Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:29:48 am

Author Topic: New Maths In Focus Book  (Read 3750 times)  Share 

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
New Maths In Focus Book
« on: November 03, 2019, 10:57:34 am »
Hey guys, our school uses the new maths in focus book. I've heard that the old maths in focus was too basic and easy. Is the new maths in focus like this too? Personally, the final few questions are really challenging. Are these questions considered easy for you guys?? Is it worth buying another textbook like Terry Lee?

Thanks for your time!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: New Maths In Focus Book
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 01:44:28 pm »
+1
Hey guys, our school uses the new maths in focus book. I've heard that the old maths in focus was too basic and easy. Is the new maths in focus like this too? Personally, the final few questions are really challenging. Are these questions considered easy for you guys?? Is it worth buying another textbook like Terry Lee?

Thanks for your time!

I think a lot of this depends on personal preference. If you think the book is good and has been helping you, then that's all that really matters.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 05:42:41 pm »
Hey, thanks for your response! I think the book is good, it has good explanations and various examples. However, are the questions I'm doing too easy? What if there is a big gap in difficulty between this textbook and the exam? If anyone has actually been able to compare the new MIF book with others, what are your thoughts?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 06:11:37 pm »

Thanks for your time!
Hey there,

I didn't use the new Maths in Focus textbook but my school did use the old Maths in Focus textbook (it's the one with the purple cover - 2nd edition, I think?). Personally (and my math teacher also agreed with me), Maths in Focus either has easy questions, or the wording of some of the questions is pretty dodgy (Exhibit A) - again, this was with the old Maths in Focus textbook. I'm not sure how much has changed.

I'd recommend using the Fitzpatrick textbook, mainly because I found the questions a lot more challenging, but also I was able to purchase a student pack where it also had worked solutions (this is with the more recent editions). While I do recommend Fitzpatrick, check with your school library if they have a copy of the Fitzpatrick textbook before running out and purchasing it.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 08:41:44 pm »
+1
So I haven't gotten my hands on a copy of the new Year 12 MIF textbook yet. But at first glance from the Year 11 MIF, I feel like most of the questions have stayed on the same difficulty.

The textbook isn't really garbage in my honest opinion. At the very least, it sets the foundation. It introduces the techniques you require, and prepares you for further practice involving it.

But yes, the textbook tends to stick to a foundation. If you're the type of student that loves fast-tracking, you may want to consider alternate options. From what I've seen, the Fitzpatrick textbooks have a very healthy span of easy to hard questions. Same goes for the new Cambridge textbook.

And meanwhile, Terry Lee's textbook definitely jumps to the deeper end more quickly.

I do think that there is a gap between MIF and the harder questions in the exam. By itself, I feel like it would be inadequate. That being said, mixing things up with past papers can work miracles. Back when I did MX1 in Year 11, I literally just sucked up MIF and spammed past papers to help boost up my mark instead. (In saying that, if you want a more consistent option, having a back-up textbook with typically more challenging questions is a good idea.)

slothologist

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 12:34:11 pm »
Hey there!

I was wondering if the maths in focus book is available to be downloaded from the internet for free?

Thanks!
Thanks

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 05:41:52 pm »
+1
Hey there!

I was wondering if the maths in focus book is available to be downloaded from the internet for free?

Thanks!

Hey Slothologist,

Since this textbook, among many other textbooks, is copyrighted, it can't be legally distributed for free on the internet. If you would like an online copy of the Maths in Focus book, I know that when I purchased my hardcopy of the old textbook for school a couple years ago, it came with online access codes - it should be the same for the new version!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 05:48:15 pm by louisaaa01 »
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine