Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:45:15 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 378400 times)  Share 

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #855 on: September 04, 2018, 07:52:11 pm »
Yeah there were people in my cohort that came from Point Cook, get up at 4am and get home at 8pm, I don't know if I should admire their dedication or pity their stupidity, I wouldn't do it.

I do agree with you that ***IN GENERAL*** that a competitive environment can be good but my 3 years at JMSS tells me otherwise. I hope you are picking EBSS, its got to be better than JMSS ( only joking ... not joking hahaha )

Yes im choosing EBSS. i never intended to go JMSS in the first place because its so fking far.

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #856 on: September 04, 2018, 08:06:42 pm »
Lmao my cohort is definitely not above average. (I'm in year 10 rn, EBSS next year)

I hope your cohort is not reading this right now LOL

But let's proceed, i think we can agree that your success is dependent on how motivated and happy you are. I mean how is that some schools like MHS and macrob have so many students that get such high marks? It's really obvious isn't it? It isn't because of the teachers, it's because they all motivate eachother. I reckon that there could be a lot of gain in leaving but that's just my opinion.

MHS gets high marks because there are no girls there and ditto for McRob ( well no boys you know what I mean ... )

Jokes aside yeah you are right.

Mind you when I left MHS after year 9 and went to JMSS for year 10, the average intelligence of both school went up 100% ...

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #857 on: September 04, 2018, 08:12:15 pm »
I hope your cohort is not reading this right now LOL

MHS gets high marks because there are no girls there and ditto for McRob ( well no boys you know what I mean ... )

Jokes aside yeah you are right.

Mind you when I left MHS after year 9 and went to JMSS for year 10, the average intelligence of both school went up 100% ...

Why'd you leave MHS? The school is so good in comparison (facilities-wise) to JMSS im not even going to joke.

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #858 on: September 04, 2018, 08:34:45 pm »
Regarding the tutoring, it really depends. I personally didn't do James Ann tutoring or anything that trained you for the JMSS exam. You should be fine if you just self-study, but I would also recommend doing practice exams and writing short essays under timed conditions. James Ann pretty much just trains you work fast under time and the work they give you is way beyond the level of difficulty of the real exams.

mi-xao gave a good overview of the 5 exams, but I'll add on. I would recommend focusing on numerical reasoning and mathematics (the other 3 don't require a lot of prior knowledge). I mainly remember these topics from the maths test:
• Quadratics
• Factorising
• Expanding
• Null factor law
• Algebra
• Pythagoras
• SOH, CAH, TOA
• Indices

Numerical Reasoning: Know how to do patterns, algebra, sequences, ratios.
Science Reasoning: Think logically and know how to read graphs. You seriously don't need to have a lot of prior knowledge to do well for this test.

Hi, what do I need to know to study for year 11 entrance exam for 2020
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #859 on: September 04, 2018, 08:37:22 pm »
Why'd you leave MHS? The school is so good in comparison (facilities-wise) to JMSS im not even going to joke.

I didn't like my year 9 cohort at MHS. There were a group of us used to catch the train together, and then one day one of them bet the others that he could get the phone number off a random girl from a random girl school on the train, to cut a long story short, it became a daily competition between the whole group, then they even started secretly filming the whole thing and putting it on facebook. I didn't want to associate with people like that so I left. The funny thing was, the main offender from the group, let's call him Sey, he left MHS and went to JMSS as well. Luckily we didn't travel the same way and he was too busy building his harem at JMSS so I managed to avoid him. Thank god for that. MHS is quite a good school but I find a lot of the students ( in my year ) were quite arrogant because they think they are better than everyone else. Maybe I was just bad at picking friends.

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #860 on: September 04, 2018, 08:38:26 pm »
Oi if there anyone wants advice for next year's tryout, add me on discord "paulthekiller123#4251". Im making a server so i can help you guys out

Galacticguard98

• Forum Regular
« Reply #861 on: September 04, 2018, 08:39:02 pm »
What’s the liklihood of getting a second round offer for JMS?

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #862 on: September 04, 2018, 08:43:17 pm »
I didn't like my year 9 cohort at MHS. There were a group of us used to catch the train together, and then one day one of them bet the others that he could get the phone number off a random girl from a random girl school on the train, to cut a long story short, it became a daily competition between the whole group, then they even started secretly filming the whole thing and putting it on facebook. I didn't want to associate with people like that so I left. The funny thing was, the main offender from the group, let's call him Sey, he left MHS and went to JMSS as well. Luckily we didn't travel the same way and he was too busy building his harem at JMSS so I managed to avoid him. Thank god for that. MHS is quite a good school but I find a lot of the students ( in my year ) were quite arrogant because they think they are better than everyone else. Maybe I was just bad at picking friends.

It's probably that lmao. Humorous story though
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:46:57 pm by paulthekiller123 »

Herman

• Forum Regular
« Reply #863 on: September 04, 2018, 09:03:27 pm »
Anyone that is at Uni in this forum,

Is undertaking literature as an elective beneficial for the ATAR

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #864 on: September 04, 2018, 09:46:21 pm »
Anyone that is at Uni in this forum,

Is undertaking literature as an elective beneficial for the ATAR

You can't be serious. Are you taking Lit just because it scales up?

KRAZR

• Trailblazer
« Reply #865 on: September 04, 2018, 09:47:13 pm »
Guys what do you mean by "rejection email"? is that the same as second round email or does it just say you failed?

Galacticguard98

• Forum Regular
« Reply #866 on: September 04, 2018, 09:48:05 pm »
It says we are unable to offer you a first round offer and after September 10th there is a very low chance of a second round

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #867 on: September 04, 2018, 09:51:39 pm »
You can't be serious. Are you taking Lit just because it scales up?

MISTAKE MISTAKE MISTAKE BIG BIG MISTAKE
2019 - JMSS
2020 - Mathematical Methods [  ] Biology [  ]

KRAZR

• Trailblazer
« Reply #868 on: September 04, 2018, 09:53:38 pm »
It says we are unable to offer you a first round offer and after September 10th there is a very low chance of a second round
is THAT the rejection email?

Herman

• Forum Regular
« Reply #869 on: September 04, 2018, 09:54:29 pm »
I didn’t choose Lit as a subject. I was wondering. Wait is choosing Lit a mistake