Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:44:23 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 378608 times)  Share 

begirodos18

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2018, 10:56:24 am »
+1
Hey guys!
Do any of you guys know if there is log in the exam?

Thanks,
KN
My recommendation is to study for it anyways just to be safe. I don't personally recall any logs in the entrance exam however do expect to be some difficult and challenging questions towards the end of the test, which may touch on some topics in the yr10 or yr11 methods curriculum. However proficient knowledge of yr 9 and 10 maths should be enough to do well in the test providing you are able to work under pressure and answer as many questions as you can within the time limit. I hope this answers your question.

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2018, 02:40:19 pm »
+1
My recommendation is to study for it anyways just to be safe. I don't personally recall any logs in the entrance exam however do expect to be some difficult and challenging questions towards the end of the test, which may touch on some topics in the yr10 or yr11 methods curriculum. However proficient knowledge of yr 9 and 10 maths should be enough to do well in the test providing you are able to work under pressure and answer as many questions as you can within the time limit. I hope this answers your question.

I do agree with you that the Year 9s should study logs and all other topics that would unexpectedly appear in their exam paper. However, I don't recall doing any questions from Year 11 methods. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

begirodos18

• Forum Regular
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2018, 12:23:15 pm »
I do agree with you that the Year 9s should study logs and all other topics that would unexpectedly appear in their exam paper. However, I don't recall doing any questions from Year 11 methods. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not exactly sure if there was, there may have been a couple towards the end of the test. But they shouldn't be too difficult, if they do happen to cover methods topics it will probably just be topics covered in yr10, and if they did happen to have more advanced concepts in it, its multiple choice anyway so you can probably make some sense out of it using the answers. That being said as long as you can complete most of the questions you should be able to do well, since these tests aren't really meant to be finished.

Vin2003

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2018, 06:21:34 pm »
Hi,
I'm sitting for the JMSS test this year. Has anyone gone to 'Brainworks' for prep?
If so, is it good?
Does anyone know of any good tutoring centres?
Any advice/help is appreciated.
Thanks  :)

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2018, 01:16:39 am »
Hi,
I'm sitting for the JMSS test this year. Has anyone gone to 'Brainworks' for prep?
If so, is it good?
Does anyone know of any good tutoring centres?
Any advice/help is appreciated.
Hey, you honestly don't need tutoring to get into JMSS nor do you need to buy practice tests.

I would recommend that you work through textbook questions and improve your efficiency in timed conditions. Know how what methods to use for maths, know how to think logically for the 2 reasoning tests and know how to formulate ideas and structure them for the 2 writing components.
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2018, 10:02:57 am »
Hey, you honestly don't need tutoring to get into JMSS nor do you need to buy practice tests.

I would recommend that you work through textbook questions and improve your efficiency in timed conditions. Know how what methods to use for maths, know how to think logically for the 2 reasoning tests and know how to formulate ideas and structure them for the 2 writing components.
There's a slight problem with my school... We don't really have textbooks... So I legit have nothing to study off of...
2019 - JMSS
2020 - Mathematical Methods [  ] Biology [  ]

Arun1693

• Adventurer
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2018, 05:55:16 pm »
+1
There's a slight problem with my school... We don't really have textbooks... So I legit have nothing to study off of...
Hi, I have been using these textbooks from this website I have linked. They have free year 9, 10, 11, 12 maths and science textbooks.
You have to signup though, it's also free. They also have a practice tab, but you have to pay for that.
So sign up, log in and then find the textbook tab and they can be downloaded as a PDF. They are useful, but remember this is South African Syllabus, nevertheless reminiscent to our curriculum. Hope this is helpful.
Warm regards,
 Arun.
P.S Relax, you would feel much better and can prepare with ease...  :) ;D
Goodluck.
https://www.siyavula.com

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2018, 12:23:22 pm »
Hi, I have been using these textbooks from this website I have linked. They have free year 9, 10, 11, 12 maths and science textbooks.
You have to signup though, it's also free. They also have a practice tab, but you have to pay for that.
So sign up, log in and then find the textbook tab and they can be downloaded as a PDF. They are useful, but remember this is South African Syllabus, nevertheless reminiscent to our curriculum. Hope this is helpful.
Warm regards,
 Arun.
P.S Relax, you would feel much better and can prepare with ease...  :) ;D
Goodluck.
https://www.siyavula.com

Thanks heaps :)
2019 - JMSS
2020 - Mathematical Methods [  ] Biology [  ]

karanwins

• Trailblazer
« Reply #158 on: April 05, 2018, 02:52:13 pm »
Hey Guys,
Do any of you know the basic structure for the report (the one that was on Port Phillip bay's water contamination last year)?
I am learning to write the discussion but have no clue about the structure for the second one.

Best regards,
Karan

Appo

• Forum Regular
« Reply #159 on: April 05, 2018, 04:11:14 pm »
+1
Hey Guys,
Do any of you know the basic structure for the report (the one that was on Port Phillip bay's water contamination last year)?
I am learning to write the discussion but have no clue about the structure for the second one.

Best regards,
Karan
It's like a normal essay (structure may vary depending on topic question).

Introduction:
- state the issue
- signpost your body paragraphs
- address your standpoint on the issue

Optimally 3 Body Paragraphs:
- topic sentence which summarises your paragraph's contention and links it to the topic
- explanation of your argument/idea/whatever
- supporting evidence (from sources you already know or any information you're provided on the day)
- concluding sentence which wraps up paragraph's idea and links it back to the topic

Conclusion:
- summarise topic
- summarise your arguments/ideas
- strong concluding sentence to finish the report

You generally don't want to write in first person and want to stick to 3rd person in your writing.

SelectEntryTryHard

• Adventurer
« Reply #160 on: April 05, 2018, 04:44:24 pm »
I could send you some pdfs if you want, just pm me, I could even send you some chapters from Methods if you wish, that are related to what Shadestache has mentioned. ( You could also pm Shadestache for any maths you need assistance with as that person has always demonstrated an excellent proficiency in mathematics.) :)
can u please pm some to if you can thx.

Arun1693

• Adventurer
« Reply #161 on: April 05, 2018, 06:38:18 pm »
It's like a normal essay (structure may vary depending on topic question).

Introduction:
- state the issue
- signpost your body paragraphs
- address your standpoint on the issue

Optimally 3 Body Paragraphs:
- topic sentence which summarises your paragraph's contention and links it to the topic
- explanation of your argument/idea/whatever
- supporting evidence (from sources you already know or any information you're provided on the day)
- concluding sentence which wraps up paragraph's idea and links it back to the topic

Conclusion:
- summarise topic
- summarise your arguments/ideas
- strong concluding sentence to finish the report

You generally don't want to write in first person and want to stick to 3rd person in your writing.
Um is there a rebuttal paragraph, or is it inconsequential for this test?
Thanks

Appo

• Forum Regular
« Reply #162 on: April 05, 2018, 11:40:26 pm »
Um is there a rebuttal paragraph, or is it inconsequential for this test?
Thanks
Depends on your topic. The topic for the year I did it was all informative.

_bxnourr

• Adventurer
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2018, 09:57:27 am »
Hey guys im also trying out for jmss for year 10 next year and I’m just really scared , mostly the essays because I do not know what to expect  :-[, can anyone give me some ideas on what they think the essay topics may be about this year?
Or topics I should study?

karanwins

• Trailblazer
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2018, 12:47:06 pm »
Hey guys im also trying out for jmss for year 10 next year and I’m just really scared , mostly the essays because I do not know what to expect  :-[, can anyone give me some ideas on what they think the essay topics may be about this year?
Or topics I should study?

They're normally biology topics. Last year's was apparently Port Phillip bay's water contamination. That's for the report/informative and the other one is a discussion essay. You just need to know the stuff about the variables and other things. That's all I know but I think you should ask Shadestache or mi-xao or other more experienced people. Also for the informative one most of the info is given to you. Hope it helps, Karan  :) :D