Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:42:27 pm

Author Topic: Part-time job application  (Read 2737 times)  Share 

marina_t

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Part-time job application
« on: January 26, 2019, 11:16:43 pm »
Hey!
I'm currently looking for a part-time job and I'm finding it really difficult to get one. I've either been rejected from jobs or haven't heard back from places for months. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to be successful in finding a job (i.e what to include on my resume/cover letter)?

Thanks!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Part-time job application
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 11:56:17 pm »
You also need to consider that the older you are, the more you cost (in a general sense). Companies would prefer hiring a 15 year old schoolkid as they are extremely cheap to hire as opposed to somebody older who they have to pay more to.

Keep pushing - even look into volunteering etc. somewhere, you might get employment out of that! Do a CV drop to shops in a shopping centre etc too. In person makes the interest personal.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 12:00:21 am »
^ +1 everything above.
Even at the age of 18, I'm starting to get too expensive. I would have a look on Gumtree jobs tho!
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 09:58:31 am »
What type of job are you looking for? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 01:25:38 pm »
Hey!
I'm currently looking for a part-time job and I'm finding it really difficult to get one. I've either been rejected from jobs or haven't heard back from places for months. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to be successful in finding a job (i.e what to include on my resume/cover letter)?

Thanks!

dude. I have tried casual so many times and cant get a job plz someone help!!!! if anyone replies i'll post my resume in soon
-KgkG-

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 05:19:00 pm »
+7
I'm currently looking for a part-time job and I'm finding it really difficult to get one. I've either been rejected from jobs or haven't heard back from places for months.
This is a pretty normal response in all honesty. Regardless, don't give up and keep persisting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to be successful in finding a job (i.e what to include on my resume/cover letter)?

Here's some tips:
Tips
- Rui made an awesome resource for job stuff, which I've linked here. Some of the stuff might be a bit pre-emptive, but it's a good read nonetheless.
- Tailor your resume: Even if you have zero work experience (aside from the compulsory Year 10 stuff), you shouldn't be giving the same resume to a florist as you would to a tutoring company. There will be small things that you likely volunteered for or did that you didn't realise are skills you actually have. Also, skills you should be listing are often transferable or technical skills. Near the end of high school/ right after graduating high school (even with zero work experience), you'll realise you have the former down pat. For example, teamwork could be covered by group projects. Make use of it, but also try to think of non-academic stuff too.
- Volunteering: Really important if you have zero work experience. Instead of asking for work, ask to volunteer somewhere. Go to your local Salvo's or Vinnie's and see if they need volunteers. (But also check online to see if they have forms there.) Although volunteering means no money, the experience will grant you enough to apply for other jobs in a couple of months' time.
- Walk into shops with resumes in hand: Online isn't the only way you'll get jobs and people like to see that there's effort being made. For first ever jobs, walking in is the best option (as Aaron stated) and shows that you have initiative, since usually you will be aiming for either super big names or tiny businesses, like family-owned businesses or restaurants. 
- Take notes: Any time you're heading out via public transport or going somewhere a fair distance away, jot down some of the business names around you that you believe might hire you. (Don't do this if you're driving, though.) Check them up later on to see if you can score something with them or contact them. If you're going to the local shopping centre, take photos or write down the contact details on job hiring ads and apply to those.
- Remain patient and open-minded: You'll get rejected dozens of times before you land anything. This is normal. Remaining patient and open-minded, you'll find that there are more jobs available than you initially realise. Don't discard that job because you think it's not what you like, can't see yourself doing or nowhere near what you want to do as a career, because that'll reduce your chances of getting that first job.
- Research the company: You can raise your chances by simply researching the team and looking for a name of the branch manager or someone to contact. If you can write a name to address your cover letter to, you'll be on a better platform than those who didn't do their research.
- Writing your resume: There is no one way to write a resume, but here's a structure that seems to do the trick and summarises most people's interpretations. Try to keep this to about a page if you have never had a job before and keep the font something default-y like Times New Roman, Arial or Calibri. (Note: This order works best for me. You can change this order, if you like.):
  --> your details: Name, suburb you currently live in, reliable phone number and email address (keep these as consistent and professional as possible)
  --> summary: This isn't necessary, but a short personal profile summarising your direction and relevant skills in a tiny paragraph will be better than scouring through the entire CV and not finding what you want.
  --> skills: What do you offer? Try to keep this list down to 3 - 5 skills unless the job ad/ position description lists more. Usually I back this up with a hint towards where I learnt said skill e.g. "communication skills from [insert experience]"
  --> experience: What relevant experience do you have? When was it and what did you do that's relevant to the job you're applying for? If you have had a job or two, split this section into work and volunteering. If you only have volunteering, try listing it as "volunteer experience" rather than simply "volunteering".
  --> qualifications: Do NOT place emphasis on your education unless it's relevant to the job or a requirement of said job. Do NOT list ATAR unless it's relevant or a requirement. Make this brief and simple e.g. "VCE Baccalaureate (2014): English Language, Mathematical Methods, Psychology..." DO list your qualifications, preferably in reverse chronological order e.g. Food Handling certificate (2018), First Aid Certificate (2017).
  --> interests: Something that might help if you have little experience. Try to be relevant, but truthful. 
  --> referees: Some people don't like listing them. In this case, skip this part or write that they'll be given upon request.
Note: Some people may disagree with what I've stated as a tip and I understand that. There are multiple ways to look/ apply for jobs that will increase your chances of getting one. This is purely my interpretation after my own experiences.

Edit: Fixed a typo.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:58:56 am by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

marina_t

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 09:26:07 am »
What type of job are you looking for? :)

Just like a part-time job in retail or like in fast food chains in KFC or Maccas for now

marina_t

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 09:26:33 am »
This is a pretty normal response in all honesty. Regardless, don't give up and keep persisting.

Here's some tips:
Tips
- Rui made an awesome resource for job stuff, which I've linked here. Some of the stuff might be a bit pre-emptive, but it's a good read nonetheless.
- Tailor your resume: Even if you have zero work experience (aside from the compulsory Year 10 stuff), you shouldn't be giving the same resume to a florist as you would to a tutoring company. There will be small things that you likely volunteered for or did that you didn't realise are skills you actually have. Also, skills you should be listing are often transferable or technical skills. Near the end of high school/ right after graduating high school (even with zero work experience), you'll realise you have the former down pat. For example, teamwork could be covered by group projects. Make use of it, but also try to think of non-academic stuff too.
- Volunteering: Really important if you have zero work experience. Instead of asking for work, ask to volunteer somewhere. Go to your local Salvo's or Vinnie's and see if they need volunteers. (But also check online to see if they have forms there.) Although volunteering means no money, the experience will grant you enough to apply for other jobs in a couple of months' time.
- Walk into shops with resumes in hand: Online isn't the only way you'll get jobs and people like to see that there's effort being made. For first ever jobs, walking in is the best option (as Aaron stated) and shows that you have initiative, since usually you will be aiming for either super big names or tiny businesses, like family-owned businesses or restaurants. 
- Take notes: Any time you're heading out via public transport or going somewhere a fair distance away, jot down some of the business names around you that you believe might hire you. (Don't do this if you're driving, though.) Check them up later on to see if you can score something with them or contact them. If you're going to the local shopping centre, take photos or write down the contact details on job hiring ads and apply to those.
- Remain patient and open-minded: You'll get rejected dozens of times before you land anything. This is normal. Remaining patient and open-minded, you'll find that there are more jobs available than you initially realise. Don't discard that job because you think it's not what you like, can't see yourself doing or nowhere near what you want to do as a career, because that'll reduce your chances of getting that first job.
- Research the company: You can raise your chances by simply researching the team and looking for a name of the branch manager or someone to contact. If you can write a name to address your cover letter to, you'll be on a better platform than those who didn't do their research.
- Writing your resume: There is no one way to write a resume, but here's a structure that seems to do the trick and summaries most people's interpretations. Try to keep this to about a page if you have never had a job before and keep the font something default-y like Times New Roman, Arial or Calibri. (Note: This order works best for me. You can change this order, if you like.):
  --> your details: Name, suburb you currently live in, reliable phone number and email address (keep these as consistent and professional as possible)
  --> summary: This isn't necessary, but a short personal profile summarising your direction and relevant skills in a tiny paragraph will be better than scouring through the entire CV and not finding what you want.
  --> skills: What do you offer? Try to keep this list down to 3 - 5 skills unless the job ad/ position description lists more. Usually I back this up with a hint towards where I learnt said skill e.g. "communication skills from [insert experience]"
  --> experience: What relevant experience do you have? When was it and what did you do that's relevant to the job you're applying for? If you have had a job or two, split this section into work and volunteering. If you only have volunteering, try listing it as "volunteer experience" rather than simply "volunteering".
  --> qualifications: Do NOT place emphasis on your education unless it's relevant to the job or a requirement of said job. Do NOT list ATAR unless it's relevant or a requirement. Make this brief and simple e.g. "VCE Baccalaureate (2014): English Language, Mathematical Methods, Psychology..." DO list your qualifications, preferably in reverse chronological order e.g. Food Handling certificate (2018), First Aid Certificate (2017).
  --> interests: Something that might help if you have little experience. Try to be relevant, but truthful. 
  --> referees: Some people don't like listing them. In this case, skip this part or write that they'll be given upon request.
Note: Some people may disagree with what I've stated as a tip and I understand that. There are multiple ways to look/ apply for jobs that will increase your chances of getting one. This is purely my interpretation after my own experiences.

Thank you so much for your advice! :)