Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:59:02 am

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 260109 times)  Share 

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
VCE HHD Question Thread!
« on: November 10, 2014, 10:25:47 am »
+1
VCE HEALTH & HUMAN DEVELOPMENT Q&A THREAD

To go straight to posts from 2020, click here.

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the VCE Health & Human Development course or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask!

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, including TuteSmart tutors! So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

OTHER HHD RESOURCES

Original post.
Welcome to the Health Board :D
This thread can be used to ask any questions about the content of Health and Human Development that you may have.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:27:33 pm by PhoenixxFire »

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 05:03:52 pm »
+2
Just bumping so it comes on my notifications and I can help out...
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Bluegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:29:07 am »
+1
Just bumping so it comes on my notifications and I can help out...
Me too :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 11:58:05 am »
+1
And likewise.

Look at us - so keen.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:09:28 pm »
+1
And likewise.

Look at us - so keen.
Haha so keen but nobody is asking any questions xD. I remember this time last year, myself, bluegirl, lucasvang, MM and some others were flooding the health threads with questions!!!

Hmm maybe when school starts the 2015 hhders might start asking!

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:44:58 pm »
I'm joining up too :)
2015ers, get in fast!  We're so eager right now we'll be jumping over each other to answer you!  but you've only got a month, Uni starts in March and then...
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

mnafady2006

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:07:59 am »
don't worry guys, enjoy this day or two because in the upcoming days and weeks you will be flooded with questions from us haha.

But to start off was wondering how structuring answers works in HHD. Is it similar to Busman where you begin most answers with definitions and elaborate on the key task words and relate it to the case study or is HHD different?
Thanks !

2015- English, Methods, Economics, Health

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 11:23:49 am »
+1
don't worry guys, enjoy this day or two because in the upcoming days and weeks you will be flooded with questions from us haha.

But to start off was wondering how structuring answers works in HHD. Is it similar to Busman where you begin most answers with definitions and elaborate on the key task words and relate it to the case study or is HHD different?
Thanks !
Kinda of. I never really started my answers with definitions, but I had specific structures to a lot of my answers. My teacher also was obsessed with making specific structures to your answers so you don't lose any marks in the exam.

We usually made this 'formulas' by first answering a question freestyle. Then, we would compare the answer to a structured answer either my teacher had or an answer in the VCAA assesors reports (although I would reccomend saving vcaa stuff until the end).

And then after comparing answers, we would see what was missing in our answers, and make a formula.

For example, to answer NHPA questions, I had this structure which would get me full marks in the exams:

W - What -> What is the NHPA called (1 pt)
W - Who -> Who is it run by (1 pt)
A - Aim -> What do they aim to do (1 pt)
H - How -> How do they do it (2 pts,)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:31:49 am by Rod »

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 11:32:51 am »
+1
Here is an example I copy pasted from my notes;

What: ‘Life! Taking action on diabetes’

Who: The Victorian State Government.

Aim: simply reduce the incidence of type 2 diabetes among those at risk.

How: Promote awareness of diabetes prevention through media and have a website –www.diabeteslife.org.au that provides resources and education to individuals regarding prevention of type 2 diabetes. Also, they run a course to 25000 Victorians who are at a high risk of diabetes. The course runs six group sessions over an eight week period that will educate individuals about type 2 diabetes and lifestyle behaviour change that will reduce risks of developing diabetes. It helps individuals set goals, help you lose weight and adjust your eating habits

Question and answer: ‘Life! Taking action on diabetes’, implemented by the Victorian State Government, aims to reduce the incidence of type 2 diabetes among those at risk. They do this by promoting awareness of diabetes prevention through media like posters and advertises. They have a website (http://www.diabeteslife.org.au) that provides resources and education to individuals regarding prevention of type 2 diabetes. They also do this by running a course to 25 000 Victorians who are at high risk of diabetes. They course runs six group sessions over an eight week period that will educate individuals about type 2 diabetes and lifestyle behaviour change that will reduce risks of developing diabetes. It helps individuals et goals, helps them lose weight and also adjusting eating habits (diet).

mnafady2006

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:26:14 am »
Thanks for clearing that up Rod !
makes heaps of sense :)

more_vanilla

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:12:14 pm »
+1

Kinda of. I never really started my answers with definitions, but I had specific structures to a lot of my answers. My teacher also was obsessed with making specific structures to your answers so you don't lose any marks in the exam.

We usually made this 'formulas' by first answering a question freestyle. Then, we would compare the answer to a structured answer either my teacher had or an answer in the VCAA assesors reports (although I would reccomend saving vcaa stuff until the end).

And then after comparing answers, we would see what was missing in our answers, and make a formula.

For example, to answer NHPA questions, I had this structure which would get me full marks in the exams:

W - What -> What is the NHPA called (1 pt)
W - Who -> Who is it run by (1 pt)
A - Aim -> What do they aim to do (1 pt)
H - How -> How do they do it (2 pts,)

Would be awesome if you could make a thread with all your response structures/formulas! Maybe when you're procrastinating or just feeling extremely bored? Hahaha

Thanks for the excellent NHPA example btw! :))
2014: Psychology, Accounting
2015: Methods, Further, EngLang, HHD, UMEP Accounting

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 12:22:50 am »
+2
Would be awesome if you could make a thread with all your response structures/formulas! Maybe when you're procrastinating or just feeling extremely bored? Hahaha

Thanks for the excellent NHPA example btw! :))
I have many so I think I'll just post them as we progress through the year. So when you guys are up to the MDGs I'll type up my structure/formulas for the progress/purpose qs (term 2), or when you guys are up to the 6/7 mark health, hd, sustainability (term 3) I'll type up my formula for that.

Think it would be better that way because you guys won't really need them now unless you've started practice exams already (unlikely) xD.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 10:50:29 am »
+1
I have many so I think I'll just post them as we progress through the year. So when you guys are up to the MDGs I'll type up my structure/formulas for the progress/purpose qs (term 2), or when you guys are up to the 6/7 mark health, hd, sustainability (term 3) I'll type up my formula for that.

Think it would be better that way because you guys won't really need them now unless you've started practice exams already (unlikely) xD.

And counter-productive, one suggests!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

mnafady2006

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 10:36:23 pm »
Just a quick question,
In regards to the questions in the textbook. Is it worth doing all the questions ( as they are quite a few), or are they not an accurate representation of exam like questions.
For example in the key concepts textbook there's the basic questions + apply your knowledge questions + extra ones which make for a heap of questions

How did you guys go about the textbook questions? worth it or nah?
Thanks

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 10:47:14 pm »
+3
Just a quick question,
In regards to the questions in the textbook. Is it worth doing all the questions ( as they are quite a few), or are they not an accurate representation of exam like questions.
For example in the key concepts textbook there's the basic questions + apply your knowledge questions + extra ones which make for a heap of questions

How did you guys go about the textbook questions? worth it or nah?
Thanks

Textbook questions that are related to the content in the study design would be useful to attempt, e.g. defining Burden of Disease or explaining variations in health status between males&females using determinants of health. These types of Qs would develop your skills for answering SAC/exam questions too :) Sometimes there can be Qs which seem totally irrelevant or not directly related to any of the topics in HHD - e.g. I remember doing Qs that asked about the 'vision of WHO' - whatever that is??? :P Keep your study design with you at all times and ensure that you're doing the Qs that will help you in the long run (even if that means defining BOD a few more times than you would prefer :P ).

HHD textbooks are awesome (obviously haha) but the reason they're so big is that not every single page in there will be something you need to know for the exam - e.g. you might have 2 or 3 pages dedicated to a media article about obesity - and that's just stimulus material rather than actual content you need to learn! So in the same way, do the Qs which you think link up most closely with the key-knowledge dot points in the hhd study design :) From memory, usually those Qs are prominent in the basic Qs and application type Qs - you might also have 'exam-style Qs' in the chapter reviews of your book so doing those will also be super useful :D
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)