Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:24 pm

Author Topic: UNSW General Chat  (Read 80111 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: UNSW General Chat
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2019, 11:27:42 am »
+1
Just got a progression check back and if I want to finish my degree on time, I need to overload term 3 next year. Watch how stressed out I'm going to be :(

I mean, you do you and I pray for you fam. Trimesters suck.

Meanwhile never doing standard load again even if it means delaying my degree.

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2019, 03:08:18 pm »
+3
Recently looked into my potential assessment tasks for T1 2020, and it seems like I'll have to write 16750 words worth of assessment.... help me I have not enjoyed a single essay assessment to this day. Can't wait

Also, Trimesters have forced me to completely do education courses next year, meaning I miss out on doing my physics courses with my current physics cohort and will be forced to join the cohort behind me...  :-\
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:10:00 pm by blasonduo »
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2019, 03:14:04 pm »
Recently looked into my potential assessment tasks for T1 2020, and it seems like I'll have to write 16750 words worth of assessment.... help me I have not enjoyed a single essay assessment to this day. Can't wait

Also, Trimesters have forced me to completely do education courses next year, meaning I miss out on doing my physics courses with my current physics cohort and will be forced to join the cohort behind me...  :-\

That's a bit of a bummer. How close is your cohort?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2019, 07:47:32 pm »
+2
That's a bit of a bummer. How close is your cohort?

Surprisingly very close! Although my main concern is losing the 5 or so people I study with/go to lectures with. You know, the thing that makes university actually enjoyable, and far easier to do well in. I feel like all the other students when I do end up doing the courses will already have those groups. I guess I'll have to wait and see :/
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2019, 09:50:56 pm »
+1
That must be an education thing because it's the same for me. 4ths years entirely education courses and 5ths years just music. I think it's mainly music electives in 5th year but I'll still not be able to see my music friends as much (who'll graduate when I'm in 4th year :( )
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:52:47 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2019, 10:07:15 pm »
+1
That's my cohort :o

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2019, 10:23:48 am »
+3

That must be an education thing because it's the same for me. 4ths years entirely education courses and 5ths years just music. I think it's mainly music electives in 5th year but I'll still not be able to see my music friends as much (who'll graduate when I'm in 4th year :( )
Why do I hear the most complaints from education faculty students these days. Yikes.

(By that I mean not just you two, yes.)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2019, 06:58:12 pm »
+7
Boarded tram from Central: 5:57 PM.
Tram arrived at UNSW: 6:20 PM.

Boarded tram from UNSW: 6:21 PM.
Tram arrived at Central: 6:42 PM.

And common consensus is that it’s averaging 20 mins. I got a bit above it.

And UNSW Express buses (89x series) average 15 mins.

Moral of the story?
- If you’re in a rush, or if all you care about is saving time, stick with the buses.
- If you don’t care, an extra 6-8 mins for far less motion sickness sounds pretty gold to me.

(But it’s nice to know that the light rail still runs on weekends.) 🚈 

HelpWEnglishPlease

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2019, 05:54:31 pm »
Hey guys so my atar is 0.2 points off commerce at unsw (w bonus) , is there a chance I still get in??

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2019, 05:59:44 pm »
Hey guys so my atar is 0.2 points off commerce at unsw (w bonus) , is there a chance I still get in??
Yes.

HelpWEnglishPlease

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2019, 06:15:51 pm »
Do you think I should apply for accomodation at UNSW then? also any idea when theyd tell me I got in?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2019, 06:34:37 pm »
+5
If accommodation is what you're worried about, obviously check when you're going to be charged first. If you're not charged until you've moved in, then I can't see why you shouldn't apply.

I'm not exactly sure how living on campus works. But if you have to pay a small application fee, it may be a small sacrifice. The larger the initial expense required, the more you may want to hold off.

In saying that: Seeing as though you're aiming to get into commerce, you can also consider picking UNSW anyway, but starting with a related degree. Like say, B Economics. Then get yourself adequately high marks to transfer into commerce later on. (Plus, in degrees such as the BEc, you can take units that get transferred over into the BCom.) In short, there's also alternate pathways into UNSW commerce.

(It's not fair for me to just tell you what to do specifically. It's ultimately your own decision or gut instinct.)

HelpWEnglishPlease

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2019, 04:07:09 pm »
If accommodation is what you're worried about, obviously check when you're going to be charged first. If you're not charged until you've moved in, then I can't see why you shouldn't apply.

I'm not exactly sure how living on campus works. But if you have to pay a small application fee, it may be a small sacrifice. The larger the initial expense required, the more you may want to hold off.

In saying that: Seeing as though you're aiming to get into commerce, you can also consider picking UNSW anyway, but starting with a related degree. Like say, B Economics. Then get yourself adequately high marks to transfer into commerce later on. (Plus, in degrees such as the BEc, you can take units that get transferred over into the BCom.) In short, there's also alternate pathways into UNSW commerce.

(It's not fair for me to just tell you what to do specifically. It's ultimately your own decision or gut instinct.)

Thanks for your help, would waiting to get the offer be too long to wait for accommodation application?, I've got entry into usyd and unimelb for commerce so just wondering, I would rather not waste a year on unsw.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2019, 11:21:48 pm »
+2

Thanks for your help, would waiting to get the offer be too long to wait for accommodation application?, I've got entry into usyd and unimelb for commerce so just wondering, I would rather not waste a year on unsw.
That depends on if you want to prioritise safety.

UNSW's business is strong, but then again so is USyd. (Can't speak for UniMelb; would have to ask someone that goes there, but I doubt it'd be bad either.) For the long run, if you prefer to play it safe, you may want to just go for USyd or UniMelb.

Whereas if you have a personal reason to really strongly favour UNSW, you should weigh that out against the issue of safety.

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2019, 06:29:19 pm »
Hello,
I just received an offer to electrical engineering/comp sci but I am confused by how the timetable works. Any advice for me please? Thanks :)
Selection rank: 95.25

2020-2024: Bachelor of engineering and computer science @ UNSW