Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:30:18 am

Author Topic: Prefer to write or type responses to past papers?  (Read 625 times)

Stringy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Prefer to write or type responses to past papers?
« on: July 30, 2018, 07:17:51 pm »
+1
Atm i'm writing all my responses, but I feel like i would be able to get through so many more questions (especially long response) if i just typed them out, is the learning still as effective when typing responses?

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Prefer to write or type responses to past papers?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 07:35:30 pm »
+6
Hey Stringy,
I've thought about this as well, and I'm sure there's been discussion on it before but I can't find the thread. Oh well! I just looked it up, and some research will tell you that although typing may be faster or more convenient, studies say that writing out your notes and answers will be much more effective for consolidation. So if you're doing homework you feel you just need to get done quickly, the best course of action would be to type it out. However, if you wanted to study and remember what you're doing, give yourself the best chance at consolidating the information you want to, the best course of action is to pick up a pen and go old-school. :)

edit: here's a link to a blog post, which in turn refers to a study done. If you want to delve more in depth, here's a good starting point!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:38:58 pm by secretly_a_poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Prefer to write or type responses to past papers?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 07:37:11 pm »
+7
The main problem with typing responses is that you won't be typing in exams. Handwriting responses helps you figure out your exam timing and build up strength and speed for the exams.

That being said, when I was practicing biology questions (on their own, not as an exam) I would do this on the computer as I got through much more then that I otherwise would have so the pros ouweighed the cons.

I'd suggest that you at least handwrite when you are practing a full exam and focus on handwriting in the lead up to exams. Until then, the best choice will probably depend on the specific circumstances at the time