Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:07 pm

Author Topic: Sewing thread!  (Read 16425 times)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Sewing thread!
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:52:17 pm »
+15
Hey guys I don't know if there's already a sewing thread but if there isn't please post pictures here of any things that you sew!

I have been sewing for a while maybe 3 years. I first made some very simple bags/pencilcases/cushions. I have sewn quite a few tops and dresses but the majority have been very unwearable. I have slowly been improving though and today I made a jumpsuit/two piece thing that I'm really proud of! It's one of the first clothes I've made that my mum hasn't said looks ''Interesting''.
In the past I've tried to avoid zips because I've had bad experiences but I'm excited because I finally added one successfully! I bought this nice material for $3 at an opshop (Where I get most of my material because Spotlight so expensive, especially since there's a high chance I'll ruin it. But like it's almost cheaper to buy new clothes than to buy the material to make it I read about an experiment where they got people to make paper cranes then gave them a choice to either buy back the ones they made themselves or buy or perfect ones that were already made. They found that people would pay more for the ones they made themselves even though they were messier and worse than the perfect ones someone else had made.
Does anyone know of any cheap material stores? I really like this fabric even though I think it's intended for an armchair or couch, but oh well  :P .

It's also the second time I've tried sewing trousers, but they're not as scary as you'd expect.

Edit: Yay I finally used imgur for the first time!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:08:44 pm by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
Re: Sewing thread!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:48:38 am »
+15
I had a tiny bit of material left and I didn't want to waste it so I made myself a new pencil case with it and some scraps of denim from old jeans.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 03:50:44 pm »
+8
Owlbird, this is amazing!! you have talent to sew like this, I especially love the pencil case's pattern!

I don't sew much and when I do it's always repair work or adjustment, but I know the effort it takes to work on something like this and I admire it! Keep us updated!! :)) <3 <3
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 07:59:42 pm »
+4
Owlbird, this is amazing!! you have talent to sew like this, I especially love the pencil case's pattern!

I don't sew much and when I do it's always repair work or adjustment, but I know the effort it takes to work on something like this and I admire it! Keep us updated!! :)) <3 <3

Thank you sew much Poet!!   ;D I enjoy it and I like fashion so hopefully one day I will get good enough to sew most of my own clothes!  ;D ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 10:10:44 pm »
+5
I really love this thread !! So unique and so much skill going on, which I admire deeply <3
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:49:37 am »
+4
I really love this thread !! So unique and so much skill going on, which I admire deeply <3

Thank you Beatroot! Hopefully I can continue to make things throughout the year as study breaks!  ;D

Isla77

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 09:19:19 pm »
+5
You are really skilled at sewing! I love the pencil case and your jumpsuit too!!

I also like sewing, although it is a bit of a past time now :'( regardless I will share with you guys here too if I make anything!

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 09:51:16 pm »
+3
You are really skilled at sewing! I love the pencil case and your jumpsuit too!!

I also like sewing, although it is a bit of a past time now :'( regardless I will share with you guys here too if I make anything!

Thanks Isla!  :D Yes please do!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 09:58:56 pm »
+6
This is amazing! I am into knitting but I've never been great at sewing. My biggest exploit is making a dinosaur costume - basically just a hoodie with triangles running down the back that I stuffed with old pillow stuffing (plus the tail made out of the hoodie sleeves).

Re: places to get material - maybe some independent craft stores or material suppliers have some better deals? I've picked up really cheap but good yarn by going to a warehouse sale for a yarn supplier that also had a shopfront. Otherwise you can always try Lincraft but I'm not sure that it's actually cheaper than Spotlight.

Isla77

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 10:37:19 pm »
+3
ohh just remembered (thanks for inspiring my memory K888 ;)) Lincraft has massive sales every few months and during those few days everything is 40% off I believe :) Got my formal dress fabric during that

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 06:52:50 am »
+2
This is amazing! I am into knitting but I've never been great at sewing. My biggest exploit is making a dinosaur costume - basically just a hoodie with triangles running down the back that I stuffed with old pillow stuffing (plus the tail made out of the hoodie sleeves).

Re: places to get material - maybe some independent craft stores or material suppliers have some better deals? I've picked up really cheap but good yarn by going to a warehouse sale for a yarn supplier that also had a shopfront. Otherwise you can always try Lincraft but I'm not sure that it's actually cheaper than Spotlight.
Haha that sounds cute! Yeah, thanks I should probably look for smaller craft stores.  ;D

ohh just remembered (thanks for inspiring my memory K888 ;)) Lincraft has massive sales every few months and during those few days everything is 40% off I believe :) Got my formal dress fabric during that

Cool I'll check it out! Wow you sewed your formal dress! That's so cool!! I have been wanting to sew a formal dress for a while but I'm too scared of mucking up nice material! Do you have a picture? My formal is in June its always the same day as the gat  :-\ so maybe if I feel confident enough I will give it a try!  ;D

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 11:06:14 am »
+9
Up-cycling one of my Grandma's old shirts into an off-the-shoulder dress.

Sorry about the bad quality photos.

The material wasn't really long enough to be a proper dress, so it'll have to be worn with leggings.

I tried it on with a lace top underneath and the left over collar placed on it. I think if I can find some lace in an op shop I might try to attach cream lace to the top part and maybe attach the collar that I kept.
Spoiler

Or I might possibly add straps, because I don't really wear many off the shoulder things because I am constantly pulling them up and worried they will fall down.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:11:05 am by Owlbird83 »

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 04:15:24 pm »
+2
You are so talented!! Did you teach yourself to sew? And as an avid jumpsuit and off the shoulder wearer and clothes hoarder, I would love to try my hand at sewing my own clothes! I love that pencil case you made too! I have been loving browsing your fabulous creations, your keen eye, creativity and flair for what you do does not go unnoticed! Can't wait to see more :)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 08:30:35 pm »
+4
You are so talented!! Did you teach yourself to sew? And as an avid jumpsuit and off the shoulder wearer and clothes hoarder, I would love to try my hand at sewing my own clothes! I love that pencil case you made too! I have been loving browsing your fabulous creations, your keen eye, creativity and flair for what you do does not go unnoticed! Can't wait to see more :)

Thanks Mango!! That means so much! ;D  Yes I taught myself to sew! I have never used any patterns, (I did buy one, but it looked really complicated and I didn't know how to use it really). I start by tracing the shape of clothes that I already have onto material. When you're learning, I recommend buying material at an opshop because you can get it really cheaply and so you don't have to worry about ruining expensive material. I had a really old Singer sewing machine (maybe 50 years old) that I my Grandma gave to me, but around a year ago it stopped working so I bought a really basic beginner Singer sewing machine at Spotlight for around $100.
At first I was a bit impatient, (and I sometimes still am) and I didn't really take the time to measure the clothes or use a ruler, so most things I made were a bit lopsided or didn't fit me properly.
Recently, I have started putting in darts, (which I think are necessary unless the material is very stretchy, they make the clothes fit and sit better.

Basically, now, I trace the shape of clothes on the material, or I make it a different shape, There's some kind of chalk you can buy, but I just use watercolour pencils.
Then I cut around it leaving enough for the seam. Then I pin it together where I want to sew and try it on. I move the pins around to make sure it fits properly. (I want to buy a dressmaking dummy thing so that I don't have to continuously be taking it on and off So many pin pricks)
With darts I think you can sort of see where they go by where the fabric creases or doesn't sit right, and so I pinch in a place where it's needed and pin it and sew it Sorry that was a confusing sentence . It might be better to just copy it off where it is on a top you already have.
Then I fold the hems over twice and pin them and sew along them. Or I don't because I get lazy once I've almost finished

Don't worry if your clothes are unwearable to start with I have many tops/dresses under my bed and in my cupboard that I have made then hidden away because i could not possibly wear them in public! It is only recently that I feel confident wearing a few of the things I have made in public!
I am still yet to try making proper sleeves, they look scary and I haven't tried them yet!

I recently watched some Youtube videos on sewing too, and it helps to see a visual of someone sewing.

Also, you might want to start by modifying clothes you already have that you don't want anymore, which might be more simple.

I too love jumpsuits and also have too many clothes! :D

I hope this was helpful! If you have any more questions please ask them or pm me! I look forward to seeing your sewing! ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:34:21 pm by Owlbird83 »

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 09:40:17 am »
+9
I turned one of my Grandma's old jumpers into a dress.

At first I was just going to use the body for the dress and was going to make straps, but there wasn't enough material to make a long enough dress, so I opened out the sleeves and created the top part with them sewn together.

Because school is starting soon, this will probably be the last until the next holidays.  ;D This thread is good because it's been motivating me to sew more!