could argue that by constructing this version of Richard III, he pleases his Queen, whilst also being self-aware of his manipulation of audience perceptions and creating what was basically propaganda for her by showing the stark contrast.

I provided some readings for another user in this thread which might help inform your understanding of his purpose further, especially in relation to Richard III. Hope this helps  ;D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

alexnero7

• Adventurer
« Reply #4341 on: March 25, 2019, 02:47:25 pm »
Hey!! I need your help!

I'm studying John Keats' poetry and Campion's "Bright Star". I have an essay due pretty soon, and I have a few questions.

1) How many words is appropriate for an essay that needs to be written in 50 minutes? Note: I'm an average writer, and I'm not really a speed writer either.

2) At the moment, I have 4 body paragraphs, but I feel like it's too long. Each paragraph is roughly 300 words.
I have to try and reference 7 of Keats' poems, I've only referred to 6. I could of done 7, but because my essay will be like super long, I chose to remove it. What do you think is my best option.

I'm really confused at the moment. If you could help me, that would be highly appreciated.  :)

Kind Regards

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4342 on: March 25, 2019, 04:25:09 pm »
+1
Hey!! I need your help!

I'm studying John Keats' poetry and Campion's "Bright Star". I have an essay due pretty soon, and I have a few questions.

1) How many words is appropriate for an essay that needs to be written in 50 minutes? Note: I'm an average writer, and I'm not really a speed writer either.

2) At the moment, I have 4 body paragraphs, but I feel like it's too long. Each paragraph is roughly 300 words.
I have to try and reference 7 of Keats' poems, I've only referred to 6. I could of done 7, but because my essay will be like super long, I chose to remove it. What do you think is my best option.

I'm really confused at the moment. If you could help me, that would be highly appreciated.  :)

Kind Regards

Hey, alexnero7!

For an essay under exam conditions, you should aim for about 800-1100 words. I would recommend writers who write at an average speed or need time to adapt under exam conditions to sit at a 900-1000 word bracket. Your essay could follow a rough word count scaffold like the one I have below and you can add or subtract from the paragraphs as you wish depending on how manageable you find it.

- Introduction (100 words)
- Body 1 (200 words)
- Body 2 (200 words)
- Body 3 (200 words)
- Body 4 (200 words)
- Conclusion (100 words)

My next point is just to clarify whether your assessment specifically said to reference all his poems. Usually, you would only need to refer to two of them and explore them in depth. Unless it has been written in your assessment that you need to use all his poems, you do not. Referencing all seven substantially is impossible under timed conditions, especially when you have technical analysis and synthesis to engage in for Module A. If you would like to stick to the above structure with four bodies, I would have Poem 1 and Poem 2 In bodies 1 and 3, with the film and your comparative evaluations in bodies 2 and 4. You could even join those up into two large bodies if you wanted like this,

- Body 1 (400 words)
- Body 2 (400 words)
- Conclusion (100 words)

or work with three bodies like this with Poem 1+ Film, Poem 2+ Film and Poems 1+ 2+ Film.

- Body 1 (250 words)
- Body 2 (250 words)
- Body 3 (300 words)
- Conclusion (100 words)

If you are struggling to cut down on words, firstly decide which poems to keep. Choose the ones with the best techniques and shared aspects with Campion’s film according to your understanding. It’ll be easier for you to find more analysis and quotes if you need to. I would then suggest going through the whole essay, seeing what is worth keeping, what you could take out and still retain the essence of your argument. If you are in need to extra help, do feel free to put it up on our Marking and Feedback Thread for someone to jump in and assist.

Hope that helps and good luck with the assessment!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:16:29 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

infectmarshroom

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4343 on: March 25, 2019, 05:17:09 pm »
For the assessment alexnero7 addressed, our teacher has claimed we must mention all 7 poems as that is what is required in the HSC. Our school receives 6s in English yet this is what our head teacher has been saying? I've searched through markers notes to no avail. Can you confirm that for the HSC there is no requirement to discuss more than 3 poems, and on the contrary, if there is any disadvantage in examining all the poems within the one essay?

Thank you!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4344 on: March 25, 2019, 06:56:39 pm »
For the assessment alexnero7 addressed, our teacher has claimed we must mention all 7 poems as that is what is required in the HSC. Our school receives 6s in English yet this is what our head teacher has been saying? I've searched through markers notes to no avail. Can you confirm that for the HSC there is no requirement to discuss more than 3 poems, and on the contrary, if there is any disadvantage in examining all the poems within the one essay?

Thank you!

Hey, infectmarshroom!

From what I have read in the syllabus, it doesn't specify at all anywhere about needing to mention all seven. It is highly recommended that you know all seven well in the event that they ask you to refer specifically to one but in the exam, they would usually expect you to only discuss whatever is being specified by the paper. In previous years, questions have been worded in ways such as "make close reference to your prescribed texts", never "make close reference to ALL your prescribed texts." When I did poetry, we were always advised two to three poems and I did mine with a second text like how you have with Mod A  :)

However, if your school has had a tradition of success with what your head teacher has claimed, then let me reassure you that examining all the poems within the one essay won't put you at a disadvantage. It just means that you have to be more concise. Schools all do things differently so in this case, I would advise you to follow their advice for internals. However, unless they specify exactly how many poems you need to discuss, I would suggest no more than three to enable more in depth engagement and analysis in the HSC.

For both your benefit and alexnero7's, I think this would work out as a structure for your essay if you need to do all seven for the assessment  ;D

Introduction (100 words)

Body 1- Theme 1 (250 words)
- Two poems and film.
- A quote from the poems with a technique each.
- A scene from the film with two techniques.

Body 2 -Theme 2 (250 words)
- Two poems and film.
- A scene from the film with two techniques.

Body 3- Theme 3 (300 words)
- Three poems and film.
- A scene from the film with three techniques.

Conclusion (100 words)

Hope that clarifies any concerns! In summary, disregard my recommendations in the previous post and do what your school has advised. However, know that you won't be required to have to mention all seven in the final exams unless they specifically tell you that you have to in the question. It doesn't put you at an advantage or disadvantage. It's not how much you write; it's what you write about  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

infectmarshroom

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4345 on: March 26, 2019, 03:04:43 pm »
Thank you very much (:

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4346 on: March 27, 2019, 09:25:34 pm »
Hello!

I have an in-class assessment next week, and we are allowed to take in one page (A4) of quotes.
The question is unseen but our texts are The Tempest (Shakespeare) and Hag Seed (Atwood).

As we have no idea what the question will be on (characters, context, themes) etc, I was wondering if anyone could provide advice on how they would approach this and what sort of quotes they would try and take in, because I have no idea where to start! Obviously the quotes will need to be broad and cover a range of possible questions....

Thanks!!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4347 on: March 28, 2019, 09:12:48 am »
+2
Hello!

I have an in-class assessment next week, and we are allowed to take in one page (A4) of quotes.
The question is unseen but our texts are The Tempest (Shakespeare) and Hag Seed (Atwood).

As we have no idea what the question will be on (characters, context, themes) etc, I was wondering if anyone could provide advice on how they would approach this and what sort of quotes they would try and take in, because I have no idea where to start! Obviously the quotes will need to be broad and cover a range of possible questions....

Thanks!!

Hey, 0102megan!

I had one of these assessments in Year 11 and I found it really helpful to group the quotes under themes. For example, the first four quotes were from the same theme, the next from the same and so forth. I would also choose different kinds of techniques (so not just five examples of personification) to ensure you have a more diverse array of examples to work with. This way, you can prepare evidence for a variety of paragraphs and adapt your analysis accordingly to the unseen question. Good themes for Tempest/Hagseed are imprisonment, creation, revenge, redemption and forgiveness.

Another way you could organise it is to pair up quotes over the two texts. Find quotes that have similarities to one another or that discuss similar ideas (the “resonances” of your texts) and then have quotes that contrast one another to show how context has influenced them (the “dissonances”in your texts).  This will also help you explore intertextuality more in-depth. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:41:34 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4348 on: March 29, 2019, 08:04:30 pm »
Hey, 0102megan!

I had one of these assessments in Year 11 and I found it really helpful to group the quotes under themes. For example, the first four quotes were from the same theme, the next from the same and so forth. I would also choose different kinds of techniques (so not just five examples of personification) to ensure you have a more diverse array of examples to work with. This way, you can prepare evidence for a variety of paragraphs and adapt your analysis accordingly to the unseen question. Good themes for Tempest/Hagseed are imprisonment, creation, revenge, redemption and forgiveness.

Another way you could organise it is to pair up quotes over the two texts. Find quotes that have similarities to one another or that discuss similar ideas (the “resonances” of your texts) and then have quotes that contrast one another to show how context has influenced them (the “dissonances”in your texts).  This will also help you explore intertextuality more in-depth. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

Thank you so much!!
I am trying to do this now!!

Just another question, we also have to write a reflection at the end of our essay...
I have attached the instructions from our notification. Does this mean that there will be a question we have to answer? How should I prepare for this - just looking at how composer's are influenced by the texts in general and develop some key points for that?
The thing I am confused about for the reflection, is that I feel like I'm going to write it like an essay. Do I need quotes and how do I structure it so it is more like an reflection, rather than an essay??

Thank you so much for all your help and advice!!!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4349 on: March 30, 2019, 12:28:43 pm »
+1
Thank you so much!!
I am trying to do this now!!

Just another question, we also have to write a reflection at the end of our essay...
I have attached the instructions from our notification. Does this mean that there will be a question we have to answer? How should I prepare for this - just looking at how composer's are influenced by the texts in general and develop some key points for that?
The thing I am confused about for the reflection, is that I feel like I'm going to write it like an essay. Do I need quotes and how do I structure it so it is more like an reflection, rather than an essay??

Thank you so much for all your help and advice!!!

Hey, 0102megan!

The instruction seem quite vague. So from my understanding, you have an essay and a reflection as well? If so, I would prepare links for your quotes to the module. Rather than analysing the effect of techniques and whatnot, the reflection would focus more on how certain quotes deliver views and provide insight on the texts. The reflection would be personally driven, meaning you should reflect on how your own study of these texts have enabled you to have a renewed outlook on how they interact.

To structure it, I would have an introduction, first body on textual form, second body on concepts/s and a conclusion. Context and whatnot will be integrated throughout  :) Hope that makes sense! Do clarify with your teachers just in case I could be mistaken  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-