Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:21:01 pm

Author Topic: Is it bad that we have AFL games on good friday?  (Read 1428 times)  Share 

tocoolforschool

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Is it bad that we have AFL games on good friday?
« on: April 19, 2019, 09:59:16 pm »
+1
Or do anything that may be disrespectful to the holiday?
It is meant to be a sacred day...Would love to know others opinions.
I may not be the strongest. I may not be the smartest. But I'm damn well going to try my hardest.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Is it bad that we have AFL games on good friday?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 10:11:16 pm »
+5
Not everybody celebrates Easter or Good Friday. I would think the vast majority of people don't mind either way.

With any decision you're always going to get people who dislike it and those that do.... can never please everybody.

I personally am not religious but one side of my family is so I am respectful and follow it as well.

Tbh this year I wish it wasn't on cos my kangas got absolutely torn to shreds today lol..

I would just say - if you don't like the idea, don't go to it or watch it. The great thing about our life is we can choose / view / do what we want and when.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:14:42 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 10:40:28 pm »
Or do anything that may be disrespectful to the holiday?
It is meant to be a sacred day...Would love to know others opinions.
Anything that is disrespectful to this holiday (or any other holiday for that matter) should obviously be condemned.

What aspects of the AFL do you think are disrespectful towards Good Friday? I haven't watched any afl coverage today so am not really too aware of anything right now.

As an example, let's just pretend that no AFL games (or any other sport) may be played on Good Friday - would you support this principal to be applied for every religion and every religious holiday?

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 11:10:07 pm »
+2
I get where your coming from . . .
I was brought up in a strict and passionate Catholic family and for the majority of Catholics, Good Friday is an  extremely holy/sacred day.

Which usually consist of fasting and praying and minimal to no entertainment what so ever, however it is also a public holiday and the start of the long weekend so a lotta people usually head out and chill.

I feel like what @Aaron said is true and that those who want to watch the footy should be able to and enjoy their public holiday,  and those who want to pray/fast and attend church should carry on with their schedule and  ignore any distraction such as footy and other things for the day. 

I personally watch the footy (after church) just cause I wanna balance out my day with religion and a bit of life/reality

:)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 11:07:14 am »
+2
I think that since not all Australians celebrate good Friday, that we should be allowed to have AFL games. Not all people will be treating this as the religious day that others might and so these people should be allowed to enjoy the long weekend how they want to.

Like what Sine said, good Friday is a religious holiday (from what I gather, don't know much about it tbh)- yet not all religions' holidays are public holidays. To force others to do something for a religion they don't follow is a little bit unfair, especially given the diversity that we see in Australia.
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)