Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:04:33 pm

Author Topic: Improving my willingess to learn  (Read 501 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Improving my willingess to learn
« on: May 07, 2019, 05:53:57 pm »
I can't say I regret the subjects I chose. But it's hard to find anything interesting about any of them at the moment. We all know we come to school to learn, but it's got to a point where I just want class to end. Learning can be fun and satisfying - I know. But I also know there will be dull moments. How do I get through those? Because like many others (supposedly), I like certain parts of my subjects, not necessarily all or even two-thirds of the course.

Biology, Chemistry and Methods - I'm looking right at you.

How can I actually look forward to studying/learning, especially when said study and learning is on a dull and dry topic?

P.S. Mods, I apologise for the topic spam. I just have so many questions popping up in my brain on a daily basis and I can't help but ask them!

EDIT: Also, how can I be more receptive and attentive to learning new things at school?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:13:53 pm by JR_StudyEd »
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Improving my willingess to learn
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 03:46:05 pm »
+2
Interesting question, not sure I have the answers. I listened to a podcast a while ago where they were discussing a similar topic (can't for the life of me remember what series this was), and somebody made an interesting point that if you actively try to be curious about everything, that goes a long way to almost tricking yourself that what you're studying is interesting. Haha.

Otherwise, maybe it's time to mix it up a bit in terms of how you're studying. Is your go-to method usually the same for each subject at the moment? Notes, practice questions - that kinda deal?

P.S. Totally fine - keep creating threads!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Re: Improving my willingess to learn
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 02:01:07 pm »
Interesting question, not sure I have the answers. I listened to a podcast a while ago where they were discussing a similar topic (can't for the life of me remember what series this was), and somebody made an interesting point that if you actively try to be curious about everything, that goes a long way to almost tricking yourself that what you're studying is interesting. Haha.

Otherwise, maybe it's time to mix it up a bit in terms of how you're studying. Is your go-to method usually the same for each subject at the moment? Notes, practice questions - that kinda deal?

For me, clearly, attempting to be "curious" about everything I learn at school won't be very effective. Yes, I do know that there's a lot to learn and that some areas of the course will spark absolutely no interest in me, so what can I do about that? Pretend to be interested? Surely that doesn't have the same effect? Such is life.  :-\

Does effective study mean sacrificing the 'engaging' and 'exciting' aspect of it? I mean, is it better to be engaged in what I'm studying or study effectively? Because yeah look, practice questions are an effective way to study - no doubt about that. But is it exciting and will it bring me out of the slump of boredom?  ??? Is there a way to study that is both engaging and effective?

Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.