Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:19:25 pm

Author Topic: Is it worth getting ahead during summer holidays??  (Read 1769 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Is it worth getting ahead during summer holidays??
« on: November 17, 2019, 08:36:16 am »
Is it worth completing all textbook questions, making summaries and flashcards over the summer holidays?
For maths in particular, if not completing all questions what would you recommend doing to get ahead??
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

sk2000

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +22
Re: Is it worth getting ahead during summer holidays??
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 01:49:06 pm »
+3
Is it worth completing all textbook questions, making summaries and flashcards over the summer holidays?
For maths in particular, if not completing all questions what would you recommend doing to get ahead??

You should definitely do some work over the holidays but only to a certain extent I'd say. You should be a few weeks/1 topic ahead in all your subjects by the start of term 1. Useless to be further than that imo.

I made a ton of notes for the first two topics of all my subjects and did the chapter questions for these topics. I also prioritised Italian in the summer holidays which allowed me to go from a D+ student in Year 11 to the top of my class - shows how summer holiday studying can allow you to get an advantage over your classmates. I don't think you should go further than that because you'll burn yourself out before school even starts which is NOT what you want to do. So yeah spend time preparing and getting ahead but rest is also a major priority.

English on the other hand - everyone is different. You can read all the texts and make notes on everything before school starts however I find this pointless. I read the texts and made notes in the holidays before the term in which we studied the text and still got an A+ on all my english sacs. So not necessary to read every text before the school year begins unless you want to.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:54:45 pm by sk2000 »
2019: English [43], Chemistry [44], Italian [44], Business Management [41], Methods [37]
ATAR: 97.65

2020: Bachelor of Science (Chemical Systems) @ UniMelb
2023: Masters of Engineering @ UniMelb

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Is it worth getting ahead during summer holidays??
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 01:57:37 pm »
+3

Yes, I think it is definitely worth doing something during the holidays but I will say that it is definitely not 100% necessary to do so - you can still do well if you don't do anything so don't feel that there is pressure to do everything.

For maths, I think it would probably be the simplest to independently study since you can just read the textbook and watch videos online to learn and then complete the exercises following that.

Ultimately, I think having an in-depth understanding of a small part of the study design will be better than having a superficial understanding of the whole thing so I wouldn't be rushing for the sake of completing the course during the holidays.