Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:10 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced: Module A Thesis Statement  (Read 13415 times)

demi.goddard

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
English Advanced: Module A Thesis Statement
« on: May 23, 2019, 11:00:50 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

So I have an in-class essay next week for 'Hag-seed' and 'The Tempest' and am struggling writing my thesis statement. The question we have to answer is:
"In what ways has Atwood reimagined The Tempest to suit contemporary audiences whilst still mirroring details portrayed in the original play?"

My thesis statement so far is:
"Atwood has appropriated ‘The Tempest’ to demonstrate to her modern audience the power of literature in establishing intertextual relationships which serve to answer questions and tease out complexities, whilst simultaneously making classic literature more accessible . ‘Hag-Seed’ does not rewrite but instead broadens the world, themes and inner lives of the Bard’s characters by reading between the lines of the play and subsequently adjusting and modernising the base plot."

I think it is too long but I am not sure what exactly i should be including and how much detail to put into my statement. For reference this is what we have been told to do:
●   Discuss the ways in which ‘Hag-Seed’ mirrors, aligns or collides with ‘The Tempest’.
●   Analyse how the common or disparate issues, values, assumptions or perspectives in ‘Hag-Seed’ are depicted.
●   Discuss how Atwood’s novel shapes your understanding of ‘The Tempest’ by questioning the play and exploring the play’s complexities.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to craft a solid thesis statement!!

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
Re: English Advanced: Module A Thesis Statement
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 11:43:09 am »

"Atwood has appropriated ‘The Tempest’ to demonstrate to her modern audience the power of literature in establishing intertextual relationships which serve to answer questions and tease out complexities, whilst simultaneously making classic literature more accessible . ‘Hag-Seed’ does not rewrite but instead broadens the world, themes and inner lives of the Bard’s characters by reading between the lines of the play and subsequently adjusting and modernising the base plot."

Hi!
I have recently done a task like this in class, and we were told to keep out thesis short (1 sentence) but broad enough, so that you can continually relate your thesis to different ideas throughout the essay.

With this in mind, I would probably rewrite your thesis to say something like:
"Atwood's appropriation of The Tempest develops clever intertextual relationships through which her contemporary audience can use her expressed perspectives to explore the relevance of classic literature to modern society, whilst deepening their understanding of the complexities of the play."

This isn't perfect but I hope it gives you a bit of direction towards developing a really strong thesis!
 :)

Ps. I'm not sure what you mean by the 'Bard's Characters' ...

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 11:54:45 am »
+1
Welcome to the forums Demi! :)

I think this is a really good Thesis paragraph! As Megan has said, the Thesis itself is normally a sentence or two but the intro paragraph should be lengthy. So, I wouldn't say it is too long - A solid Thesis paragraph is really important, so spending ~70 words on it is definitely valid. The only thing I'd recommend is a bit of a structural change. This is generally how I set up my Thesis statements:

- A general statement(s) linking the question and the module. In yours, you'll talk about how ideas need to be represented differently to different audiences, how this is affected by context, and how considering texts in tandem allows new understandings.
- Link this to your text: Atwood has appropriated ideas in the Tempest for a contemporary audience so they can be more impactful. Basically what you've done in your Thesis here.
- Establish your paragraph topics; this provides the reader a sense of direction and scope.
- A quick concluding sentence.

For me this was normally just over 100 words - You've got most of the pieces, I'd just like to see some of the ideas you've presented to be presented generally first. The ideas should stand by themselves, with the texts as evidence, rather than the ideas relying on the texts directly if that makes sense? :)

jelena_nina2001

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 12:01:23 pm »
Hey, guys.
Tell me where you can buy a good essay? I'd appreciate it

heyy there!
personally ihave no idea but what i do know is that NESA is making essay questions that can't be moulded to pre-prepared essays so basically i'd suggest writing your own essays and getting teacher's feedback, so as to improve your OWN idea and make it one you understand bout the topic,not someone else's. Sorry if i sound harsh, i am just trying to help  :)

Drop into my pm if you would like help with anything!

Jelena_nin2001