Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:07:33 pm

Author Topic: 3&4 Lit without 1&2?  (Read 3583 times)  Share 

laurendenman

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
3&4 Lit without 1&2?
« on: November 12, 2020, 09:02:49 pm »
Hey,

So I'm in year 10 at the moment, and I chose English 1&2, however I was thinking if I do well in that class in Year 11 I might do English Lit next year.

I just want to know if there is anybody who has done English Lit 3&4 without doing 1&2 and how they found it, and if you guys would recommend/not recommend it.

The only thing I'm really worried about is if they teach any skills/formatting in 1&2.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 03:12:04 pm by laurendenman »

charlotteyoung

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: 3&4 Lit without 1&2?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 03:28:46 pm »
+1
Hey! I'm currently a 3/4 Lit student however I did do the 1/2 so take my perspective w a grain of salt; but I would highly recommend if you are already even thinking of switching to doing lit - do Lit 1/2. It really helps with developing particular essay writing and vocab skills that are pretty niche (like you were saying).  If you're still on the fence, I would talk to your english/lit teachers, careers advisor or even other girls who have taken both subjects. :) hope this helps and feel free to reach out to message me if you wanna chat further!

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: 3&4 Lit without 1&2?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 06:40:36 pm »
+1
Hi Lauren!

I did Literature 3/4 without 1/2. Someone who has done 1/2 would give you a better idea of what you might miss out on, but from my perspective, I would recommend doing 1/2 if you can.

The main thing to realise is that English and Lit are two very different subjects - different criteria, different writing style, different approaches etc. In that sense, doing Lit 1/2 would be a huge advantage. English is essentially a continuation of all the English you've done at school from year 7 to year 10, but Lit is incredibly different and having one extra year of practising 'literature-style' writing would definitely help you feel more comfortable in the subject.

That said, we were taught all the necessary things around formatting, close analysis, essay structures etc in 3/4 so you definitely won't be miles behind if you jumped into 3/4 without 1/2! However I'd still recommend doing 1/2 because you would be getting that extra time needed to refine your writing.

The most important thing is - you should check with your school to see if they allow students to do 3/4 Lit without 1/2. A lot of schools don't (unless under exceptional circumstances) so if you haven't already, definitely get that confirmed.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU