Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:30 pm

Author Topic: ash's sad, sad journey through high school :))  (Read 2434 times)

daddyyshrek

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9
ash's sad, sad journey through high school :))
« on: December 06, 2020, 12:57:48 am »
+19
Hello!

My name is ashley, preferably ash. I'm currently in year 9 (class of 2023), but I guess you could consider me a year 10 now, as my school holidays have just started. I've been stalking all of the forums on AN for about a year now :)

A bit about me:

I have a passion for creative writing. I had originally planned on doing VCE Lit, but was advised against it sadly, as my writing might not be 'mature' enough :(( I also have a love for health, hence choosing HHD. I absolutely love all things crime. I've been binge watching all seasons of CSI and Law and Order. My goal for next year is to participate in The UN Youth Voice Competition and The Evatt Competition.

My subjects for year 10 include:

+ Advanced English
+ Advanced Maths
+ Forensic Science
+ Chemistry
+ Environmental Science
+ Health and Human Development (U1 & 2)

This year was an absolute FLOP for me. I didn't get the opportunity to learn at my full potential, and I did the bare minimum work. So, my plan for next year is to achieve the best grades I can, whilst maintaining a healthy life/work balance.

Biology was by far my favourite topic this year, and luckily for me, my school combined my two favourite things forensics and biology. Forensic Science is, by far, the subject I'm looking forward to most! I'm not the biggest fan of chemistry. I realised how dry it was this year, but apparently I'm pretty good at it. I only chose Chemistry because Philosophy was full. I'm not so sure about Environmental Science. Not too sure what it's about, but my teacher really sold it to me! I'm incredibly nervous about Maths next year, as I didn't do too well this year. I've always found it a bit difficult to grasp the concepts in maths, but somehow I've managed to sneak my way into Advanced Maths.

My plans for VCE are (and study score goals):

Year 10: Health and Human Development 1/2
Year 11: Health and Human Development 3/4 [48], Literature 1/2, Global Politics 1/2, Legal Studies 1/2, Methods 1/2, Physics 1/2
Year 12: Global Politics 3/4 [37], Literature 3/4 [41] , Legal Studies 3/4 [39], Methods 3/4 [36], Physics 3/4 [39]

Dream Courses:

+ Bachelor of Science/Arts (Public Health & International Relations majors) @ University of Queensland
+ Bachelor of Applied Public Health/Global Studies @ ACU

I aspire to work at the World Health Organization! I know it's almost impossible, but I'm really dedicated to working towards this. If things fall through, I'd like to be an Environmental Health Officer or a Health Promotion Officer. I'd also love to be a nurse. I love the thought of helping people directly, but I also would like to study global politics. I don't think there are any nursing/global studies degrees out there. Mum's probably not gonna be happy to hear this, as she wants me to be a doctor D:

End note: I'm still a bit nervous about starting a journal. Over time, I think I'll be able to relax a bit and not be so boring lmao, Thank you so much for reading!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 01:12:39 am by daddyyshrek »
-- VCE goals --
2022: HHD [45]
2023: English [42], Biology [40], Methods [25], Physical Education [40], Global Politics [35]
ATAR: Anything that will get me into Physiotherapy

Dream Courses:
Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours) @ UQ
Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science/Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Deakin

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: ash's sad, sad journey through high school :))
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 08:55:28 am »
+7
Hey :)

Year 9 wasn't my best year either and then year 10 for me was really about trying to work my way out of that space. I didn't do those particular comps but I did do some competitive public speaking in high school and have done a mock un thing at uni - so much fun!

I noticed that bio isn't in your subject list, are you planning on picking this up in VCE?

Chemistry is a good complement to bio imo.

Do you specifically want to study in Queensland or is it more that you'll go to whichever state the course you want is in?

Having family think you should be a doctor if you're good at bio is pretty common - you're definitely not alone in that. I remember getting this too even though I've always been more interested in the ecology and environment side career-wise.

daddyyshrek

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 11:15:11 am »
+7
Hi Bri!

I've always dreamed of moving to Queensland. It seems like a beautiful place to be and hopefully an escape from our horrible Melbourne weather. I was thinking about picking up biology in VCE, but when I read the study design for physics, it just seemed so intriguing and interesting!
-- VCE goals --
2023: English [42], Biology [40], Methods [25], Physical Education [40], Global Politics [35]

Dream Courses:

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 11:48:46 am »
+8
Hi Ash. Nice to see another journal around!

I’m also a bit of a crime and forensic science buff. (Similar to you, I did a forensic science subject in Year 9, while I voraciously read crime novels and watched forensic science shows. It was one of the reasons why I chose a genetics degree in uni, actually.) Have you ever considered becoming a lawyer, just out of curiosity?

Given your aspirations, I’d also research the course structures of nursing courses. If there’s electives in your potential nursing degree, you might be able to slot in a few global politics-type subjects in there (although usually it would come under a slightly different title like Politics or International Relations). This way, you might be able to get the best of both worlds and have a lot more options available to you.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 11:51:39 am »
+13
I aspire to work at the World Health Organization! I know it's almost impossible, but I'm really dedicated to working towards this. If things fall through, I'd like to be an Environmental Health Officer or a Health Promotion Officer.

Hey Ash,

While I do understand that the World Health Organization application process may be a bit strenuous, I definitely don't think that it would be "impossible" for you at all! As long as you dedicate yourself to your studies and receive your best possible outcome whilst looking after yourself and others, then you're already one step ahead of your aspiration. If you are committed to this aspiration of working for the World Health Organization, then I would recommend researching as much as possible! Especially these in particular:

• The requirements for the roles that you have listed (Environmental Health Officer & Health Promotion Officer). Some job roles have specific requirements such as previous subjects studied or average grades in required subjects. But please do research this more as I don't know much about the World Health Organization or their requirements.
  • How the World Health Organization application process works. From what I can tell, the application process does seem to be a bit strenuous as according to their website, the process takes "several months" and involves "a number of steps" such as screening, written test, interview, and assessment centre.
  • Consider where you would like to work for the World Health Organization. From what I can tell by looking at the job description for the Public Health Officer (the closest job vacancy I could find to your preferences), some of the WHO job vacancies are National positions which means that only applicants of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.

Hopefully, this insight helps you a little bit but here are a few more tips and tricks that I would recommend for you to do to build an effective foundation of your aspiration:

- Connect with current/former World Health Organization employees. I know this may seem like a bit of a hassle and can seem a teeny tiny bit terrifying but I think that reaching out to people who have experienced your aspiration could be really worthwhile! Depending on how friendly they are, they could help outline the application process in a little bit more detail, describe their experiences applying for positions and being employed at WHO. Try Linkedin.
- Scour the World Health Organization website (+ if necessary, the internet) for more information. If the first option doesn't work out for you, then I would definitely recommend looking at the World Health Organization website as well! The best and most accurate information about the application process + the job positions would come from the World Health Organization itself so I think that would be a great place to start!
- Similar to the point above, you could also research their internship opportunities. One of the best stepping stones for any type of a career would definitely be work experience, work placement or an internship. By applying for a World Health Organization internship during your undergraduate degree, you could gain insight into the WHO experience and you may have the opportunity to ask any of your burning questions! However, please note that you have to be at least twenty years of age to apply for a WHO internship.

Here are also some links that you might find useful (I have attached some documents as well):

- World Health Organization Website: https://www.who.int/
- World Health Organization Application Process: https://www.who.int/careers/process/en/
- Sample Job Description (Public Health Officer): https://careers.who.int/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=2004373&tz=GMT%2B10%3A00&tzname=Australia%2FBrisbane
- WHO Internship Program: https://www.who.int/careers/internships/en/
- Getting A Job At the World Health Organization (Global Health with Greg Martin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYTW3eqtdr4

Hopefully, that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions, queries or concerns :)

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 11:53:44 am by s110820 »
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 09:41:49 pm »
+3
Hello!

My name is ashley, preferably ash. I'm currently in year 9 (class of 2023), but I guess you could consider me a year 10 now, as my school holidays have just started. I've been stalking all of the forums on AN for about a year now :)

A bit about me:

I have a passion for creative writing. I had originally planned on doing VCE Lit, but was advised against it sadly, as my writing might not be 'mature' enough :(( I also have a love for health, hence choosing HHD. I absolutely love all things crime. I've been binge watching all seasons of CSI and Law and Order. My goal for next year is to participate in The UN Youth Voice Competition and The Evatt Competition.

My subjects for year 10 include:

+ Advanced English
+ Advanced Maths
+ Forensic Science
+ Chemistry
+ Environmental Science
+ Health and Human Development (U1 & 2)

This year was an absolute FLOP for me. I didn't get the opportunity to learn at my full potential, and I did the bare minimum work. So, my plan for next year is to achieve the best grades I can, whilst maintaining a healthy life/work balance.

Biology was by far my favourite topic this year, and luckily for me, my school combined my two favourite things forensics and biology. Forensic Science is, by far, the subject I'm looking forward to most! I'm not the biggest fan of chemistry. I realised how dry it was this year, but apparently I'm pretty good at it. I only chose Chemistry because Philosophy was full. I'm not so sure about Environmental Science. Not too sure what it's about, but my teacher really sold it to me! I'm incredibly nervous about Maths next year, as I didn't do too well this year. I've always found it a bit difficult to grasp the concepts in maths, but somehow I've managed to sneak my way into Advanced Maths.

My plans for VCE are (and study score goals):

Year 10: Health and Human Development 1/2
Year 11: Health and Human Development 3/4 [48], Literature 1/2, Global Politics 1/2, Legal Studies 1/2, Methods 1/2, Physics 1/2
Year 12: Global Politics 3/4 [37], Literature 3/4 [41] , Legal Studies 3/4 [39], Methods 3/4 [36], Physics 3/4 [39]

Dream Courses:

+ Bachelor of Science/Arts (Public Health & International Relations majors) @ University of Queensland
+ Bachelor of Applied Public Health/Global Studies @ ACU

I aspire to work at the World Health Organization! I know it's almost impossible, but I'm really dedicated to working towards this. If things fall through, I'd like to be an Environmental Health Officer or a Health Promotion Officer. I'd also love to be a nurse. I love the thought of helping people directly, but I also would like to study global politics. I don't think there are any nursing/global studies degrees out there. Mum's probably not gonna be happy to hear this, as she wants me to be a doctor D:

End note: I'm still a bit nervous about starting a journal. Over time, I think I'll be able to relax a bit and not be so boring lmao, Thank you so much for reading!
Hello! Nice to see another person who loves creative writing! I didn't do Lit myself; instead, I just revelled in the single solitary creative SAC we had in VCE English. :D Anyway, nice to see a new journal.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

daddyyshrek

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 10:27:52 pm »
+1
Hi Ash. Nice to see another journal around!

I’m also a bit of a crime and forensic science buff. (Similar to you, I did a forensic science subject in Year 9, while I voraciously read crime novels and watched forensic science shows. It was one of the reasons why I chose a genetics degree in uni, actually.) Have you ever considered becoming a lawyer, just out of curiosity?

Given your aspirations, I’d also research the course structures of nursing courses. If there’s electives in your potential nursing degree, you might be able to slot in a few global politics-type subjects in there (although usually it would come under a slightly different title like Politics or International Relations). This way, you might be able to get the best of both worlds and have a lot more options available to you.

I did consider becoming a lawyer, but I couldn't see myself being happy as one. Also, I know there's a surplus of lawyers in Australia, so finding work might be a bit difficult with all of the competition. I'll definitely look into the course structure. Thank you so much for the advice!
-- VCE goals --

Dream Courses:

daddyyshrek

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 10:32:50 pm »
+1
Hey Ash,

While I do understand that the World Health Organization application process may be a bit strenuous, I definitely don't think that it would be "impossible" for you at all! As long as you dedicate yourself to your studies and receive your best possible outcome whilst looking after yourself and others, then you're already one step ahead of your aspiration. If you are committed to this aspiration of working for the World Health Organization, then I would recommend researching as much as possible! Especially these in particular:

• The requirements for the roles that you have listed (Environmental Health Officer & Health Promotion Officer). Some job roles have specific requirements such as previous subjects studied or average grades in required subjects. But please do research this more as I don't know much about the World Health Organization or their requirements.
  • How the World Health Organization application process works. From what I can tell, the application process does seem to be a bit strenuous as according to their website, the process takes "several months" and involves "a number of steps" such as screening, written test, interview, and assessment centre.
  • Consider where you would like to work for the World Health Organization. From what I can tell by looking at the job description for the Public Health Officer (the closest job vacancy I could find to your preferences), some of the WHO job vacancies are National positions which means that only applicants of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.

Hopefully, this insight helps you a little bit but here are a few more tips and tricks that I would recommend for you to do to build an effective foundation of your aspiration:

- Connect with current/former World Health Organization employees. I know this may seem like a bit of a hassle and can seem a teeny tiny bit terrifying but I think that reaching out to people who have experienced your aspiration could be really worthwhile! Depending on how friendly they are, they could help outline the application process in a little bit more detail, describe their experiences applying for positions and being employed at WHO. Try Linkedin.
- Scour the World Health Organization website (+ if necessary, the internet) for more information. If the first option doesn't work out for you, then I would definitely recommend looking at the World Health Organization website as well! The best and most accurate information about the application process + the job positions would come from the World Health Organization itself so I think that would be a great place to start!
- Similar to the point above, you could also research their internship opportunities. One of the best stepping stones for any type of a career would definitely be work experience, work placement or an internship. By applying for a World Health Organization internship during your undergraduate degree, you could gain insight into the WHO experience and you may have the opportunity to ask any of your burning questions! However, please note that you have to be at least twenty years of age to apply for a WHO internship.

Here are also some links that you might find useful (I have attached some documents as well):

- World Health Organization Website: https://www.who.int/
- World Health Organization Application Process: https://www.who.int/careers/process/en/
- Sample Job Description (Public Health Officer): https://careers.who.int/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=2004373&tz=GMT%2B10%3A00&tzname=Australia%2FBrisbane
- WHO Internship Program: https://www.who.int/careers/internships/en/
- Getting A Job At the World Health Organization (Global Health with Greg Martin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYTW3eqtdr4

Hopefully, that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions, queries or concerns :)

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

Thank you so much for the advice, you bloody legend! I can't believe you took your time to research all of this. Definitely will look into this ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ
-- VCE goals --

Dream Courses:

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 09:06:06 pm »
+3
Hey Ash! Reading your journal has already been super interesting. Genuinely can't wait to see more. I was in year 10 this year and the "doing the bare minimum" is something I couldn't relate more with ngl. I love how you have such a broad range of subjects and career interests especially the WHO goal you are working towards. All the best with all of your subjects next year! I'm sure you'll ace everything. You got this ❤️ ;D
- bluebird 🌻
VCE 2021: Biology | HHD [50]
VCE 2022: Methods | Chemistry | Literature | English Language

daddyyshrek

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 10:07:27 pm »
+4
It's been a while, so I thought I'd update this journal!
Summer Holidays
Spoiler
I had a bloody amazing summer holiday. I've been pretty productive this time round. I watched a LOT of BBL and test cricket. Been a disappointing season for the Stars, but that's a discussion for another time. I've picked up a few more hobbies as well! I've started a bullet journal, which is incredibly hard work, but I enjoy the rewarding feeling that I get after. I've also gotten back into playing tennis. Back in year 7 I loved playing it, and could play for hours on end. Unfortunately I fell out of it for a while, but I missed the rush of excitement that I got whilst playing. I've also started learn Japanese. I'm finding it to be a bit easy, as Mandarin is my first language, though it does get really challenging at times. I volunteered at the Red Cross Op Shop for most of the holidays, but have since given up the job to focus on school. I had an amazing time there and met so many beautiful people. I really recommend it to anybody looking for volunteering opportunities or looking for work experience! I've since decided to join the St John's ambulance Youth program. It hasn't started yet, but I'm really looking forward to the sessions!

Aspirations
Spoiler
Though my WHO dream was long lived, I realised I wanted to pursue something more hands on and something that'd have a more direct affect on others. I'd like to be a Sports Physiotherapist now! I really enjoy talking to people and I guess seeing people benefit from my help, really brightens my day. Since sport and patient care are some of my passions, I think I'd really suit this job!

School
Spoiler
Subjects this semester: English, Humanities, Advanced Maths, HHD 1/2, Core Science, Forensic Science, P.E

I've only been back at school for three days and I feel like I've already been bombarded with homework lol. This year I've made a commitment to get involved more not only at school, but also outside of school. So, I'm joining the Debate team and the Justice and Democracy group this year!

HHD
I had my first official HHD class this week and I absolutely loved it! The content is easy and super interesting, which really makes me look forward to doing the work. Though, I haven't managed to make any friends in the class. I feel a bit lonely, as the only year 10. It's a bit hard to make friends as everyone already has their established groups, and it feels like I'm intruding a bit when I talk to them. Hopefully I can make a couple of mates in the next few classes!

Advanced Maths
I've never really been a maths kind of person, so as expected, I'm not really enjoying maths too much. Overall not a bad subject, but I find the English and Humanities based subjects to be so much more engaging and less repetitive. I have my first test next Thursday, so I've been doing heaps and heaps of practise questions (wish me luck ;-;).

Humanities
I'm currently learning about World War I, which is actually a lot more interesting than I expected. I feel really lucky to have a teacher who seems really passionate about Humanities as a whole. She makes it seem so fun and engaging. Not much to say about it, I'm just enjoying it much more this year!

Goals and plans for 2021
Spoiler
This year I plan to find a work/life balance. My whole life I haven't put much focus into studying and just spent most of my time watching TV, so I definitely hope to change that. Here are my goals/plans for 2021!

- Win a debate against Haileybury (hope I don't get doxxed)
- Join my local Cricket Club
- Develop a consistent study routine
- Average high B+ across all subjects (excluding Maths)
- Average B in Maths

Thank you so much for reading!

- ash <3
-- VCE goals --

Dream Courses:

labmember009

• Adventurer
  • amor fati
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 06:31:23 am »
+4
Hi! I can completely relate to being the only year 10 in a class full of year 11s because that was me for a few of my classes last year. I was actually trembling on my first day because they all seemed so intimidating haha. I would suggest that you sit next to the “nicer” looking ones or ones that don’t sit in a big group of friends. It’s easier to become friendly with at least a few of them that way.

And wow! I started on a bullet journal over the holidays too and it’s pretty fun. Are you using yours as more of an organisational tool or creative outlet?

Have fun in year 10 and be sure to make the most out of it!
2021: Psychology [43]
2022: English Language, Methods, Specialist, Biology, Chemistry

daddyyshrek

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 09:30:57 pm »
+2
Hi! I can completely relate to being the only year 10 in a class full of year 11s because that was me for a few of my classes last year. I was actually trembling on my first day because they all seemed so intimidating haha. I would suggest that you sit next to the “nicer” looking ones or ones that don’t sit in a big group of friends. It’s easier to become friendly with at least a few of them that way.

And wow! I started on a bullet journal over the holidays too and it’s pretty fun. Are you using yours as more of an organisational tool or creative outlet?

Have fun in year 10 and be sure to make the most out of it!

I'll definitely give that a go. Thanks for the advice! I guess I'm using my bullet journal as both an organisation tool and a creative outlet. I've always loved doing little scribbles in my notebooks, and I'm also keeping track of my habits and work in my journal.
-- VCE goals --

Dream Courses: