Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:51:29 am

Author Topic: choosing what to study at uni  (Read 2059 times)

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
choosing what to study at uni
« on: January 01, 2017, 04:46:04 pm »
Hi everyone,

Im currently a year 12 student sitting their hsc in 2017.
as i'm on holidays with so much time to burn ive been
in this dilemma of what to study at uni....

Its a question that everyone asks especially family friends
and I've adopted a pretty blunt answer... veterinary science...

Frankly i don't know where my "heart lies" only that i'm definitely
looking towards doing a science based degree...

i've done some research on veterinary science and it really does interest me
only that the admission rate is 60/350 for csu applicants and sydney doesn't
hold much hope with a 98+ ATAR alongside extensive work experience for both...

I would appreciate anyone who could tell me their "story" of going through the process
of choosing their courses... also knowing when you've made the right decision to
commit (which I feel is the main reason driving my crisis and no I'm definitely not open to
taking a gap year just to "find myself" ::)

I honestly feel like I'm driving myself nuts thinking about what line i should go down.
HELP?

get me out of here

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
Re: choosing what to study at uni
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 08:03:31 pm »
Instead of thinking about what you want to study, it might be more helpful to consider what career/industry you want to work in.

If you're not sure what industry you want to work in, it might be helpful considering what a good career looks like to you. Do you want to work inside or outside? Do you want to work in a team or would you prefer something more solitary? Do you want to be a leader or would you rather follow? Once we work this out we can start looking at careers you might like and what course you will need to pursue.

If you want to stick with veterinary science I would suggest looking at what qualifications you will need as well as pathways to fall back on incase you don't get the ATAR you want.

In saying that though, there's nothing wrong with not knowing what you want to do right now. A lot of people don't know and the first career you pick probably won't be your last, so just go with what you're feeling the most right now. I'd also consider a generalist degree if you have an idea of what you want to do but you're not 100% sure. You can also transfer in and out of courses during uni, so you're not locked into anything if you do decide a bit later.

It's still early as well and you might have a better idea when it comes to submitting course preferences. But if not, just go with what you're feeling and remember that you can transfer at a later date if you're not happy. Try not to stress yourself out and best of luck with your studies this year :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 08:44:03 pm »
(Small technicality error - You're thinking of a degree, not a "course". A course at uni is just a subject.)

To be honest, I still don't know if I made the right decision myself. With the actuarial studies. But firstly I'll tell you my story.

I didn't know the actuarial profession existed until Year 10. That was when my accelerated maths teacher recommended me to be one. You could say I was interested; I didn't like Year 9/10 commerce too much but I had a weak business background, so I started researching about it. Found out that it was offered at UNSW and MQ. But being honest, all I knew was that it involved risk; I didn't know anything specific about it.

Year 11 came, and I transferred schools (old school only went from 7 to 10). Pure mathematics became something I was interested in. It was my physics teacher who suggested that I consider it, because he knew what kind of math brain I was. Although I was somewhat sceptic in Year 11. I had the mindset of - I will certainly take maths up as a double degree, just for the hell of it. But where would maths get me in life? Ironically, at the time I thought a science degree would get me further in life than a maths one.

By that time, a lot of people knew that I was thinking the actuarial direction. Because I was recommended for something since Year 10, I always kept it at heart, thinking that's what I will try out. Because trust me, I was also completely clueless. I didn't know where the hell I wanted to be in life either. Although, unlike you, I didn't even know what faculty I wanted.

Come Year 12, I soon realised from a motors assignment that I did not want to even touch engineering. Screw it; designing stuff is too painful.

Which left me with only business and science anyway. Because I knew I wanted to do some level of maths. My physics teacher kept pushing for the pure maths and I was becoming increasingly convinced. Come open day, I got sold. I knew i wanted to study maths no matter what.

But I felt if I just studied maths that would be boring. That's why I kept to the idea of a double degree. I thought for a long while that I wanted actuarial, then in December I started to back out because I thought maybe I wanted to do computer science. Simply because I didn't know if I wanted to go into business anymore. Plus computers felt interesting, and honestly our world revolves around them.

I just stuck with actuarial because I thought a) I managed to make the cutoff (somehow) and b) it's been my target since Year 10. May as well try.
I got into actuarial, and struggled. No idea at all how I survived this semester. But I'm convinced enough to push, because if I can do it now, hey, maybe I'll be able to do it in the future. Provided I can maintain my new-found like for business, I should be able to survive. (I still struggle a bit with getting used to the business-y world.)

Now, back to your situation. As mentioned, you definitely want to think about where it is you want to work. Like, if you are very interested in veterinary roles then good for you; keep thinking in that direction. But to what extent are you convinced that you want to give it a shot?

And if you're interested, are you willing to put in the effort to get in? Sure, it may be really hard to get in, but are you one of those people who will think it's too hard and dismiss it, or be the one to push as hard as possible to ENSURE you get in?

Because, honestly, if you're leaning towards the latter than you raise your chances a bit. Because you will force yourself to get that far. It's just like me; I had actuarial on my mind and whilst I prepared all sort of backups, I ended up not needing it. Because for some reason, and to this day I have no idea how, I got in.

Also, transfers are very common in uni. A lot of people go back on what they thought in Year 12. That is also OK, so do not dismiss the idea.

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 08:54:40 pm »
Thanks RuiAce and Coffee!

really those anecdotes really touched my heart haha.. I really don't fell alone in
my unsure state of mind that is driving me crazy...

yes I am one of those people who drive themselves nuts pushing themselves to achieve their
best... I was actually set on choosing humanity courses until came my year 10 science
teacher who is currently my physics teacher and made me obsessed with science...

I guess I'm just scared to make such a large commitment only to face possible failure...
On paper being a veterinary surgeon is a dream but logistically

I will have to take a chem bridging course
Relocate from Sydney to Wagga Wagga (not to mention the costs & independence from the rents)
and low acceptance rates (cries)
also their focus on rural veterinary practice really puts me off
(not that I imagined becoming a vet would be all cute and furry cats and dogs but I would prefer
to work in a city animal practice or in bio security for the gov)

get me out of here

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:43:21 pm »
Thanks RuiAce and Coffee!

really those anecdotes really touched my heart haha.. I really don't fell alone in
my unsure state of mind that is driving me crazy...

yes I am one of those people who drive themselves nuts pushing themselves to achieve their
best... I was actually set on choosing humanity courses until came my year 10 science
teacher who is currently my physics teacher and made me obsessed with science...

I guess I'm just scared to make such a large commitment only to face possible failure...
On paper being a veterinary surgeon is a dream but logistically

I will have to take a chem bridging course
Relocate from Sydney to Wagga Wagga (not to mention the costs & independence from the rents)
and low acceptance rates (cries)
also their focus on rural veterinary practice really puts me off
(not that I imagined becoming a vet would be all cute and furry cats and dogs but I would prefer
to work in a city animal practice or in bio security for the gov)

My friend did that move! Is now studying to be a Vet in Wagga, the move was an adjustment for her but she's loving it! Don't worry, just because the uni may want to steer you in a certain way with their degree, the qualification will always work the same everywhere; you'll always be able to do what you want to do ;D

hanaacdr

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 07:14:39 pm »
+5
Hi everyone,

Im currently a year 12 student sitting their hsc in 2017.
as i'm on holidays with so much time to burn ive been
in this dilemma of what to study at uni....

Its a question that everyone asks especially family friends
and I've adopted a pretty blunt answer... veterinary science...

Frankly i don't know where my "heart lies" only that i'm definitely
looking towards doing a science based degree...

i've done some research on veterinary science and it really does interest me
only that the admission rate is 60/350 for csu applicants and sydney doesn't
hold much hope with a 98+ ATAR alongside extensive work experience for both...

I would appreciate anyone who could tell me their "story" of going through the process
of choosing their courses... also knowing when you've made the right decision to
commit (which I feel is the main reason driving my crisis and no I'm definitely not open to
taking a gap year just to "find myself" ::)

I honestly feel like I'm driving myself nuts thinking about what line i should go down.
HELP?

don't let that 98+ ATAR put you off
believe in yourself!

if u believe, you can achieve!