Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:48:58 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 378456 times)  Share 

Appo

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2018, 07:48:58 pm »
+1
Does participation in icas science count?
Chuck it all in. It's not about performance all the time, even participation and involvement matters and they look for that.

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2018, 12:37:57 pm »
+2
Good luck everyone! JMSS is a good school  :)

I thought I might as well post since I started on AN before VCE as well.
Methods 1/2 (I believe that is on your test?) is actually quite doable. Here are some topics:
-functions and relations (learn the 4 steps to find an inverse function)
-linear relations (y=mx+c, gradient formula, distance between two points formula, midpoint formula, perpendicular formula)
-quadratics (factoring and graphing, solving)
-polynomials (factorising, graphing, solving)
-different graphs (rectangular hyperbola, truncus, sqrt(x), circles)
-probability
-matrices
-exponentials and logarithms
-circular functions (sin, cos, tan - exact values and graphing)
-calculus (just a general idea of integration and differentiation are)

I know the above list seems insane when you're in year 9. It's not. But don't feel to pressured to learn it all - just do it for interest.

For interviews and essays, just be confident, honest, and let your own identity show.

Don't fret if you don't get into JMSS. While it can help with VCE, it is not at all necessary to go to a good school. There are always students in really bad schools who get >99 ATARs and what not.

Enjoy high school, and again, best wishes with it.

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2018, 03:30:22 pm »
+1
HEEEELLLLOOOO GUYS!!!!!

For those who need to know JMSS' commencement date of the application, I just jumped on the school website, and here you go:

Ree94

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2018, 05:11:30 pm »
Hey everyone, thought I'd hop into the discussion as I am also trying out for Jmss this year.
I have a few questions,
1. What are you studying? Are you learning ALL the topics from year 8 am 9? Or just the basics? Which topics are they?
2. Are there any tips you could give me on studying for Jmss?
2. Would you know some good tutors that will help me with not only time management but also the questions?

Thanks,

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2018, 09:53:45 pm »
Hey everyone, thought I'd hop into the discussion as I am also trying out for Jmss this year.
I have a few questions,
1. What are you studying? Are you learning ALL the topics from year 8 am 9? Or just the basics? Which topics are they?
2. Are there any tips you could give me on studying for Jmss?
2. Would you know some good tutors that will help me with not only time management but also the questions?

Thanks,
Hoof, this is getting pretty repetitive.

1)
It's not necessary to have a lot of prior knowledge in science, but if you really want to, I'd recommend knowing your Year 8 and 9 Science. It shouldn't be anything incredibly difficult.

2)
• As a "tryhard", I over-prepared for the entrance exams and pretty much neglected a lot of things. I'd advise against that. I overestimated the difficulty of the test, so you seriously don't have to study an insane amount to get into the school.
• Know how to work efficiently under timed conditions.
• Know how to structure your essays.
• Do practice exams, preferably timed.

3)*
Ehh, you don't really need tutors to do well on the test. I mostly self-studied and only got feedback with essays. I haven't gone to JAC or Hendersons for JMSS preparation, but from what I've heard, they make the questions way harder than the actual exams and really only help with time management (I guess). Don't stress too much about tutors.

When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

Ree94

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2018, 07:12:40 pm »
Hoof, this is getting pretty repetitive.

1)
It's not necessary to have a lot of prior knowledge in science, but if you really want to, I'd recommend knowing your Year 8 and 9 Science. It shouldn't be anything incredibly difficult.

2)
• As a "tryhard", I over-prepared for the entrance exams and pretty much neglected a lot of things. I'd advise against that. I overestimated the difficulty of the test, so you seriously don't have to study an insane amount to get into the school.
• Know how to work efficiently under timed conditions.
• Know how to structure your essays.
• Do practice exams, preferably timed.

3)*
Ehh, you don't really need tutors to do well on the test. I mostly self-studied and only got feedback with essays. I haven't gone to JAC or Hendersons for JMSS preparation, but from what I've heard, they make the questions way harder than the actual exams and really only help with time management (I guess). Don't stress too much about tutors.
Great! Thank you for your help.
So, I just need to learn the year 8 and 9 basics for Science and Math.
I want to do toturing to help me with topics I struggle with. I already know the tutors that you mentioned, but I was hoping if someone knew of a one on one tutor that could help me with both my Science and Math.

yooyoyoyoyyyy

• Adventurer
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2018, 10:23:46 pm »
Guys, this is totally random hahahh.
Im a year 10 at jmss this year and reading the forum.
Lowkey wondering who you are at school, like I couldve talked to you guys.
Weirdest thought hahah.

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2018, 10:47:12 pm »
Guys, this is totally random hahahh.
Im a year 10 at jmss this year and reading the forum.
Lowkey wondering who you are at school, like I couldve talked to you guys.
Weirdest thought hahah.
Hey, I sent you a private message

Mr. Universe

• Forum Regular
  • 2019 JMSS
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2018, 03:23:25 pm »
Hey Guys! I've been following the JMSS 2018 forum and I recently stumbled upon this. I've got to say that Shadestache and the others are very helpful, just reading the posts helped me out a lot. I'm in Yr 9 this year so I'll be sitting the exam this June.

I just have one question, will certain parts of the test be short answer or are all of the multiple choice? Thanks in Advance!
Looking forward to meeting you guys at JMSS in 2019 (If I hopefully make it in  :) )
-P.S. This is my first post on ATAR Notes.

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2018, 04:19:41 pm »
Hey Guys! I've been following the JMSS 2018 forum and I recently stumbled upon this. I've got to say that Shadestache and the others are very helpful, just reading the posts helped me out a lot. I'm in Yr 9 this year so I'll be sitting the exam this June.

I just have one question, will certain parts of the test be short answer or are all of the multiple choice? Thanks in Advance!
Looking forward to meeting you guys at JMSS in 2019 (If I hopefully make it in  :) )
-P.S. This is my first post on ATAR Notes.
Hey, welcome to AN XD. We were all in the same shoes a year ago (nostalgic feeling). Good luck with your entrance exam.

All of the tests are multiple choice, except for the essays (obviously).

Mr. Universe

• Forum Regular
  • 2019 JMSS
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2018, 05:47:10 pm »
Hey, welcome to AN XD. We were all in the same shoes a year ago (nostalgic feeling). Good luck with your entrance exam.

All of the tests are multiple choice, except for the essays (obviously).

Thanks! Great combo of username and profile pic.  ;D

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2018, 07:50:49 pm »
Thanks! Great combo of username and profile pic.  ;D
:PP I try

Anyways if you (or anyone else) have any questions, you can send me a pm or post on this thread.

LolYi

• Trailblazer
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2018, 11:49:31 am »
Personally, I'd recommend the practice test pack from strive for excellence. I found them helpful, but a little bit pricey though. Read more articles, especially if they're about pollutions. Last year the topic was about water contamination, and the year before that was coral bleaching. Pollution is the trend; their essay topics always relate to it, so read as much article about pollution as possible, because they will be accommodating.

Mr. Universe

• Forum Regular
  • 2019 JMSS
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2018, 08:07:01 pm »
Personally, I'd recommend the practice test pack from strive for excellence. I found them helpful, but a little bit pricey though. Read more articles, especially if they're about pollutions. Last year the topic was about water contamination, and the year before that was coral bleaching. Pollution is the trend; their essay topics always relate to it, so read as much article about pollution as possible, because they will be accommodating.

Is the difficulty in the Strive for Excellence Practice exam around the same and how similar did you find it to the actual test?

LolYi

• Trailblazer
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2018, 01:37:49 pm »
Is the difficulty in the Strive for Excellence Practice exam around the same and how similar did you find it to the actual test?
They both were kinda easy for me, but should be around the same