Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:53:19 am

Author Topic: why choose Melbourne over Monash?  (Read 1918 times)  Share 

mozart

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • laugh
  • Respect: 0
why choose Melbourne over Monash?
« on: January 11, 2008, 06:48:58 pm »
don't they teach the same concepts and facts in both universities, if not all the universities. I mean if they teach different information, how could this system be consistant with the way the engineers operate.
btw if you study at Melbourne Uni does that make you more employable?

but i got to agree that the building of Mel Uni are quite something  :D
2008- hoPing for
legal studies- 39+raw
2009-hoPing for
methods- 35+raw
Physics- 35+ raw
chemistry- 35+raw
english- 37+raw
viss comm & design- 44+raw

overal Enter minimum: over 83

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: why choose Melbourne over Monash?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 07:10:31 pm »
They won't have the exact same course. For courses with professional accreditation (just means endorsement from some institution), there is probably a large amount of common ground (like CA and CPA with the Accounting profession). However, there are stark difference in some courses, the most outstanding example would be IT, where Monash is clearly better than Melbourne University. It has a modern and less outdated approach to the subject, and it helps to tackle the skill mismatch between IT employers and IT graduates, while Melbourne is lagging behind.

So, as I have alluded to, there are also slight differences in teaching philosophy and style. Some have said that Melbourne is more theoretical than Monash for Engineering or Science, and the list goes on...

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:04:21 pm »
I mean if they teach different information, how could this system be consistant with the way the engineers operate.
no, you are still going to know what you will be required to know, you are going to cover the necessary topics, that is the industry requirements, just that the different unis go about teaching differently...
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

vce_2007

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:34:04 pm »
i would choose melbourne over monash because for me its closer :D (its got pretty buildings too ROFLMAO)

on a more serious note, to me, both uni's are great, but in some aspects melbourne seems more prestigious which appeals to me

ive heard many stories of how SOMETIMES employers only consider applicants for certain jobs from monash and melb only

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 12:41:23 am »
It is a nice environment, it's very pretty and well connected by public transport (not that Monash is impossible to get to, but it takes quite awhile for people on my side of Melbourne). A degree from Melbourne does tend to be slightly more respected, but I don't think that's really all that significant in many degree programs. When I was there last year (not very much) I kind of got the vibe that many people were a wee bit pretentious but I guess I'm not really used to pretension, and I could have just been confusing it with "intimidatingly smart". Altogether people were nice (some introduced themselves to me in lectures, even though I usually had my uniform on). I can't speak for the atmosphere at Monash though.

hellomotto

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 06:57:32 pm »

Reputation, Ranking and Location

Though with the introduction of the Melbourne Model people seem to have shifted towards Monash, particularly those seeking to do Law, so we'll see how the stats look afterwards.

It really sucks being part of the year level that has to be the "guinea pigs" of the new model.

I'm all for broadening the scope of one's degree but the range of breadth subjects available at Melbourne seem to suck.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 07:08:55 pm »
I'm all for choice ... if you know exactly where you're going - why waste 3 years in a generalist bachelor's degree? That said, if you haven't found your direction by all means do a generalist course (with breadth).
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Sealock

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 01:16:37 am »
clayton is a shithole.

case closed.

kido_1

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 07:51:30 am »
I would choose monash over melb,because monash is the only one that offers med..
oping for an ENTER of 99+