Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:00:29 pm

Author Topic: Physics Question about comparing results  (Read 605 times)  Share 

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
Physics Question about comparing results
« on: August 07, 2019, 07:08:06 pm »
Hi Guys,

Is there a specific term used to describe the difference between two values. For instance, if I wanted to find the difference between a marble's horizontal range without and with the presence of air resistance at different launch angles by doing: (horizontal range without air resistance/horizontal range with air resistance), what term would you use to describe it? Is it called the error factor? Or something else?

All replies will be much appreciated

Thanks  :)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Physics Question about comparing results
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 06:25:03 pm »
Hi Guys,

Is there a specific term used to describe the difference between two values. For instance, if I wanted to find the difference between a marble's horizontal range without and with the presence of air resistance at different launch angles by doing: (horizontal range without air resistance/horizontal range with air resistance), what term would you use to describe it? Is it called the error factor? Or something else?

There's not really any specific term for it as far as I know. Call it what you want, but I guess you could say error factor.

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
Re: Physics Question about comparing results
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 11:02:42 am »
Hi Guys,

Just be careful with using 'compare', as it is commonly used to mean 'the quotient of 2 results'. Like, compare the gravitational potential of a 20kg object and a 50 kg object at the same height. We just divide the 2 answers and say '20kg object possesses 'x' times as much potential as 50kg'
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)