Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 07:14:32 pm

Author Topic: How do you answer the question 'What is your greatest strength and weakness?'  (Read 2622 times)  Share 

Dapuccino

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
The question that we get asked at almost every job interview, 'What is your greatest strength and weakness?'
Is there a real answer to answer this question?
I know that one of the ways to answer it properly is to turn your weakness into a strength.
How would you answer this uniquely, I feel like many people would say the same thing.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
It could very well be a common answer, but justifying why is the more important part.

This is unique to you as an individual.

I know that one of the ways to answer it properly is to turn your weakness into a strength.
Yes, again, justify and explain. Don't just say "my weakness is that im a perfectionist" (as an e.g.)... why are you a perfectionist? how can being a perfectionist benefit the company/business you are applying to?

There are some answers which you probably wouldn't say.. e.g. if you dont like working in teams... that's kind of hard to come back from given most workplaces are team-based.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:16:49 am by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
The question that we get asked at almost every job interview, 'What is your greatest strength and weakness?'
Is there a real answer to answer this question?
How would you answer this uniquely, I feel like many people would say the same thing.
In addition to the above, don’t say that you’re:
- an introvert
- not confident or have issues communicating
- get flustered easily
- can’t handle deadlines
- don’t like kpi (especially if it’s a job like sales which will have kpis)

All of these are pretty much deal breakers for people looking to employ :). Communication skills and the ability to handle pressures are soft skills that ALL employers look for.

Side note: I wouldn’t bother mentioning anxiety as some employers may look at it as a big liability in a employee. Albeit any sort of mental illness for that matter ... can be looked down upon as an impediment to your job (sad.. but can be the case)

The weaknesses that you mention , need to be good ones. E.g. perfectionist, too much attention to detail.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:39:40 am by EEEEEEP »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
In addition to the above, don’t say that you’re:
- an introvert

All of these are pretty much deal breakers for people looking to employ :).

Definitely don't agree with this. Nothing wrong with being an introvert at all.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Definitely don't agree with this. Nothing wrong with being an introvert at all.
With some roles I'd say it's okay, but with anything remotely sales or marketing or customer service related, they are looking more for bubbly, talkative ones (that is from my experience and what my careers counsellor told me)

When leading teams or working in teams, talking with a lot of people extroversion is a must.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:34:40 pm by EEEEEEP »

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
The key is self-awareness. Saying your biggest weakness is being a perfectionist is a sure-fire way to make your interviewer roll their eyes. It should be an actual weakness, but you need to explain the steps you have taken to resolve it.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
With some roles I'd say it's okay, but with anything remotely sales or marketing or customer service related, they are looking more for bubbly, talkative ones (that is from my experience and what my careers counsellor told me)

When leading teams or working in teams, talking with a lot of people extroversion is a must.

I think you'd be surprised how many leaders all over the world/professionals across a vast array of domains are introverted.

Introversion isn't the same as being good at talking to people.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
I'm dead shy talking to new people, or taking a leadership role, and would far rather not. but I really enjoy it because it challenges me, and I get to learn about new people/skills/stories/experiences

Introverts frequently display qualities such as the ability to listen far better, think about the impacts of decisions clearly, and their ability to make a personal connection quickly. Yet this also doesn't mean introvert = cool as a cucumber = great leader

I think it depends how you use your strengths and overcome your weaknesses to be the best leader you can be, and forever striving to be better and to make use of what you have

edit: I also think that while this may be important information to others, it has kinda strayed from the OP's question/s