Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:52:26 pm

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 380933 times)  Share 

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #1275 on: July 30, 2019, 07:25:54 pm »
No really, I am super amazed, idek how I got in. This is so true for me. I also got mine around 10. If i studied hard for the entrance test, then I should study insane, like mad for the interviews. My interview is on the 10th of august. So sad, just 10 days, this is gonna be difficult for someone like me. DW for the projects Synx, there is still time to join competitions for science. BTW, for those in JMSS, can we like bring awards from year 6, cos I don't have many for the last two years :P
still have time? we have no more than 10 days, and I'll be busy preparing information. I don't know much about science competitions here at Australia. I've just arrived here last year. Throughout my life, I almost receive no support for my science, and I learn it solely on books, now the internet. I never knew any competitions that related to science, and my projects often fails because poor support and tight budget. Just months before the information night I knew there was a SCIENCE school called John Monash Science SchoolI don't have achievements to show them, but I do have some knowledge and some thinking abilities. Maybe what I can all give out is a screenshot of my Khan Academy home page, a picture of myself doing poorly engineered scientific project, or calculating rocket science while playing KSP?
and, have anyone being taking notes on the Information Night? maybe I can exploit it and vary my original plan for the interview?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:43:55 pm by SynX »
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

jiminn:0

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1276 on: July 30, 2019, 07:55:29 pm »
is the interview just with you and the interviewer or many other people?

Galacticguard98

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1277 on: July 30, 2019, 08:05:05 pm »
Hey so I sat the jmss test last year. I got an interview too but eventually rejected. I only got 2 superiors and 2 high and 1 average which is pretty terrible. My number one tip is to not overly try and impress the interviewer because that’s what I did. Demonstrate your aptitude  for science and your co curricular activities clearly.
Any questions please ask

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1278 on: July 30, 2019, 08:18:30 pm »
Hey so I sat the jmss test last year. I got an interview too but eventually rejected. I only got 2 superiors and 2 high and 1 average which is pretty terrible. My number one tip is to not overly try and impress the interviewer because that’s what I did. Demonstrate your aptitude  for science and your co curricular activities clearly.
Any questions please ask
you have done a great job and thanks for the experience. I devoted a lot (pretty much my expected path in high school until university) to JMSS. If I was easily rejected, I think my mind will surely have a rapid unscheduled disassembly.
If I may ask, shall I insert a lot of quotes from the information night?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:30:30 pm by SynX »

Isla77

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #1279 on: July 30, 2019, 09:04:54 pm »
+1
I also graduated from JMSS, and also helped out in the interview process last year.
Firstly congratulations to everyone who got an interview!

Quotes from the information night could be useful, but make sure you use it to explain what made the school appeal to you, or in other words what you found attractive about the school.

My top advise for the interview is to explain in detail WHY you like Science, HOW it has affected you in the past (if it has, if it hasn't it's okay) and WHAT your hopes are in the future, as a result of your passion for Science.
I think it'll really help if you have an example about when you thought Science was cool, when you got excited about things you saw in a prac, or maybe when you realized knowing a simple scientific fact changed the way you see things. Like, when you learned that everything is made up of atoms, you realized everything you see are huge clusters of really tiny tiny atoms, and you thought that was really cool. Ideally a more detailed example is better if you can think of any, but the idea is sharing an example of what you thought about Science will get you a long way ;)

Also, not sure if they are doing this year but if you have a group discussion interview, where you sit with other students and discuss a topic, try to say something, anything, no matter how obvious your ideas are. You will almost always get some marks for saying something.

Finally, just wanted to say that it's totally okay to be nervous, I was so so so nervous on the day as well, I hardly remember anything ;D The JMSS students assisting and the teachers are usually nice too :)

Good luck guys!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 09:07:04 pm by Isla77 »

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1280 on: July 30, 2019, 09:20:09 pm »
Any questions please ask

I also graduated from JMSS, and also helped out in the interview process last year.

Quotes from the information night could be useful, but make sure you use it to explain what made the school appeal to you, or in other words what you found attractive about the school.

My top advise for the interview is to explain in detail WHY you like Science, HOW it has affected you in the past (if it has, if it hasn't it's okay) and WHAT your hopes are in the future, as a result of your passion for Science.
I think it'll really help if you have an example about when you thought Science was cool, when you got excited about things you saw in a prac, or maybe when you realized knowing a simple scientific fact changed the way you see things. Like, when you learned that everything is made up of atoms, you realized everything you see are huge clusters of really tiny tiny atoms, and you thought that was really cool. Ideally a more detailed example is better if you can think of any, but the idea is sharing an example of what you thought about Science will get you a long way ;)

Also, not sure if they are doing this year but if you have a group discussion interview, where you sit with other students and discuss a topic, try to say something, anything, no matter how obvious your ideas are. You will almost always get some marks for saying something.

Finally, just wanted to say that it's totally okay to be nervous, I was so so so nervous on the day as well, I hardly remember anything ;D The JMSS students assisting and the teachers are usually nice too :)

Good luck guys!!

Thank you so much for your advice guys, ur all really a lifesaver. You have been of so much help to me.
still have time? we have no more than 10 days, and I'll be busy preparing information. I don't know much about science competitions here at Australia. I've just arrived here last year. Throughout my life, I almost receive no support for my science, and I learn it solely on books, now the internet. I never knew any competitions that related to science, and my projects often fails because poor support and tight budget. Just months before the information night I knew there was a SCIENCE school called John Monash Science SchoolI don't have achievements to show them, but I do have some knowledge and some thinking abilities. Maybe what I can all give out is a screenshot of my Khan Academy home page, a picture of myself doing poorly engineered scientific project, or calculating rocket science while playing KSP?
and, have anyone being taking notes on the Information Night? maybe I can exploit it and vary my original plan for the interview?

Yes I guess soz just trying to make u feel better.  :P But I highly recommend that you show these as well tho! I mean, it shows ur passion for science regardless of failure or success!

Galacticguard98

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1281 on: July 30, 2019, 09:37:58 pm »
You can do it!! You have gotten so far. For me I realise JMSS wasn’t for me after the depression and I’m happy in my new school

mehr667

• Forum Regular
  • monash gang wya
« Reply #1282 on: July 30, 2019, 09:49:45 pm »
wow i havent logged in ages and the forum is exploding!
my interview is on the 13th which means i have agggesss to prepare so i will definitely utilise that time to get my papers in order

yeah mines on 13th

hey do you know when yours is i have it on the same day and mines 9:43 am

i would say hell yeah why not go for it anything that shows ur passion, just bring it. im gonna be brining any sort of certificates i can find no matter how loosely they relate lol

Rohan1176

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1283 on: July 30, 2019, 11:16:43 pm »
I got into the interviews and while I prepared for the exams, I kinda neglected the interviews cause I totally forgot about them. I don't really see this question getting asked but what would you wear to your interview? School uniform or if it's casual dress, would you just wear whatever you want(like a hoodie) or would you wear a shirt and tie and look smart?
Ps. My interview is on the 9th of August at 2:57 PM. Absolutely no time to prepare at all.

Rohan1176

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1284 on: July 30, 2019, 11:28:51 pm »
In the email regarding the interviews, it says the process is around 40 minutes long. Are we going to get interviewed separately for 10 minutes and then put in a group with other students for half an hour? Or do we get questioned for a whole 40 minutes? Sorry, I'm completely new to the interview process.

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
« Reply #1285 on: July 30, 2019, 11:30:59 pm »
I got into the interviews and while I prepared for the exams, I kinda neglected the interviews cause I totally forgot about them. I don't really see this question getting asked but what would you wear to your interview? School uniform or if it's casual dress, would you just wear whatever you want(like a hoodie) or would you wear a shirt and tie and look smart?
Ps. My interview is on the 9th of August at 2:57 PM. Absolutely no time to prepare at all.

Yeh honestly, would recommend school uniform because it shows the school you are from and it just seems neat i guess. Not sure, sorry. Probably wouldn't recommend anything tooo casual cuz you know, you wanna appear like you actually care. Semi formal should be fine i think. Idk, it probably doesn't even matter, but just in case.

I don\'t know

• Adventurer
  • n
« Reply #1286 on: July 30, 2019, 11:38:27 pm »
Omg I have a pretty bad report. I got 6 months below for visual arts, visual communication, sport and 'social capabilities.' I'm screwedddddd. I'm actually mad at my school for grading our social capabilities. I talk to people outside, not during class, so how do they know my 'social capabilities'. I don't really have that many friends either in my class even though i try to talk to people, but yah, people in my school are pretty rude and shitty.  seriously wasn't the best at sport so yeh. I tried my best for visual arts but it's not my fault I can't draw that well. I completed all the written components but received a 6 month below.. i'm scared I don't wanna fail.
Jmss seems to be very interested in those that are very sociable and outgoing.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I'm the complete opposite of this, fuck me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:44:52 pm by I don\'t know »

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1287 on: July 31, 2019, 09:00:04 am »
+1

Good luck guys!!
Now I know what to prepare. Thank you to Mars and back!
Yeh honestly, would recommend school uniform because it shows the school you are from and it just seems neat i guess. Not sure, sorry. Probably wouldn't recommend anything tooo casual cuz you know, you wanna appear like you actually care. Semi formal should be fine i think. Idk, it probably doesn't even matter, but just in case.
So I’ll wear the full uniform from my current school? Or wear a NASA shirt to show passion in science?
Omg I have a pretty bad report. I got 6 months below for visual arts, visual communication, sport and 'social capabilities.' I'm screwedddddd. I'm actually mad at my school for grading our social capabilities. I talk to people outside, not during class, so how do they know my 'social capabilities'. I don't really have that many friends either in my class even though i try to talk to people, but yah, people in my school are pretty rude and shitty.  seriously wasn't the best at sport so yeh. I tried my best for visual arts but it's not my fault I can't draw that well. I completed all the written components but received a 6 month below.. i'm scared I don't wanna fail.
Jmss seems to be very interested in those that are very sociable and outgoing.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I'm the complete opposite of this, fuck me.
Rip
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:08:15 am by SynX »

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1288 on: July 31, 2019, 12:53:01 pm »
Quick question:
For the  interview,  do we need to bring like pencils and stuff, or like will they supply all that is needed. One more thing, was there like a creativity test, like giving u an object or something. (Now I know that all the details can't disclosed, but it would be GREAT  ;D, if anyone can tell me what they are looking overall, academically at least).

Cylo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1289 on: July 31, 2019, 01:03:56 pm »
Ooo we’re getting interviewed on the same day  ;D .
Don’t stress about your exams, everyone has off days. From what I’ve read JMSS isn’t just interested in achievements in science so maybe talk about your achievements in other extracurricular activities.
Best of luck  :D
Thanks! Hope to see you there!