Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 10:44:13 pm

Author Topic: vtac preferences question  (Read 562 times)  Share 

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
vtac preferences question
« on: April 25, 2020, 01:39:33 pm »
hello everyone!

i have a question that i have been thinking about for a while but have never asked. to preface, i don't know what i want to do at uni and i am in year 11 so i have a bit of time.

i don't know if i want to do medicine (at monash). i want to do the UCAT and see if i can get in but if i get in i don't know if i want to do it.

lets say i put monash med as my first preference and maybe a bachelor of science as my second preference. am i able to choose the bachelor of science for my course even if i get into monash med?

thanks all!

eloise :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: vtac preferences question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 01:48:35 pm »
+5
Per round you'll only get 1 offer at most and that will be the highest preference you've been offered. You could get offers from every single preference but only the highest one will be offered to you.

In your situation (to illustrate what happens), if you got both med and sci, you'd only be offered med in round 1 because science would be lower in your preference list.

You would have to then accept your first round offer and hope you get sci 2nd round if science was the one you really wanted. In the case of your med vs. science scenario, I think your view of med first and science 2nd is probably the wiser choice.

This is why it is really important that the preferences are ordered correctly based on your desire for specific courses and not based on ability to get in etc. because these choices can have an impact on what you get offered, keeping in mind most offers happen in round 1. In addition, most courses have caps / limits and if all places are filled after round 1 (really depends on the course) then you may run into a situation where the course is full and you won't be offered a place in round 2.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 01:55:23 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile