Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:39:29 pm

Author Topic: Locus  (Read 581 times)  Share 

yuri42piano

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Locus
« on: January 12, 2019, 09:30:41 pm »
Please help me solve these quesitons on locus:

1. A point P(x,y) moves so that its distance from (3,4) is proportional to its distance from (-1,2). Find the equation of the locus of P if the origin is a point on the locus.

2. A is a point where the circle with equation x^2+y^2=16 cuts the x-axis. Find the locus of the midpoints of all chords of this circle that contain A.

3. Find the equation of th elocus of the midpoints of all chords of length 4 units of the circle with equation x^2+y^2-4x+2y=4.

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: Locus
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 05:04:23 pm »
+6
Just a note, you should really be providing working out (anything that you've done at all!) so we can help you better! I'm not gonna give a full answer just yet (I used to do that but it doesn't really help you learn), but feel free to enquire further! :)

For Q1, note that from Pythagoras' Theorem the distance from (-1, 2) to the origin is the square root of 5 and similarly the distance from (3, 4) to the origin is 5. Then, using two distance formulae and equating, let the distance from (-1, 2) to the point P(x, y) be d and the distance from (3, 4) to P(x, y) be root 5 x d. Then, for distance d, the distance from (-1, 2) x square root of 5 = distance from (3, 4) for any point P(x, y) on the locus. See how you go from there.

For Q2, I haven't actually found a 'proper' 2U method of doing this. (Someone please give a proper answer w/ working out, help me out here! :) ) I guess I'll give the answer for this one because I did this one on intuition. Basically A is the point (4, 0) or (-4, 0). Also, these points themselves have to lie on the locus (chords from A to A 'count'). Also, the origin is on the locus as well, drawing from (4, 0) to (-4, 0). Drawing to both A's from (0, 4) and (0, -4) makes two diamond shapes and at this point most people think what the hell is this locus???? Draw a few more chords and you'll start to see it, or if it already made sense, there's nothing else it can possible be except two circles (mainly because of the way the circle is shaped (ask me more if you dont get it.)) Basically it's two circles radius 2 with their centres at (-2, 0) and (2, 0), side by side.

For Q3, intuitively it's just another circle. What you actually have to do is find the radius of the circle, since the centre of the circle will be the same. So for this one, I suggest completing the square to find the centre, then considering in one case where the midpoint of the chord is in relation to the centre of the circle, I think you should be able to find the radius.

Hope this helped! :)

Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

yuri42piano

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Locus
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 11:30:43 pm »
Thank you for the first question that helped a lot! I didn't have any working out at all because I was stuck on the word 'proportional' with no ratio given - completely ignoring the rest of the question that the locus includes the origin 😂

For the next two questions though, I still don't quite get it.. I wanted to try and solve it algebraically somehow - I think I understand better this way - which isn't really working out hahah please let me know if you figure out the 2 unit way.

Really appreciate your help :)