Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:20:29 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 378632 times)  Share 

Brazucareal

• Adventurer
  • Delightful
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #375 on: June 11, 2018, 10:47:27 am »
Did anyone guess at the end when time ran out
I actually didn't guess in the maths and numeric reasoning(very easy test!) as I finished it very quickly and had time to attempt all the question. To be honest, I finished the science just on time but I barely had time to go over  :-[ . The writing I did well since I used the scientific method and I tabulated my results in a graph and table. I also wrote the aim, hypothesis, apparatus, etc. <--- You were meant to write these although the test didn't tell you had to.
JMSS - 2021

Mr. Universe

• Forum Regular
  • 2019 JMSS
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #376 on: June 11, 2018, 10:51:11 am »
Please send link

I need to ask some questions about the exam I just took

What do you mean by link?

KRAZR

• Trailblazer
« Reply #377 on: June 11, 2018, 12:10:04 pm »
:-[ . The writing I did well since I used the scientific method and I tabulated my results in a graph and table. I also wrote the aim, hypothesis, apparatus, etc. <--- You were meant to write these although the test didn't tell you had to.
You weren't meant to write it like a prac report. It was a discussion essay about the prac. If we were meant to write a prac report then that would have been very useless, considering we didn't actually make the experiment, they already did it for us on the A4 sheet.

Brazucareal

• Adventurer
  • Delightful
« Reply #378 on: June 11, 2018, 12:47:23 pm »
You weren't meant to write it like a prac report. It was a discussion essay about the prac. If we were meant to write a prac report then that would have been very useless, considering we didn't actually make the experiment, they already did it for us on the A4 sheet.
I wrote down the prac report plus a discussion essay but now im scared I flopped the essay.
JMSS - 2021

Herman

• Forum Regular
« Reply #379 on: June 11, 2018, 01:09:26 pm »
No, we had to write a whole Prac report on that paper including the table and the results. They are going to mark how we structure our Prac essay. Doing Just the discussion questions was a bad idea.

_bxnourr

• Adventurer
« Reply #380 on: June 11, 2018, 01:31:59 pm »
I used scientific method, I did my aim, hypothesis and apparatus but I left my method to do last because all I had to do was just copy it off and  I wanted more time to do the results, discussion and conclusion so I left some space , but at the end I ran out of time and couldn't complete the method  :-[ 
So it sorta looked like this-

Aim-----
Hypothesis----
Apparatus----

My method was supposed to be here, so on the papaer it's just like a blank space

Results----
Discussion---
Conclusion----

suhdb

• Adventurer
« Reply #381 on: June 11, 2018, 02:13:01 pm »

i think you were supposed to do a prac because they asked us:
what we were doing
the variable
include a completed table
and then the discussion

well thats what i did 🤔
im always stressed

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #382 on: June 11, 2018, 02:28:30 pm »
Whoa whoa! Wwootttt?? Write the whole prac?? Ok, some of you are saying that you were meant to write the whole prac while some others say that you were meant to write the discussion prac. Got a few questions for you guys to answer.

1. Were you asked to answer several questions?
2. Was the hypothesis, aim and results provided?
3. Weren't you supposed to identify the variables (IV, DV and control variable) and write them on the discussion part only?

I sat the exam last year, so I feel that they would be the same, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:33:34 pm by mi-xao-14 »

Fish21

• Adventurer
« Reply #383 on: June 11, 2018, 02:46:12 pm »
I did the brainworks prep and bought strive for excellent practise tests. Honesty, most of the work given is far more difficult than what you will receive on the day. Going to a tutor is necessary unless you far behind. Self-study in conjunction with a tutor is a good method of preparation for people next year.

Fish21

• Adventurer
« Reply #384 on: June 11, 2018, 02:51:00 pm »
For the prac report, I did it in this order.
Aim
Hypothesis
Materials
Diagram
Method (past tense)
Discussion
Conclusion

Would I get extra marks from the aim, hypothesis and diagram because it doesn't instruct us?

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #385 on: June 11, 2018, 04:09:24 pm »
I did the brainworks prep and bought strive for excellent practise tests. Honesty, most of the work given is far more difficult than what you will receive on the day. Going to a tutor is necessary unless you far behind. Self-study in conjunction with a tutor is a good method of preparation for people next year.

You mean unnecessary, not necessary? That sounds pretty contradicting. :\

For the prac report, I did it in this order.
Aim
Hypothesis
Materials
Diagram
Method (past tense)
Discussion
Conclusion

Would I get extra marks from the aim, hypothesis and diagram because it doesn't instruct us?

When I did it last year, I only had to answer the questions with details just for the discussion part. I think it's good to draw diagram, though I'm not sure why it's essential to do it (heard that some people did it, so idk)

Mr. Universe

• Forum Regular
  • 2019 JMSS
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #386 on: June 11, 2018, 05:46:04 pm »
Just wanted to put it out there that I wrote an entire Prac report. I did this because the info sheet asked for us to fill in the table, which is not part of the discussion. Hence, alluding to the fact that an entire report had to be written. Tho I dunno if it was the right thing to do.
My Structure: (Prob not right LOL and my actual essay may have been slightly different)

1)Aim
2)Hypothesis
3)Listing Variables
4)Method - not inclusive of apparatus (I totally forgot to include that LOL)
5)Table/Results
6) Discussion - Bulk of the essay/report
7) Conclusion (Super short)

I think that was it.

Dinura

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #387 on: June 11, 2018, 06:37:56 pm »
Hey guys Im currently in year 12 at jmss so i know what you all are going through , I know the jmss exam was last saturday so hope everyone did well in it . If you have any questions regarding the interview stage or just jmss in general pm me but other than that all the best and hope yall get in .

SChMurpel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #388 on: June 11, 2018, 07:29:50 pm »
I actually didn't guess in the maths and numeric reasoning(very easy test!) as I finished it very quickly and had time to attempt all the question. To be honest, I finished the science just on time but I barely had time to go over  :-[ . The writing I did well since I used the scientific method and I tabulated my results in a graph and table. I also wrote the aim, hypothesis, apparatus, etc. <--- You were meant to write these although the test didn't tell you had to.
Ikr maths and numerical reasoning was much easier than I expected, to be honest felt they were too simple ;/  :o
2020 - Vietnamese SL (33) / R&S (37)
2021 - English / Chemistry / Methods / Spesh / Biology

ladan.shafane

• Adventurer
« Reply #389 on: June 12, 2018, 08:40:40 am »
I did the whole prac report but i feel like my structure was really messy and wasn't set out well enough. Did anyone else find the scientific reasoning exam to be pretty difficult? And did anyone finish all the questions for the maths exam?