Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:19:48 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 381344 times)  Share 

_bxnourr

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #345 on: June 09, 2018, 02:05:09 pm »
I JUST DID THE TEST
Hardest to easiest:
Science reasoning
Science prac
Science essay
Maths
Numerical
There were no questions in the science reasoning that i studied for.. all my science knowledge didn’t help..
For the prac, I ran out of time and couldn’t write how the experiment could be improved..
Maths was easy tbh way easier than selective entry. All we needed was a strong knowledge in year 9 concept.
HOW DID U GUYS GO??

Omg I AGREEEEE
I'm so scared you guys 😩😩😩😩 I really want to get in but now all I can think about is how I could have done better in the essays

SChMurpel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #346 on: June 09, 2018, 03:43:06 pm »
I JUST DID THE TEST
Hardest to easiest:
Science reasoning
Science prac
Science essay
Maths
Numerical
There were no questions in the science reasoning that i studied for.. all my science knowledge didn’t help..
For the prac, I ran out of time and couldn’t write how the experiment could be improved..
Maths was easy tbh way easier than selective entry. All we needed was a strong knowledge in year 9 concept.
HOW DID U GUYS GO??
I found numerical and maths so ezz..
Science I knew some of them (~70%)
Both of the writings I finished (but felt like I did bad on the 2nd one)
2020 - Vietnamese SL (33) / R&S (37)
2021 - English / Chemistry / Methods / Spesh / Biology

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #347 on: June 09, 2018, 04:13:01 pm »
Most of my friends found the science reasoning harder than numerical but I found numerical harder than science :0

Also, when would you be notified if you got an interview?

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #348 on: June 09, 2018, 04:34:11 pm »
+4
I think the row next to me was surnames starting with ‘N’ and I think there were about 8 Nguyen’s trying out.
YESSS ikr I saw that too and I'm like wth is there some kind of mistake
Most of my friends found the science reasoning harder than numerical but I found numerical harder than science :0

Also, when would you be notified if you got an interview?

I think late July/ early August
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:36:45 pm by Pary_N »
2019 - JMSS
2020 - Mathematical Methods [  ] Biology [  ]

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #349 on: June 09, 2018, 04:41:43 pm »
+1
difficulty level for me (easiest to hardest) :
Scientific Reasoning
Mathematics
Numerical Reasoning
Science Prac Thing
Science Essay

I personally think I could've correctly answered all the multiple choice questions, but because of time I had to guess a lot. Like A LOT
2019 - JMSS
2020 - Mathematical Methods [  ] Biology [  ]

Mr. Universe

• Forum Regular
  • 2019 JMSS
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #350 on: June 09, 2018, 04:57:39 pm »
+1
YESSS ikr I saw that too and I'm like wth is there some kind of mistake
I think late July/ early August

Why the Hate and dislikes on her message?

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
« Reply #351 on: June 09, 2018, 04:59:40 pm »
+1
Why the Hate and dislikes on her message?

Yeah I don't understand that either. Why was their comment downvoted?

NaCl_AU

• Trailblazer
« Reply #352 on: June 09, 2018, 05:05:07 pm »
+1
the downvotes were probably the 8 nguyens  ;)

Fish21

• Adventurer
« Reply #353 on: June 09, 2018, 05:47:11 pm »
+3
I did so well than expected. Thanks for all the help for the people have assisted me. Hope I see you all on orientation day.

thatonecoolhuman

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #354 on: June 09, 2018, 06:05:17 pm »
+2
i was actually so nervous for this test since i really wanted to get in- but woah, it wasn’t that bad. i expected it to be as hard as the yr 8 selective school exam. i legit didn’t even get to finish the mathematics part of it but this time i actually got to check over all my tessttts, it’s either i got hella smart ;)))) oR it became easier.

thanks y’all, i only made this account to say this and wanted to thank you all for helping me out with this discussion of yours (i was a ghost reader ;))))
hope we all become jmss kids yknow fam
im a cool boi 👉😎👉

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #355 on: June 09, 2018, 08:19:37 pm »
+1
Wow! Well done everyone who sat the exam, I hope those who studied onerously advance to the interviews. And for those who "wing" it, best of luck, you still have a chance.
Though I did not sit the exam, may I ask what type of topics were on the JMSS Mathematics part?
Thanks
Goal ATAR: 99.00<

S.Lachowski

• Adventurer
« Reply #356 on: June 09, 2018, 08:29:47 pm »
+1
difficulty level for me (easiest to hardest) :
Scientific Reasoning
Mathematics
Numerical Reasoning
Science Prac Thing
Science Essay

I personally think I could've correctly answered all the multiple choice questions, but because of time I had to guess a lot. Like A LOT

OMG same for me i had no time. but the essays were pretty easy

Brazucareal

• Adventurer
  • Delightful
« Reply #357 on: June 09, 2018, 09:00:34 pm »
+1
Good job on everyone who did the testA quick tip to other people doing the same test is that the science was no way like what you expect. It was mostly mathematical concepts applied in science and you needed only basic knowledge. I guess the front practice questions were like the questions i expected.
The maths and numeric reasoning was so easy that the 2008 practice papers had almost the same questions but with same answer. I aced Maths, science, numerical reasoning and even the first prac report. I had my doubts about the last science communication which was about VOC and NOx but i managed to cook up content.
 :D :D :D
A tip to other students is to complete the known problems first and do the harder ones later. I did this and surprisingly finished the test and had time to review over.
Apparently the interview is the hardest part and could I get tips from any of you on how to prepare and do it?

(p.s. I have followed this thread since January and I am now only adding to this thread)
JMSS - 2021

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
« Reply #358 on: June 09, 2018, 10:09:25 pm »
+1
Wow! Well done everyone who sat the exam, I hope those who studied onerously advance to the interviews. And for those who "wing" it, best of luck, you still have a chance.
Though I did not sit the exam, may I ask what type of topics were on the JMSS Mathematics part?
Thanks

The mathematics test didn't require a lot of knowledge of math topics. There was not a lot of quadratics involved (a bit of graphing and factorising), and that's basically the extent of it. There were a few questions about right angled trigonometry, a lot of basic algebraic manipulation (including factorising, expanding, and index laws). Quite a bit of linear, nothing on functions, a few geometry problems (e.g. finding the perimeter or angle), a bit of similar/ratios, and of course circle formulas. Some easy ones include finding the smallest or largest number of a list, or a calculation disguised as a worded problem. The things you got to have down is quick calculations and manipulation of algebraic equations. Maths test is speed speed speed.

Good job on everyone who did the testA quick tip to other people doing the same test is that the science was no way like what you expect. It was mostly mathematical concepts applied in science and you needed only basic knowledge. I guess the front practice questions were like the questions i expected.
The maths and numeric reasoning was so easy that the 2008 practice papers had almost the same questions but with same answer. I aced Maths, science, numerical reasoning and even the first prac report. I had my doubts about the last science communication which was about VOC and NOx but i managed to cook up content.
 :D :D :D
A tip to other students is to complete the known problems first and do the harder ones later. I did this and surprisingly finished the test and had time to review over.
Apparently the interview is the hardest part and could I get tips from any of you on how to prepare and do it?

(p.s. I have followed this thread since January and I am now only adding to this thread)

I also feel the interview is the hardest part, because the exam portion is simple, you either get above a certain cut off or don't, while it's vague what factors seperate those who pass the interview and those who don't.

NaCl_AU

• Trailblazer
« Reply #359 on: June 09, 2018, 10:57:47 pm »
for the interview you wanna be social, enthusiastic about going to JMSS, make friends on group projects etc. I've found in interviews try to imagine what the interviewer wants to see in a JMSS student and try to act that way (i know thats pretty much lying in its essence but you gotta do what you gotta do)

I've heard this from past students by the way
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:51:09 am by NaCl_AU »