VCE Stuff > Victorian Education Discussion

Economics or Accounting?

(1/4) > >>

cricketer12345:
Hi All!

Im currently in year 10, but these are the subjects i want to complete in year 12:
Bio
Methods
Further
English language
Chem

But im stuck on the last one. I am thinking economics or accounting but cant choose. I really enjoy maths, but im also strong in english and science.

i hope to head into a career in health/medicine if that helps.

All suggestions and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!  :) :)

brady_price:
I thoroughly enjoyed 3/4 economics, if you have an interest in business or politics it is definitely a great subject to take; really relevant to the real world and handy for discussions. It is, however, probably the hardest business subject out there, with a really competitive cohort, so that is something to keep in mind. As for accounting I hear mixed reviews, but can't speak from experience. Good luck with the decision!

rocksonchan:
Economics was my favourite subject, would highly recommend, very applicable to daily life! As for accounting, it is a good but less interesting subject, but many people do really well in accounting, whereas economics is more difficult in my opinion. If you are considering doing Bachelor of Commerce, both subjects will come in handy for your first year units!!

Good luck :)

jameslaven:
I'm currently compleing Year 11 and am doing both 3/4 Economics and 1/2 Accounting. 3/4 Economics is my favourite subject, as it is just so interesting and is quite applicable to the real world, along with it requiring a fair knowledge of current events and some deep thinking. However it is competitive and I have found the workload to be substantial at times. Accounting on the other hand is good, but nowhere near as interesting as Economics. Accounting I find is more process based and with either a right or a wrong answer. Either way you choose you'll be picking up a good subject.

Good luck!!

jameslaven:
Yeah, you're correct, accounting is more maths and process based whereas your economics will be more English focused, with most of the marks from short answer questions. The maths you do in accounting though is very basic/easy so I would probably say that you wouldn't find it too hard or full on, especially if you enjoy maths.

As for the competitiveness for Economics, I am averaging 97% in my SAC's and am still only 1.5 marks ahead of second place.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version