Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:35:48 am

Author Topic: I need some thoughts on if I should re-do year 12  (Read 4469 times)

FoodLover195

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Wingham High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
I need some thoughts on if I should re-do year 12
« on: December 12, 2016, 07:48:54 pm »
I'm currently in year 10 (finishing in 3 days), and I want to go on an exchange for 5 months starting August next year. I originally applied for the preliminary application because I thought year 11 would be a 4 term year, and I didn't really want to risk my HSC for it so year 12 was a no-go. I have since learnt that I have passed the preliminary application and have been selected for an interview, and that year 11 is a 3 term year so my exchange would take place in my first term of year 12.

Naturally, my problem is that going will affect my HSC in a very negative way, but since I have been selected for the interview I don't want to just give up on a lifetime opportunity. As I see it, studying abroad is only half of the important part, doing it while I'm in high school is the other. High school can be considered to be like its own world of experiences, challenges and memories. Likewise, going to another country for the first time is the same. Experiencing both is another tier up, and I really want to take this opportunity to learn, grow and enjoy myself.

I looked at some options online today, and my best bet of going while still retaining a good HSC is to repeat year 12. That, or try and work out some long distance education (which would be extremely difficult on top of my work from my exchange high school). I'm currently a year ahead of my age group (year 10 = 15, year 11 = 16 and year 12 = 17 years old). So if I do repeat, I wouldn't really be worried about wasting a year, because I would still be graduating at the normal age. I also have many friends in the year below me, so attending school with them may not be a problem.

My problem with repeating is that how will I know if my current electives will run? If they don't, then how will I proceed with gaining my HSC (changing courses is, for the most part, not an option? I'm very happy with my current selections). Also, just thinking about graduating behind a year of all my main friends, who will be then going on with their lives is really daunting. Especially when I would prefer to go to the same uni, at the same time, as them (Best buds forever :P ) Of course, that's if I like the uni enough.

So my main question is, should I repeat year 12?  With side questions being:
How do you think that would work out?
Do you think I would still be able to do my current selected courses?
Do you know of any other alternatives to my problem of attending exchange and not being disadvantaged on my HSC?
Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance if your respond :)

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
Re: I need some thoughts on if I should re-do year 12
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 07:53:57 pm »
+1
 Absolutely you should not be looking to repeat year 12. Even if your HSC marks are affected and aren't as high as they otherwise would be, it would be far better to graduate and immediately go to university/TAFE/whatever than to repeat year 12. You can transfer to your ideal course after doing a semester or a year in another one without wasting any time.

FoodLover195

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:26:00 pm »
Thanks for the fast reply :)

Transfering to another course in uni? You can do that? What if I still don't have a high enough ATAR requirement? I, being in year 10, do not fully understand how the ATAR and Universities work. As far as I know, you aim for a good rank (one that at least meets your prefered uni course requirement) than you apply for said course and hope you get it. Any knowledge beyond that is beyond me.

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:32:48 pm »
+2
Thanks for the fast reply :)

Transfering to another course in uni? You can do that? What if I still don't have a high enough ATAR requirement? I, being in year 10, do not fully understand how the ATAR and Universities work. As far as I know, you aim for a good rank (one that at least meets your prefered uni course requirement) than you apply for said course and hope you get it. Any knowledge beyond that is beyond me.

You certainly can transfer! It's actually very easy and A LOT of people do it. After a semester (or a year in some universities) your ATAR becomes completely irrelevant in terms of transferring in comparison to your university average.

After I spent a semester at university, I transferred from a course that required a 75 ATAR to one that required a ~94.5 ATAR and my ATAR was a bit less than 80. You just need to have a decent WAM (Weighted Average Mark, how universities grade units along side GPA) to be successful. For reference, my 94 ATAR course required a 75 WAM (the WAM requirement to transfer changes depending on the course and university). It's a very painless process and quite straight forward.

If you want to transfer into a course down the road, my tip is to enroll in a lower ATAR requirement course at that same university. It is usually easier to transfer internally (i.e. between courses at the university you currently attend) than externally (transferring from a course at university X to a course at a different university Y).

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:39:38 pm »
+4
Do not even THINK about repeating Year 12, especially for a reason like this.

Missing one term is, undoubtedly, handicapping. It means that you probably can't achieve the best of your capabilities. But so what? It's not worth spending one full year again back in school just go get a 99+ ATAR when you could be doing other things that are more interesting.

There is no benefit from doing Year 12 again, just to get straight into that degree you want. If uni is what you're headed after, you are certainly better off enrolling for a degree with lower ATAR cut-off, then applying for a transfer. In this world, your Year 12 performance is absolutely inferior once you have made your step into the next stage of your life.

Also, whilst the ATAR CAN be used to transfer into another uni program, usually your GPA/WAM is what will take precedence here. Because in general those who apply for transfer might've messed up high school, but absolutely know their stuff at uni and can easily* secure their spot.

* - Things like law pose a bit more of a concern, but still not out of reach.

Recommendation: Do the exchange, and then complete your HSC. Simple as that. Better to put more effort into catching up what you missed out in the first term than to spend another year doing the entire thing.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:41:47 pm by RuiAce »

FoodLover195

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 08:55:18 pm »
Seriously guys, thanks for the help ;D

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 09:18:29 pm »
+2
Seriously guys, thanks for the help ;D
Just to add a fun anecdote - I've transferred uni courses three times and didn't cost me any time either :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

FoodLover195

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 05:01:07 pm »
One more question I forgot about, How much do you thinking missing term 1 of year 12 will affect my ATAR? I read online somewhere - for the very least of this year and next - that HSC rules state that you don't get any assignments until term 2 & 3. So I wont really be missing out on many marks as long as I can ace those right? I'm not looking for the best ATAR, just a decent one around like 75 - 80.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 05:10:36 pm »
+1
One more question I forgot about, How much do you thinking missing term 1 of year 12 will affect my ATAR? I read online somewhere - for the very least of this year and next - that HSC rules state that you don't get any assignments until term 2 & 3. So I wont really be missing out on many marks as long as I can ace those right? I'm not looking for the best ATAR, just a decent one around like 75 - 80.
Usually, any tasks that you miss in the first term receive an estimated mark. The school uses whatever sources they deem appropriate to estimate a mark you probably would have gotten if you were there for the task. You may have to apply for this in advance.

If anything, only the content will be what matters. How well you catch up on the content you missed being taught on will be more of a driver in affecting your ATAR.

FoodLover195

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 05:50:05 pm »
Hmm okay then. Thanks. I'll just try to pre-study the topics as much as I can then see if I can also get my teachers to keep track of the topics I would have covered so I can catch up after the exchange (which will end a few weeks into a 6 week holiday - so that's an advantage).

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 12:04:45 am »
+2
Usually, any tasks that you miss in the first term receive an estimated mark. The school uses whatever sources they deem appropriate to estimate a mark you probably would have gotten if you were there for the task. You may have to apply for this in advance.

If anything, only the content will be what matters. How well you catch up on the content you missed being taught on will be more of a driver in affecting your ATAR.

You can attend the ATAR Notes Head Start Lectures that are held every year to learn the content before the start of the term anyway ;)